Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Horror game franchises EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Horror game franchises EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Horror game franchises EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Horror game franchises EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Horror game franchises EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Horror game franchises EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Horror game franchises EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Horror game franchises EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Horror game franchises EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Horror game franchises

Go down 
+6
White Rock
ChrisSherry
Methsia
ThomVD
DeadlyGenetics
Mass Distraction
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

Horror game franchises Empty
PostSubject: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm

I know there's already a bunch of topics on what are your favorite horror games and what horror games you're playing but now I just want to know if anyone knows any interesting horror game series I don't. I'm planning on making a series of blogs about them, maybe next year or so, with 31 best and/or recommended series leading up to Halloween in October of the year I actually get this done on. Procrastination ftw!

Note, that I said series, not singular titles. I might do one about those after this one.

Here's what I've gathered thus far:
  • Resident Evil
  • Silent Hill
  • Project Zero
  • Obscure
  • Siren
  • Dino Crisis
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Condemned
  • Doom
  • Clock Tower
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Parasite Eve
  • The Suffering
  • SystemShock/BioShock
  • Amnesia
  • Penumbra
  • Dead Space
  • Alan Wake
  • Corpse Party
  • Galerians
  • Dementium
  • Manhunt
  • Darkest Fear
    -------------------
  • Call of Cthulhu (Dark Corners of the Earth)
  • Eternal Darkness (Sanity's Requiem)
    -------------------
  • House of the Dead
  • Castlevania
  • Dead Rising
  • Alien vs. Predator
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Dead Island
  • Walking Dead

New stuff, thanks for Kino and ChrisSherry for help:
  • Dark Seed
  • Nightmare Creatures
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • D
  • OverBlood
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Shadow of the Beast
  • Blood
  • Elvira
  • Necronomicon
  • Haunted House
  • Saw
  • Alice

As you can propably see, I'm cutting a few edges with the list. Basically that means I'm taking into consideration games that are merely horror themed, as long as it's a prominent element, and also would-be-series. By the latter I mean series that were either supposed to be (Call of Cthulhu) OR are going to be (Walking Dead) actual series.

What I would like to get rid of on the list is Alien vs. Predator because those games (Alien, Predator AND AvP) are so numerous and scattered on so many platforms that researching all of them would be a total pain. Some other titles could also be replaced with "true" horror games.

Absent from the list is Chzo Mythos and other freeware horror series but that's only because I have other plans for those.

Further notice: If you're willing to help me write, gather information or to just share your knowledge on a title, I'll be happy to accept your help. Everyone who helped will be featured on said title's page. I'll be posting the blogs on Screwattack and possibly Tumblr.

Last edited by Mass Distraction on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:33 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
DeadlyGenetics
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
DeadlyGenetics

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 10:28 pm

I knew this all along! How about those monkies in a barrel? And procrastination has it's fun moments.

Last edited by DeadlyGenetics on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

Playstation Network ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Fatal Frame = Project Zero
Back to top Go down
Methsia
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
Methsia

Steam : Mez

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 12:50 am

Fatal Frame/Project Zero is fun, the second one doesn't work for me and I want to get the third costume. Fudge Fatal Frame 1 ;_; I've gotten the first costume and that is IT.
Back to top Go down
DeadlyGenetics
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
DeadlyGenetics

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 1:19 am

ThomVD wrote:
Fatal Frame = Project Zero

I don't know what you're talking about. >-> *whistles*

Methsia wrote:
Fatal Frame/Project Zero is fun, the second one doesn't work for me and I want to get the third costume. Fudge Fatal Frame 1 ;_; I've gotten the first costume and that is IT.

I played the second one first, the close up of Sae when you lose the Camera Obscura is freaky, you can see where the rope was around her neck and her laugh is just horrible.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:40 am

After some talking with Kino, I've got quite a few additions to the list:
  • Dark Seed
  • Nightmare Creatures
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • D
  • OverBlood
  • Phantasmagoria
  • Shadow of the Beast
  • Blood
  • Elvira
  • Necronomicon
  • Haunted House
Back to top Go down
ChrisSherry
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
ChrisSherry

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 12:11 am

(Edited because I misread/misunderstood what was really wanted. Sorry about that Mass, I saw horror and I got carried away. lol)

Devil May Cry,
American McGee's Alice,
Saw,

Last edited by ChrisSherry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Okay, note that I said series, not singular games. That already rules out most of the games from that list. Some of those aren't really horror anyway.

I also don't look for freeware horror games because I already made a list of those: [link]

What I did, however, get from that list were Saw and Alice. So thanks for those.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

Playstation Network ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Eternal Darkness is a series?
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:39 pm

ThomVD wrote:
Eternal Darkness is a series?
I have it on hold, really. That's why I have it in it's own different space with Cthulhu. I was getting pretty desperate when I first made the list and found out that the game is actually supposed to have a sequel on Wii U.

Now I do, however, have quite a bunch of actual series to replace that.
Back to top Go down
ChrisSherry
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
ChrisSherry

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
Okay, note that I said series, not singular games. That already rules out most of the games from that list. Some of those aren't really horror anyway.

I also don't look for freeware horror games because I already made a list of those: [link]

What I did, however, get from that list were Saw and Alice. So thanks for those.

Oops, my bad... oh well. At least you got a couple out of it.

Personally, I think you could count Devil May Cry as a horror series. But it's your project. Smile
Good luck! if I come up with anything else, I will let you know Wink
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Eternal Darkness never had a sequel. Those posted are very popular. I'm not convinced Dead Rising counts, though. I don't think having zombies in a game qualifies it as horror. Dead Rising is more like an open world adventure that just has zombies in it, but there's nothing really scary about it because nothing in those games invokes any sort of fear.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 7:31 am

White Rock wrote:
Eternal Darkness never had a sequel. Those posted are very popular. I'm not convinced Dead Rising counts, though. I don't think having zombies in a game qualifies it as horror. Dead Rising is more like an open world adventure that just has zombies in it, but there's nothing really scary about it because nothing in those games invokes any sort of fear.
I know DR isn't really horror, that's why I'm scratching it off the list now that I've actually got some very prominent actual horror games. When I did the original list I was kinda running out of ideas for franchises.

Eternal Darkness is a placeholder merely for the rumors of a sequel for the Wii U. That game, too, will get replaced.
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:54 am

Speaking of a sequel to ED... I remember during the game, when it played tricks on your mind, there was a fake promo for ED: Sanity's Redemption. Too bad a ED sequel never happened.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 5:06 am

White Rock wrote:
Speaking of a sequel to ED... I remember during the game, when it played tricks on your mind, there was a fake promo for ED: Sanity's Redemption. Too bad a ED sequel never happened.
According to Wikipedia...

"In November 2011, Silicon Knights claimed they wanted to focus on one of their most requested titles for the next generation of consoles. This combined with the fact Nintendo had trademarked the title once again, spawned rumours that another Eternal Darkness game would be made as a launch title for the Wii U."
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Why hasn't there been another Siren game by now? Siren was a great alternative to the more recent RE games in that it required you to think about things and not just go all James Bond!
Back to top Go down
Mister Albert Wesker
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Mister Albert Wesker

Playstation Network the-evilking
Steam : Hoxton47

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 pm

• Resident Evil-Completed
  • Silent Hill-Completed
  • Project Zero-
  • Obscure-
  • Siren-Completed
  • Dino Crisis-Completed
  • F.E.A.R.-
  • Condemned-Completed
  • Doom-Completed and still playing
  • Clock Tower-
  • Alone in the Dark-Completed
  • Parasite Eve
  • The Suffering-Completed
  • SystemShock/BioShock-Completed
  • Amnesia-Completed
  • Penumbra-Completed
  • Dead Space-Completed
  • Alan Wake-Completed
  • Corpse Party
  • Galerians
  • Dementium
  • Manhunt-Completed (1 of my favorite games) Remove this from list it isn't a horror game...
    -------------------
  • Call of Cthulhu (Dark Corners of the Earth)
  • Eternal Darkness (Sanity's Requiem)
    -------------------
  • House of the Dead
  • Castlevania
  • Dead Rising-Completed
  • Alien vs. Predator-Completed
  • Left 4 Dead-Completed
  • Dead Island-COMPLETED!!!
  • Walking Dead
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:45 am

White Rock wrote:
Why hasn't there been another Siren game by now? Siren was a great alternative to the more recent RE games in that it required you to think about things and not just go all James Bond!
Good question. The last thing Project Siren developed was Gravity Rush on the Vita this year. Wonder what their next project is?

Mister Albert Wesker wrote:
Manhunt-Completed (1 of my favorite games) Remove this from list it isn't a horror game...
Actually it is listed as a psychological horror game. The type of horror might be different but it is, indeed, a horror game.
Back to top Go down
Mister Albert Wesker
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Mister Albert Wesker

Playstation Network the-evilking
Steam : Hoxton47

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
White Rock wrote:
Good question. The last thing Project Siren developed was Gravity Rush on the Vita this year. Wonder what their next project is?

Mister Albert Wesker wrote:
Manhunt-Completed (1 of my favorite games) Remove this from list it isn't a horror game...
Actually it is listed as a psychological horror game. The type of horror might be different but it is, indeed, a horror game.
Oh ok then.
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Thought there was supposed to be a new ObsCure game. At least according to its Wikia wiki. Oh well. Should have known anything on Wikia was hearsay as per usual...

ObsCure III = do want!
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Just remembered a new one when posting a reply on another thread. Darkest Fear, a mobile horror trilogy created by Rovio. Yes, the same company now known for Angry Birds.
Back to top Go down
Valentine Fan
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
Valentine Fan

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Silent Hill 3 is probably the only other horror-based game I've played, but then again I haven't been playing alot of games recently. The game in itself isn't scary, but that music wears down on me after awhile.
Back to top Go down
JamTyrantH
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
JamTyrantH

Playstation Network J4m13hh93

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:45 pm

nightmare creatures is great. could dantes inferno be included? its not a horror game as such but there is some horrible things in it.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 am

JamTyrantH wrote:
nightmare creatures is great. could dantes inferno be included? its not a horror game as such but there is some horrible things in it.
If Castlevania is there then I guess Dante's Inferno would work too. The only problem though: it's not a series Razz
Back to top Go down
will1234562
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
will1234562

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 3:11 am

You should check Haunting ground and Rule of Rose.
Haunting ground has a similar gameplay to Clock tower,but with an extremely cute dog(but if you don't train him well,progressing in the game becomes difficult).The story is good too(though some might disagree with me) and leaves some unanswered questions.
Note:This game is really,really creepy.
Now for Rule of Rose...I'm not gonna lie to you - the gameplay is awful.The story however is very interesting and very confusing...very confusing.There is a dog in RoR too,but less useful than in HG.
BTW doesn't American MCgee's Alice and Alice Madness Returns count for a physiological horror?(it does acding to the wiki)The "Alice" series aren't scary,but quite disturbing;with a good,twisted story;awesome gameplay(the second game)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horror game franchises   Horror game franchises Empty

Back to top Go down

Horror game franchises
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next