HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Resident Evil vs Silent Hill

Go down 
+24
Cyberization
Limey
Shrike
Wesker's Fanboy
Industrial Ridden
Valentine Fan
will1234562
S.Winters
chrisredfielmusculo
weskersbarber
Jill Sandwich
Dren
ChickenHeart
Spike991
00biohazard
charlieRE2
Sargent D
Methsia
RebelliousQueen
Jacen Dex
RaviorStygian
ace.redfield
Mass Distraction
xExcel
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Industrial Ridden
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Industrial Ridden

Playstation Network Jagerdu

Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 pm

You can't compare these games. They are both great games and unique in their own ways, but they are two different genres. Both share horror (not sure if you can consider RE horror anymore), but they are two different types of horror.

RE is just Survival Horror (Now it's action third person shooter, with a horror room every now ans then)

SH is Psychological horror. It's hard to choose which is better this way. I'm just going to choose which genre I like better. I prefer Silent Hill's genre better, but I feel Resident Evil games make happier.
Back to top Go down
Wesker's Fanboy
Cerberus
Cerberus
Wesker's Fanboy

Playstation Network Yonwyn

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Industrial Ridden wrote:
You can't compare these games. They are both great games and unique in their own ways, but they are two different genres. Both share horror (not sure if you can consider RE horror anymore), but they are two different types of horror.

RE is just Survival Horror (Now it's action third person shooter, with a horror room every now ans then)

SH is Psychological horror. It's hard to choose which is better this way. I'm just going to choose which genre I like better. I prefer Silent Hill's genre better, but I feel Resident Evil games make happier.

Silent Hill IS survival horror. You don't go to Silent Hill and just get your mind raped; you also have to survive the horrors there (the monsters, the traps, the town itself). While Silent Hill is more so psychological (it doesn't have as many jump scares as classic RE did; it left a creeping, lurking horror in the mind).

The reasons why I like Silent Hill better:

I like supernatural stuff better than science fiction; it's stayed true to it's roots in horror and has never deviated from it; its stories and characters are much more deep than your typical RE character (except for Wesker, but they thought he was 'boring' and so gave him the ax).

I still love RE to death, but it has just changed so much for the worse. If they would have developed their characters more and gave a much more meaningful storyline, I'd probably be much more conflicted over which I like better. RE is still in my top 5 favourite series of all time and I do like Wesker more than SH characters, surprisingly (though he does have to battle with Pyramid Head).

EDIT: I actually must say that they are about equal with Silent Hill just surpassing RE by a tiny bit (classic RE, that is). The thing is, though, that RE didn't ever get as horrific as SH did (except for Outbreak when I first played it). I love SH's backstory and characters so much too. It's so mysterious and dark, but that's not to say that classic RE's not good. Classic RE's stories and characters are gold and that's why I have trouble, sometimes, declaring a favourite even though I end up saying SH.

I must also inform you guys that, though RE popularized survival horror, the first true survival horror game ever was Alone in the Dark which was based off of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos (which is a series of literary holy works).

Last edited by Wesker's Fanboy on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Industrial Ridden
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Industrial Ridden

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
Industrial Ridden wrote:

Silent Hill IS survival horror. You don't go to Silent Hill and just get your mind raped; you also have to survive the horrors there (the monsters, the traps, the town itself). While Silent Hill is more so psychological (it doesn't have as many jump scares as classic RE did; it left a creeping, lurking horror in the mind).

I like supernatural stuff better than science fiction; it's stayed true to it's roots in horror and has never deviated from it; its stories and characters are much more deep than your typical RE character (except for Wesker, but they thought he was 'boring' and so gave him the ax).

I still love RE to death, but it has just changed so much for the worse. If they would have developed their characters more and gave a much more meaningful storyline, I'd probably be much more conflicted over which I like better. RE is still in my top 5 favourite series of all time and I do like Wesker more than SH characters, surprisingly (though he does have to battle with Pyramid Head).

It's nice to know that there's another person on these forums who also has Wesker as their favorite character. Thought I was alone for a good few months Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wesker's Fanboy
Cerberus
Cerberus
Wesker's Fanboy

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Industrial Ridden wrote:
Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
Industrial Ridden wrote:

It's nice to know that there's another person on these forums who also has Wesker as their favorite character. Thought I was alone for a good few months Very Happy

cheers

It's truly unfortunate that there aren't enough of us. It's also unfortunate that he was just scrapped which I often find myself becoming murderous over.
Back to top Go down
Industrial Ridden
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Industrial Ridden

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
Industrial Ridden wrote:
Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
Industrial Ridden wrote:

cheers

It's truly unfortunate that there aren't enough of us. It's also unfortunate that he was just scrapped which I often find myself becoming murderous over.

Yes. I felt that he didn't go out like a true villain should. Sure he was foolish for thinking he could take over the world, but he made up for it by being a complete badass with his movies fending off both Chris and Sheva. Oh and Why out of all people, did Sheva help Chris kill him? It should of been someone more major in the storyline such as....oh I don't know....VALENTINE! She was clearly there in the helicopter with Chris, why didn't SHE help him instead of that piece of sh.....I mean, Sheva. God that pissed me off, but I'm all over it now. Jake is offiicially my second favorite character.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:24 am

Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
I must also inform you guys that, though RE popularized survival horror, the first true survival horror game ever was Alone in the Dark which was based off of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos (which is a series of literary holy works).
Not only that but Resident Evil was originally based on a whole other survival horror game, Sweet Home.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Shrike
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:25 am

SH is, generally, a superior story, no discussing it. Can't even compare. SH2 and 4 are way out of the league of most horror books I have read when it comes to the story itself.

RE is, on the other hand, well, a better game. Gameplay in every SH pretty much sucks, whereas RE is awesome. RE has it's own ambient, which, while not really as bizarre as SH's, brings very unique atmosphere which is awesome. The zombie apocalypse thing is shining here like in the Walking Dead episode-like game, where you immerse yourself through those diaries and stuff.

Sadly, RE4 and onwards can't get any praise on the horror aspect for me, it's just a shooter (even though the village and somewhat the castle in RE4 were okay settings). They are good games, but they can't compare to SH in any way.
Back to top Go down
Limey
Zombie
Zombie

Playstation Network LimeyPolo
Steam : LimeyPolo

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 10:02 am

Atmospheric & Surreal & Creepy = Silent Hill.
Dark & Realistic & Scary = Resident Evil.

Silent Hill is more of a mindfuck of psychologically-generated monsters whilst Resident Evil borders on mad scientist-esque experimentation with corporate conspiracies.
Back to top Go down
Cyberization
Zombie
Zombie
Cyberization

Playstation Network MrOutside-

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Shrike wrote:
SH is, generally, a superior story, no discussing it. Can't even compare. SH2 and 4 are way out of the league of most horror books I have read when it comes to the story itself.

RE is, on the other hand, well, a better game. Gameplay in every SH pretty much sucks, whereas RE is awesome. RE has it's own ambient, which, while not really as bizarre as SH's, brings very unique atmosphere which is awesome. The zombie apocalypse thing is shining here like in the Walking Dead episode-like game, where you immerse yourself through those diaries and stuff.

That.

Limey wrote:

Silent Hill is more of a mindfuck of psychologically-generated monsters whilst Resident Evil borders on mad scientist-esque experimentation with corporate conspiracies.

And that.

SH manages to have a twisted, horrific, but also very mature storyline, and an interesting mythos behind it all, but the games themselves have always been quite clunky, and the puzzles are usually highly unintuitive. I sometimes struggle to go back through them, because while the stories themselves are head and shoulders above anything else in gaming, save perhaps Metal Gear Solid 2 and Deus Ex, they're just not very fun games to play. IMO. They lack the replayability factor that RE games have in spades.

Although having said that, the atmosphere created in old SH is the atmosphere that anyone developing a so-called horror game should strive to emulate. I still regard the first time I played Silent Hill 2 as my quintessential horror gaming experience.
Back to top Go down
SWITCHMYND
Hunter
Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm

i watched my dad play most of the silent hills like he's a huge fan and knows just about everything, and i still lean on the re side in just more into zombies.
Back to top Go down
Wesker's Fanboy
Cerberus
Cerberus
Wesker's Fanboy

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
Not only that but Resident Evil was originally based on a whole other survival horror game, Sweet Home.

Oh yes, I remember reading about that one too! I think they got the Licker idea from some character named Dr. Tongue, no? (something along those lines)
Back to top Go down
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Cyberization wrote:
Shrike wrote:

That.

Limey wrote:

And that.

SH manages to have a twisted, horrific, but also very mature storyline, and an interesting mythos behind it all, but the games themselves have always been quite clunky, and the puzzles are usually highly unintuitive. I sometimes struggle to go back through them, because while the stories themselves are head and shoulders above anything else in gaming, save perhaps Metal Gear Solid 2 and Deus Ex, they're just not very fun games to play. IMO. They lack the replayability factor that RE games have in spades.

Although having said that, the atmosphere created in old SH is the atmosphere that anyone developing a so-called horror game should strive to emulate. I still regard the first time I played Silent Hill 2 as my quintessential horror gaming experience.

Agree with that very much, SH was alway a brilliant but one time game, after getting through each part of it i never had a feeling "lets do this again", when second after beating any RE games i started playing em over over and over and its not only cs i am a fan of that game, there are a lot of games i like to play all the time when not being a fan of em, say 4 ex Tomb Raider games (not the latest one, cs i think that that game sucks ass) i like to play them over and over.

As 4 which one is better RE or SH, thats very much the matter of taste, I never was a fan of paranormal activities that SH stood for, im always for realism, so the atmosphere in RE is much much closer to me, I mean a Spooky city with ghosts in it kinda lame, when on the other hand zombie Apocalypse man, havent you ever dreamed of being in the middle of it with a huge baseball bat smashing heads off of the undeads Rolling Eyes . . .

Back to top Go down
Ragehatgamers
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
Ragehatgamers

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi New here!

But what i would like to say and i see every one is saying the same. But both type of games are good in there own way so it is really hard to compare these two because they have such a different play style. Resident evil is more action with zombies trying to bite your ass of. Where silent hill is more of trying to get in your brain and twist it around kinda way. With weird puzzles and big faces on the walls.

Sometimes you want to go and flash that little flashlight in a dark room and have a iron pipe in your other hand, and sometimes you want to take your big rocket launcher and shot the big guy in the face.

But if i really need to choose i would go for silent hill because if you are sitting in a pitch black room with nothing but the tv screens light on you. You will probably scare your self more then the game. Also have a open door at your back. You will turn your head around more then looking at the screen. which is what silent hill is good at. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 am

Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
Wesker's Fanboy wrote:

Oh yes, I remember reading about that one too! I think they got the Licker idea from some character named Dr. Tongue, no? (something along those lines)
Eh... Not quite. Dr. Tongue is from Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I'm referring to this: [link]
Back to top Go down
Limey
Zombie
Zombie

Playstation Network LimeyPolo
Steam : LimeyPolo

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 5:26 am

I think, IMO, two other genre-defining survival horrors need to be included: Fatal Frame & definitely Clock Tower. Look at this way:

Fatal Film - Paranormal horror, it brought Japanese folklore, like Yūre, into the survival horror mix.
Clock Tower - Pure horror, the helpless pursuit as seen in many classic slasher films.
Silent Hill - Kafkaesque horror, completely distorting conceptions and reality-twisting events.
Resident Evil - Science horror, explained in reality but feared as one's role is a victim who's resilient whilst ineffective.

The subsequent horrors were modeled after these with an interesting amalgamation, but mostly Clock Tower/Fatal Frame as the combat mechanisms of RE are obsolete. Silent Hill isn't done as much for being so difficult to execute - it's literary genius.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 am

Limey wrote:
I think, IMO, two other genre-defining survival horrors need to be included: Fatal Frame & definitely Clock Tower. Look at this way:

Fatal Film - Paranormal horror, it brought Japanese folklore, like Yūre, into the survival horror mix.
Clock Tower - Pure horror, the helpless pursuit as seen in many classic slasher films.
Silent Hill - Kafkaesque horror, completely distorting conceptions and reality-twisting events.
Resident Evil - Science horror, explained in reality but feared as one's role is a victim who's resilient whilst ineffective.

The subsequent horrors were modeled after these with an interesting amalgamation, but mostly Clock Tower/Fatal Frame as the combat mechanisms of RE are obsolete. Silent Hill isn't done as much for being so difficult to execute - it's literary genius.
Why not Alone in the Dark too? That one precedes all of these. So does Call of Cthulhu. It doesn't really matter, it's just somethign the OP wanted an opinion on. Then again, what you just said IS an opinion. STOP CONFUSING ME!

IKD, I guess RE and SH are just so similar and they were once thought of as rivals, unlike CT or FF.

We do have a Fatal Frame thread and a Clock Tower Let's Play thread if you're interested in reading those. At least the FF thread is seriously lacking in comments after I had to restart it when the original one disappeared.
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 2:34 am

I don't care much for either franchise anymore. I still say the best Silent Hill games were the first 3 to 4. Just cos modern consoles are graphically superior, that doesn't make 'em superior games overall. In fact, I found the stories, characters and scare factor to be greater in the earlier horror games from the PS1, Dreamcast and GameCube era. Since RE4 was released in 2005, a lot of games (not all) have had a lesser chance of scaring or entertaining me, due to the shooting galleries they've become and then there are those annoying button mash scenes. Whatever the right name for them is. Quick time events, or something. You die more often that way, than having a zombie eat your health away. It's a tad bit unfair when you survive the horror, but die from falling off a bloody rope.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 2:51 am

White Rock wrote:
Since RE4 was released in 2005, a lot of games (not all) have had a lesser chance of scaring or entertaining me
It could be because when we grow up things have a lesser chance to scare us and we learn to have higher standards. I know for a fact that a game like Revelations would have scared me shitless when I was a kid, back when games like RE2 actually did scare me.
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 3:51 am

Yeah. That's what I meant. SH 1 to 4 and RE 1 to 0 were all ace horror games, that you really got engaged into. After that, they've been a bit...all over the place. In my opinion, RE6 felt more like an homage than a sequel, being that all these incidents were happening at the exact same times and you could see all the clear references to past games. One being the rookie cop and girl who unlike Leon and Claire, don't survive.
Back to top Go down
Methsia
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
Methsia

Steam : Mez

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm

It feels wrong to compare them. They both have their own way as a horror game.
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 am

People just compare them all the time, due to the fact they're at the top of the survival horror universe. You're right, though. There is no real similarities about them.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 am

White Rock wrote:
People just compare them all the time, due to the fact they're at the top of the survival horror universe.
I guess we should talk about that in a past sense now. Sure, Silent Hill is still one of the top names in the survival horror genre but RE can hardly be called horror nowadays. The only reason they are still being compared is their roots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil vs Silent Hill   Resident Evil vs Silent Hill - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Resident Evil vs Silent Hill
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4