Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!

Go down 
+3
Mass Distraction
MSR
DampRevil
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

Playstation Network DampRevil

Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! Empty
PostSubject: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Dee-Ay, the SPEC OPS Echo Six leader from Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, is gay according to the game's writers. You can read the interview here! I applaud the writers for creating a male lead who is gay.
Back to top Go down
MSR
User BANNED
User BANNED

Playstation Network Screw Sony

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 1:10 am

I heard a kinda mean but funny line about gays awhile back.

God has a plan for all gay people, AIDS is just the beginning!

As far as the character...don't remember who he is. I just remember that tubby bastard, Beltway, as well as Vector.

Wasn't a fan of the wolf pack really. I would have preferred the Umbrella special forces team to wear the same gear as HUNK and all the other USS members. Not the ridiculous and extremely diverse types of gear, just so they are all distinguishing. And invisibility? Hecks naw.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 am

Well, that was unexpected. This is pretty cool, actually. Nice find!
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Known_Hero
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

Playstation Network Known_Hero

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 9:31 am

All of the characters from RE:ORC have interesting backgrounds. The problem is their personalities were never displayed in game. Beltway is suppose to be the comedian but fails to tell any jokes during gameplay. Lazy writing by Slant Six.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 9:42 am

Yeah, what's the point of making personalities and backgrounds if you're never going to take advantage of it? It's like making a movie and you create a colorful world and when you go watch it the film is shot in black and white.
Back to top Go down
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

Playstation Network DARIOC2013

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 am

not only the didn't take advantage of the background, half of the characters are dlc only
Back to top Go down
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 2:22 pm

In terms of fleshed out characters, the interview mentioned that the characters' personalities were meant to come through in the game. However, there was a lot of translation issues between Capcom and Slant Six. I'm assuming the translation errors are the reason why the characters seem bland.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 7:41 pm

DampRevil wrote:
Dee-Ay, the SPEC OPS Echo Six leader from Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, is gay according to the game's writers. You can read the interview here! I applaud the writers for creating a male lead who is gay.
And was it at all relevant to the game's story or other characters in any way? By the comments so far in this topic, I'd say it wasn't. So, really, there isn't anything to applaud. Capcom could come out (no pun intended) tomorrow and say, "Hey, guess what? Jill has dug chicks all these years!", but it wouldn't be anything more than superficial unless it was revealed in the course of a game or movie with an impact of some kind on the plot or characters around her.
Back to top Go down
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Dee-Ay being gay would have been somewhat relevant to Operation Raccoon City. It wouldn't have been relevant to the story, but it would have been relevant in making a more believable character. Take The Last Of Us for example. Bill is gay, but it has no impact on the story. It does, however, make him a more realistic character.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:39 pm

DampRevil wrote:
Dee-Ay being gay would have been somewhat relevant to Operation Raccoon City. It wouldn't have been relevant to the story, but it would have been relevant in making a more believable character. Take The Last Of Us for example. Bill is gay, but it has no impact on the story. It does, however, make him a more realistic character.  
How would ORC have been different had you known this before you played it? How would TLoU have been different if Bill hadn't been gay? Nothing in either game would have changed because the games had nothing to do with these characters' sexual preferences. This is what I mean by relevant.

There's nothing different or special about writing an LBGT character, nor does doing so make the author unique or groundbreaking.
Back to top Go down
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 1:49 am

I know it wouldn't be relevant to the story, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. It wouldn't have changed the course of the game, but I find it to be a nice touch on a character. Instead of being this typical "male, macho super soldier", he's a gay man who's just dedicated to serving his country.

Having a LGBT character isn't unique or groundbreaking, but there's certainly nothing groundbreaking about characters like Chris or Leon either. I think the gaming market is over saturated with macho male characters who are all the same essentially. I just think characters like Dee-Ay are a nice change from the normal, whether it's relevant or not.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 am

I think the most interesting part about this piece of news is that he is quite possible the first (officially) gay character in a series that has run for almost 20 years now.

The times, they be changing.
Back to top Go down
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 pm

That they be.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Sorry if my innate cynicism is getting the best of me again, but when people stop seeing LGBT characters in media as something "different", then times will have changed. Until then, they aren't getting any different because LGBTs still aren't seen as a normal component of society.
Back to top Go down
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 7:43 pm

I didn't mean that LGBT characters are different, I meant that you don't see a lot of games that feature gay characters. When we do get a gay protagonist it's always welcomed, at least to me. I'm just tired of seeing the same type of protagonist over and over again. It's like the video game industry had a mold of how a male protagonist should be portrayed and how a female protagonist should be portrayed. When the mold is broken, it's refreshing.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Too bad there are no protagonists in ORC.
Back to top Go down
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Technically the entire Spec-Ops team are protagonists.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 6:05 pm

DampRevil wrote:
Technically the entire Spec-Ops team are protagonists.
I can argue against that.

pro·tag·o·nist
prōˈtagənist,prō-/
noun

The leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.

There really isn't a leading character in the story since the story is a scatter-brained mess. Plus if you're playing as Unbrella, then you're fighting the protagonists? No. The role would switch as they're the characters you're following.

So if you really want to say "Technically" you have to follow up with "there are no protagonists in ORC."

Just because a character is evil doesn't make him the antagonist in the story, look at Despicable Me if you don't believe me.
Back to top Go down
DampRevil
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
DampRevil

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:13 pm

If you wanna get that technical, then yeah, you're right. In the broad sense though, the Spec Ops are the protagonists while the Wolf Pack are the antagonists. The Spec Ops are the heroes of the story as they're trying to eliminate the threat in Raccoon City. The Wolf Pack are the antagonists since they're working for a very evil company.

There's also multiple classes of protagonists too, not just the leading character. Same applies to antagonists.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 8:47 pm

DampRevil wrote:
If you wanna get that technical, then yeah, you're right. In the broad sense though, the Spec Ops are the protagonists while the Wolf Pack are the antagonists. The Spec Ops are the heroes of the story as they're trying to eliminate the threat in Raccoon City. The Wolf Pack are the antagonists since they're working for a very evil company.
No, a protagonist isn't by definition a good guy, he/she is simply the central character of the story. Kratos in God of War III, for example, is a straight up villain, yet he's the game's main protagonist while the Gods of Olympus, who are fighting in the typically heroic hope of preserving Olympus and the rest of the world, are the antagonists. The role of the antagonist is to compete against the protagonist, thus he can be either good or evil depending on the protagonists' alignment. Because ORC can be played from different perspectives, the roles of protagonist and antagonist differ depending on which campaign you're playing.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 3:57 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
Sorry if my innate cynicism is getting the best of me again, but when people stop seeing LGBT characters in media as something "different", then times will have changed. Until then, they aren't getting any different because LGBTs still aren't seen as a normal component of society.

For that to happen we'll just need developers to use different sexualities in games more often, not just in some chosen RPGs where it'll be a player option.
Back to top Go down
MSR
User BANNED
User BANNED

Playstation Network Screw Sony

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 1:25 am

DampRevil wrote:
If you wanna get that technical, then yeah, you're right.

He does want to get that technical, it's called Vandalism.

@Mass, ok, we get it, you and homosexual characters. (;
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 1:59 am

Hey, I'm the original Technical Timmy here, and don't any of you forget it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!   Interesting fact about Dee-Ay! Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting fact about Dee-Ay!
Page 1 of 1