HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

How do you currently feel about the franchise?

Go down 
+8
Teh Black Cat
RaviorStygian
Industrial Ridden
Mass Distraction
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Lightning Count
Vandal
GTMippey
12 posters
AuthorMessage
GTMippey
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
GTMippey

How do you currently feel about the franchise? Empty
PostSubject: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 am

Hi everyone Smile I'm new to the threads, but I'm a massive RE fan, been around since the 1st game on PSX and own them all from 1-6, including all the spinoffs. Just want to see what everyone's opinion is on how RE is progressing at the moment; thoughts on 6 etc. This isn't intended to be one of those action vs horror threads or anything like that, i just want to get to know a few of the fellow fans around here and see what the general consensus is Smile What would you like to see in future installments? Which game is your favourite and why?

Mine is RE2 for the record, my top RE game and one of my favourite videogames of all time Smile

P.S, apologies in advance if there's already been 1000 of these kinds of threads in the past, which wouldn't surprise me!

Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 am

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your time here. While you still can.

My series favorite is Resident Evil 4; it was way more face paced than previous titles I played, it was overall a better experience.

I feel without real direction, Resident Evil is going to fail. They don't know what fans like anymore. Wherever they plan on taking the series, I'm not sure if I like it. I did open a Resident Evil 7 discussion where I express my feelings on the next installment, so to do it again would be redundant.
Back to top Go down
GTMippey
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
GTMippey

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 am

Mercy wrote:
Welcome to the forums, enjoy your time here. While you still can.

My series favorite is Resident Evil 4; it was way more face paced than previous titles I played, it was overall a better experience.

I feel without real direction, Resident Evil is going to fail. They don't know what fans like anymore. Wherever they plan on taking the series, I'm not sure if I like it. I did open a Resident Evil 7 discussion where I express my feelings on the next installment, so to do it again would be redundant.

Thanks, Mercy Very Happy

RE4 is one of my favourites too, to me it still felt like a traditional RE game despite all the changes. The atmosphere was retained and the whole village area is one of the standouts of the series IMO.

To be honest, after 6 I kind of feel the same. I felt like they tried to pack a little too much in and parts of it broke at the seams. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and would like a return to roots with 7, but I thoroughly enjoyed 4 5 and Revelations as well, to me they felt more like games and less like hollywood movies.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:47 am

I feel there's a lot Capcom can do, but without Shinji Mikami in the director's chair, the series has little hope. Mikami did things, not to increase the popularity, but to advance the franchise as a whole. I feel that Capcom recognizes Resident Evil as an accomplishment and only does things to make it more popular with new gamers.

And Reaident Evil 4 had the traditional Resident Evil controls, unlike 5 and 6.

Last edited by Mercy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GTMippey
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
GTMippey

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:59 am

Mercy wrote:
I feel there's a lot Capcom can do, but without Shinji Mikami in the director's chair, the series has little hope. Mikami did things that weren't to increase the popularity, but to advance the franchise as a whole. I feel that Capcom recognizes Resident Evil as an accomplishment and only does things to make it more popular with new gamers.

And Reaident Evil 4 had the traditional Resident Evil controls, unlike 5 and 6.

Agreed, Resi 6 didn't really take any risks and came off as a generic shooter as a result. The developers even said they wanted a slice of the Call of Duty pie, but i don't think that should mean compromising what made the series stand out in the first place. The problem is, if your average joe wants a shooter, they'll likely go to the one that's already the most popular and the one that all their friends are playing, which is likely to be COD, Halo or Gears of War. Resi 6 should, in my opinion, have tried to stand out as something different. Nowdays, it really comes down to advertising and word of mouth.
Back to top Go down
Lightning Count
Cerberus
Cerberus
Lightning Count

Playstation Network LightningCamaro

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:00 am

I feel the series needs to go back to basics.

Go back to the RE4/5 control system, less crazy hollywood action movie stuff and go back to pure survival horror goodness.

What I'd like to see is a setting similar to RE2/RE3, where the objective is to escape alive from a city on the brink of disaster, rather than save the world. Keep the new enemy types but bring the series back to what made it so good.

Also bring back Mikami, the RE ship needs it rightful Captain at the helm to keep things on the right path.
Back to top Go down
GTMippey
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
GTMippey

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 am

Lightning Count wrote:
I feel the series needs to go back to basics.

Go back to the RE4/5 control system, less crazy hollywood action movie stuff and go back to pure survival horror goodness.

What I'd like to see is a setting similar to RE2/RE3, where the objective is to escape alive from a city on the brink of disaster, rather than save the world. Keep the new enemy types but bring the series back to what made it so good.

Also bring back Mikami, the RE ship needs it rightful Captain at the helm to keep things on the right path.

I always enjoyed the series' more smaller-scaled stories. The PSX trilogy especially worked in that regard because the story didn't revolve around the characters; it was simply them trying to escape or learn about something that was much bigger than them. I'd like to see some new, inexperienced characters take center-stage, and bring back a sense of vulnerability that's been missing for ages.

Last edited by GTMippey on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 am

@Lightning: That's impossible. Mikami left Capcom and started his own business. He's currently working on a game with a project name: Zwei.
Back to top Go down
Lightning Count
Cerberus
Cerberus
Lightning Count

Playstation Network LightningCamaro

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 am

Mercy wrote:
@Lightning: That's impossible. Mikami left Capcom and started his own business. He's currently working on a game with a project name: Zwei.

Leave him out of it then, that aside what do you think of the direction I think the series should go?
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 am

Lightning Count wrote:
Mercy wrote:

Leave him out of it then
How do you currently feel about the franchise? Picard-facepalm

Last edited by Mercy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 am

I think series are doing well, well i might be more of an action fan and thats why i like the new direction in RE, but i understand you guys wanting the old style back, but will it sell? i mean its not only about Shinji mikaiami, capcom can make a good hor sur game without him, Hor Sur motion limitations and New game engine graphics together, doesn't sound that good. Welcome to the forums GTM.

TBW @Lighting, Cro Cop rules!
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 am

I'm fine with what we have now, they just need to balance the stuff out instead of going all over the place.

My personal top 3 is RE3, RE5 and Dead Aim so I'm pretty much content with all of the directions we've had.

I do agree with the series getting more and more generic with each new title, while RER was a nice change of pace. I would enjoy it if they would make a classic style game, maybe a remake, an Outbreak or something like RER in between main titles. As for main titles, they need to keep refining them, which means there's no going back to tank controls and fixed camera angles.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Industrial Ridden
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Industrial Ridden

Playstation Network Jagerdu

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 12:16 pm

I don't really mind the direction the series is headed, it just doesn't feel like RE. I still like it and I will play them over and over, especially now with the high replay value of DLC, and TONS of unlockables, something which the older games lacked. They only had like two or three infinite weapons with like one special mode and costume. I also like the plot and how it's all unfolding. It's a shame that my favorite character is dead (Wesker), but hopefully Jake will make a good impression on the Wesker family. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RaviorStygian
UBCS
UBCS
RaviorStygian

Playstation Network RaviorStygian

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm

I'm totally fine with how the franchise is going now. The games are still quality (ORC notwithstanding) and very fun to play. I believe the series peaked with RE4, and I doubt there will ever be an RE game as good as that one, but I don't need one to be. All I want from the RE series is to stay fun. Oh, and of course retain the theme of the franchise: Bioterrorism.

I actually hope the series goes back to an RE4 type game where the whole thing is like a personal journey and is very customizable. RE4 is easily the biggest RE game. The actual length of the campaign and the shear amount of little things littered throughout is astounding. I always find something new with every playthrough. There was just so much painstaking effort put into it. It's as if they took hours with every little detail. If there's something I want from another installment it would be that much effort.
Back to top Go down
Teh Black Cat
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Teh Black Cat

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Welcome to the forums! Smile

To answer the threads topic; While I think the change from strictly survival horror to more action was needed, they didn't need to remove so much of the horror. I like action games, they're my favorite but there's already too many which leads to a lot of competition. Resident Evil is known for it's horror, removing so much of it with clearly upset and disappoint people. Also, the fact reviewers always seem give the newer games such bad ratings (because they compare them too much to the older games) will scare new gamers away, fearing they'll be bad. I've posted RE topics on other gaming forums in the past, for them only to be spammed with "lolresidentevil the new games suck!!". In my opinion they really don't. I like them a lot more than most action games out there now, but people just can't seem to accept the series has changed. A lot of gamers always get butthurt when a new game of a series is released, and it's a little different because of nostalgia. It's starting to happen with the Halo series now.
Back to top Go down
chrisredfielmusculo
Licker
Licker

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 pm

i feel like they should go back to the survival horror roots
of this franchise,easy up on the action and just do a real survival horror game
something similar to lost in nightmares would be very nice,thats what i was hoping
resident evil 6 would be,but i was dissapointed to see how it turned out

also by all means,i dont think the new games suck,i like them a lot
but i wish they had more horror in them,even too they had quite some nice releases
like revelations,and i consider resident evil 4 to be a horror and action game
rather then just action like resident evil 5
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:17 pm

I guess one reason as to why they don't put as much horror into the games now is because they probably think that people don't get as scared as they used to. If that's the case, then they're wrong. When I first played REmake, Crimson Heads scared me. They still usually do. Imagine if they remade 2 and 3 (a true REmake). Then imagine a game with the OTS camera.
Back to top Go down
Industrial Ridden
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Industrial Ridden

Playstation Network Jagerdu

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Nobudy wrote:
I guess one reason as to why they don't put as much horror into the games now is because they probably think that people don't get as scared as they used to. If that's the case, then they're wrong. When I first played REmake, Crimson Heads scared me. They still usually do. Imagine if they remade 2 and 3 (a true REmake). Then imagine a game with the OTS camera.

I think the main reason why games are more action these days are because like half of the gaming community is COD fanboys and they expect every game to be action. So in order to compete with other games, Capcom has to be able to compare with them.
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm

You've got a point there.
Back to top Go down
chocotricks
Hunter
Hunter
chocotricks

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Ill love it no matter where it goes
Back to top Go down
MSR
User BANNED
User BANNED

Playstation Network Screw Sony

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 am

chrisredfielmusculo wrote:
something similar to lost in nightmares would be very nice,thats what i was hoping

but i wish they had more horror in them,even too they had quite some nice releases

They should definately ease up on the action. I like action as much as the next guy, but I would like an RE game that's not going all over the globe.

What's wrong with being in a single state?

Honestly, I'd love to see an entire RE game, in a single building, like a large building, maybe a tall one like you'd see in New York or something. Think Die Hard, without the Hard.

Just a building you are stuck in, maybe you have to search for someone, like survivors, having zombies and BOWs. Also traveling from floor to floor, like in RE3's Hospital and The Hive in Outbreak, via elevator. Have a staircase too. Just stuff like that, not going from Africa, to China, to Europe, to Hawaii and all kinds of places. This isn't Resident Evil: Travelocity, with T-infected Gnomes.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 am

Wow, when you said "Takes place in a building" I immediately thought Die Hard. Then you typed "Think Die Hard."

Capcom said they didn't intentionally make it a larger scale, and they could scale it down in later games, but I really don't believe that.
Back to top Go down
chrisredfielmusculo
Licker
Licker

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:27 am

Spike Reaver wrote:
chrisredfielmusculo wrote:

They should definately ease up on the action. I like action as much as the next guy, but I would like an RE game that's not going all over the globe.

What's wrong with being in a single state?

Honestly, I'd love to see an entire RE game, in a single building, like a large building, maybe a tall one like you'd see in New York or something. Think Die Hard, without the Hard.

Just a building you are stuck in, maybe you have to search for someone, like survivors, having zombies and BOWs. Also traveling from floor to floor, like in RE3's Hospital and The Hive in Outbreak, via elevator. Have a staircase too. Just stuff like that, not going from Africa, to China, to Europe, to Hawaii and all kinds of places. This isn't Resident Evil: Travelocity, with T-infected Gnomes.

for shure,i like action games has well,and i am completly
fine for capcom to make some resident evil titles that are pretty much just an action game here and there
(like resident evil 5),but for now on they should really ease up on the action
capcom still could make a very good survival horror game if they really tried
revelations and the dlc:lost in nightmares proved that

and even too i havent played
resident evil 6 yet,the skill point sistem(watcha buying)and the gameplay in general kinda dissapointed me
inovation is good,but for what i have seen the game looks like a weird shooter or something
not hating on the game or its fans,i havent even played it yet,so i cant judge it that wel,if you like it,thats great
but for me personally,i didnt really like what i have seen

i wish resident evil 7 will be mainly an horror game with just a bit of action
to make things more interesting,i was hoping that resident evil 6 would be something similar like
lost in nightmares,if you show resident evil 2 and resident evil 5 to people that dont know the series
they problably wouldnt know they belong to the same franchise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you currently feel about the franchise?   How do you currently feel about the franchise? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you currently feel about the franchise?
Page 1 of 1