Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) Empty
PostSubject: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 11:15 pm

I've been a fan of the RE series ever since I saw a preview of the original PS1 game in GamePro magazine back in '96, and I'm really excited about the fact that Capcom is (finally) remaking RE2.

With that said though, I don't think that there has been a great RE game since RE4, and I feel like the series has unfortunately departed quite a bit from the glory of its original RE1-RE3 survival-horror games.

We don't currently know what direction Capcom is going with the RE2 remake or future RE games, but I've been thinking about all the cool things I'd love to see in the RE2 remake and future RE games, and I'd like to share them here with you all (and hopefully Capcom as well). I'd also love to hear from you all what direction you'd like the RE series go.

First and foremost, I think Capcom should focus on making awesome remakes of RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV and RE0 as opposed to a new game like RE7. The emphasis on survival-horror games (as opposed to more action-oriented games) was at the core of the original games and it's where Capcom needs to return to. Also, the fact that there have been so many (awesome) fan remakes of the original games shows that that is where a lot of the fans' hearts are too. Furthermore, the fact that the HD Remaster of the RE1 Remake did so well on Steam, especially compared to sales of RE6, sends another (hopefully) clear signal to Capcom that that is where fans want Capcom to focus their time and efforts. I personally am more than happy to show my support for the classic RE games by spending money on anything their willing to make related to the old RE games. I loved the HD Remaster on Steam and I've already preordered RE0 on Steam as well and can't wait to play that.

With all that said though, I don't think that everything Capcom did in the original RE games was perfect. There were definitely some annoyances that could easily be fixed if they're willing to do so.

Specifically, here are all the things I'd love to see added to the RE2 remake and all future remakes:

1. The biggest improvement RE4 brought to the series was the over-the-shoulder camera with fully 3D environments. I really, really hope that they do this for all future remakes. The biggest frustration with the old RE games was the fixed camera and being to hear a zombie but not knowing exactly where it was until it starts gnawing on your shoulder right when you ran far enough to change the camera angle. With that said though, I don't, however, feel like they have to provide an aiming reticle like they did in RE4. Just being able to aim straight ahead, down at a zombie's feet or up at a zombie's head is enough. If you have an aiming reticle and can easily head shot a zombie every time, I think it makes the game too easy and removes some of the original spirit of the game. Also, with fully 3D environments, I think you gain a lot more interactivity. For example, I loved in RE2 when the Tyrant busted through the wall in the police station after you took him out once in the previous room. The only problem was that because all the environments were pre-rendered in the original RE2, you knew he was always going to bust out at the exact same spot every time. I think fully 3D environments with realistic physics will increase the possibilities for cool things like that (i.e., more randomness of enemies jumping out at you from other rooms, etc.).
  2. Don't do the door opening animation / loading screen for every...single...room! This was another awesome thing that RE4 did. There were big, open areas to run around in, and you could open doors into many different rooms without having to waiting for the door-opening loading animation to play every time. I really hope that they either get rid of the loading animation per room or make it an optional setting that can be turned off, as I think it really hurts the pacing of the game and is no longer required with the modern-day hardware we have available. Furthermore, not having to load between each and every room could make it possible for enemies to more fluidly move around from room to room, which would be a cool new twist. As an example, some of the directions Capcom went in with the RE1 mansion in RE5: Untold Stories were pretty cool.
  3. Quick cycling of weapons and items. I think it would be awesome if I could use a single button to easily cycle through all the weapons I have in my inventory. Again, I think this would greatly increase the pacing of the game and keep the adrenaline rush you get from the survival-horror aspect of the game consistently going. Similarly, I think it would be cool if you could quick cycle through the items in your inventory that you want to use to either perform an action or heal yourself, etc. In other words, I think the more you can avoid going to the inventory screen, the better the pacing of the game. Also, I think it makes sense for Capcom to make the quick cycling of weapons/items a setting that you can toggle. In other words, if you prefer the traditional inventory screen, then you can do that, but if you want to be able to quick-cycle weapons/items, then you can turn the setting on. Lastly, I think it would be really cool if when you cycle / set yourself to "unarmed", you could actually punch/kick/throw zombies. Granted, it wouldn't do much damage, but it could be like a last-ditch effort that's even weaker and shorter range than the knife.
  4. Somewhat related to the above suggestion, it would be nice if there were different ways to pick up items. Specifically, I can imagine three options: 1) The traditional method where every time you pick something up, it goes to the inventory screen and asks you if you want to take the item or not, or 2) an option where instead of going to the inventory screen, you are instantly prompted on the screen about whether or not you want to pick up the item, or 3) an option where you just automatically pick up anything you click on unless your inventory is full, at which time, a message flashes up on the screen without actually stopping the action letting you know that. Maybe there are other possibilities, but those are the three I could think of and I think being able to set which of the three you want would be really cool.
  5. In my mind, RE games are some of the most fun to do speedruns of. To that end, having a speedrun mode would be really cool. Speedrun mode could either be just a collection of settings (e.g., the quick cycling of weapons and the quick pickup of items mentioned above, etc.) or it could be a dedicated mode. In addition to the stuff mentioned above, I think what would create an awesome speedrun mode are settings for turning off all cutscenes before the game starts and the ability to add a timer in the corner. I think by doing all these things, you level the playing field for speedruns as well as make it more official and baked into the game from the start. You could also add speedrun leaderboards and maybe even a way to record speedruns in-game (although that last point might be a bit too extreme). Regardless of whether there was a separate option for speedruns though, it would be nice to be able to turn off cutscenes from the start and have an official game timer to time your progress.
  6. Tons of DLC. I actually really like the direction that Capcom is going with the Street Fighter V DLC, and I think a similar approach would work well for the RE series. In essense, if you build an awesome base game, why not continue to continually add to it and refine it over time? (That's the Blizzard approach to Diablo and StarCraft, right, and it works great.) Furthermore, I think it would be awesome if Capcom basically built an RE remake platform that contained the RE0-3 and RE:CV remakes. In other words, kind of like Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES, you start the game, and from there, you choose which RE remake you want to play and all the different options you want to have for the game. I think doing something like that would greatly increase the replayability of all the games. For example, in additional to all of the extra options noted above, if you had a huge range of DLC costumes and new weapons to choose from and start the game with, I think it would really make things lots of fun. Also, if all the remakes were together in one package, they could start out with releasing just the RE2 remake to start with, and slowly bring out DLC for that as well as work on the remake for RE3, which could then be added to the game as a larger, $20-$30 DLC download. Also, it would be awesome to be able to have things like the machine gun and gatling gun already in RE2 available in RE1 as well, etc. It would just be fun (and that's the whole point of the game, right?!). Also, they could add extra story modes like maybe a Barry or Wesker story mode in RE1, or an Ada story mode in RE2. That would be awesome! Again, these could all be add-on DLC features that come after the base game is released. Personally, I'm more than happy to pay extra money for that kind of extensibility and flexibility. Maybe it's just me, but if I ended up having to pay $200-$300 over a few-year time period to get all the RE remakes done right with all the DLC, then I'm more than happy to do so. Also, more DLC minigames like Mercenaries in RE3 and Hunk/Tofu in RE2 would be totally awesome! Lastly, if all the RE remakes were together in one game/platform, they could maybe create some sort of superstory mode in which you could play through all the games together in sequence.
  7. Practice mode. It would be really cool if you could practice fighting against all the different bosses with various weapon/ammo configurations. Again, if Capcom is willing to put more emphasis on replayability and speedruns, this would be an essential mode. Taking it a step further, it would be cool if you could select any room in the game with any number of weapon/item configurations and any number of enemy configurations to practice in over and over again.
  8. New areas/weapons/enemies. I have to believe that Capcom has entire filing cabinets full of room/weapon/enemy ideas that never made it into any of the RE games. Capcom, bust some of those ideas out and add new rooms to all of the RE remakes. I loved the new additional to the RE remake, and I hope they do the same for the RE2 remake, etc.
  9. Various movement modes. For those that love the traditional "tank" movement mode, it should be a selectable option, but with that said, the way you moved in RE4 was way better. Furthermore, the "Alternate" movement option in the HD Remaster of RE greatly improved the playability of the game. Granted, it felt a bit weird with the lack of an over-the-shoulder camera angle, but still, it made the game infinity more fun than trying to move around / fight zombies as a "tank". Basically, I hope that all future remakes have at least "tank" mode and a second, more flexible (and logical) movement option.
  10. New zombie configurations. It would be cool if there were harder modes in which you could add more zombies per room (a la Tofu in RE2).
  11. Faster pushing/climbing of objects. This seems like a minor gripe, but I think the pushing and climbing mechanics/animations in the remakes should be redone to make them faster, smoother and just more logical-looking. The way you pushed/climbed boxes in the original REs was super annoying (especially as Sherry in RE2; ugghh!).

This may seem like a super long and picky wish list to Capcom, but 1) I imagine there are some pretty cool ideas you all have that I missed, and 2) I don't honestly think that a lot of them would be that hard for Capcom to implement for all future remakes if they're not already planning on adding some/all of them to the games.

More than anything though, I really want remakes of RE0-3 and RE:CV done right with greater flexibility, which can easily be done via a bunch of in-game options. For example, if you want to play the RE remakes in a more traditional way, then great, do it, but for that that would prefer more streamlined controls and mechanics (me, me, me!), then that should be an option as well.

Also, I don't know how all RE fans feel (please share your opinions), but I personally am more than willing to pay top dollar for RE remakes done right, even if they take longer to make and Capcom spams us on the DLC. I hope that Capcom realizes this and is willing to make high-quality remakes of RE0-3 and RE:CV. Also, I hope that any and all new features they add to the remakes are available across all the remakes so that we have consistent, super high-quality game controls and mechanics established across all the remakes.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 pm

Welcome to the forums! Sorry if I sound nitpicky in this post but I kinda have to. RE's my jam, yo.

HartleySan wrote:
First and foremost, I think Capcom should focus on making awesome remakes of RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV and RE0 as opposed to a new game like RE7.

RE1 was remade already and it's even available in HD, Zero also looks rather good in HD. I personally don't think CV needs a remake either since it's HD port is pretty damn good looking as well. There's no need to fix what ain't broken. Of course I'd like to see the RE2 remake finished and in time, RE3, but I would also love to see the series continue in a new title. So a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B.

What needs to be brought to today's consoles, however, are some of the forgotten gems of the series. Outbreak Files 1 and 2 in HD and with online capabilities. Maybe then we'd actually finally get File#3. Then, remaster the story of the Survivor series into a Chronicles game. From gameplay standpoint the idea wouldn't change that much since they are light gun shooters to begin with and from a story standpoint, they are officially canon. A lot of people just don't know this. This is why it would fit the Chronicles format perfectly.

HartleySan wrote:
Furthermore, the fact that the HD Remaster of the RE1 Remake did so well on Steam, especially compared to sales of RE6

In comparison RE6 did waaaaaaaay better than the HD remaster of Remake. RE6 has sold 6.1 million in total, while REHD has only sold 1 million. It's a lot for a downloadable title, yes, but nowhere comparable. RE6 may have not met its sales expectations but it did quite well for itself. I don't think the remake's sales in total even come close to RE6's sales. If you add the sales of the original game too then it would probably be just about the same.

HartleySan wrote:
The biggest improvement RE4 brought to the series was the over-the-shoulder camera with fully 3D environments. I really, really hope that they do this for all future remakes.

I personally hope they don't. RE2 will not be the same if it's not made in the style of the first remake. Over the shoulder should be left for newer titles.

HartleySan wrote:
As an example, some of the directions Capcom went in with the RE1 mansion in RE5: Untold Stories were pretty cool.

I honestly had to look that up Very Happy I'm not a PC gamer so I never knew the Steam bundle was called this. It wasn't the RE1 mansion though but eh, close enough.

HartleySan wrote:
In my mind, RE games are some of the most fun to do speedruns of. To that end, having a speedrun mode would be really cool. Speedrun mode could either be just a collection of settings (e.g., the quick cycling of weapons and the quick pickup of items mentioned above, etc.) or it could be a dedicated mode. In addition to the stuff mentioned above, I think what would create an awesome speedrun mode are settings for turning off all cutscenes before the game starts and the ability to add a timer in the corner. I think by doing all these things, you level the playing field for speedruns as well as make it more official and baked into the game from the start. You could also add speedrun leaderboards and maybe even a way to record speedruns in-game (although that last point might be a bit too extreme). Regardless of whether there was a separate option for speedruns though, it would be nice to be able to turn off cutscenes from the start and have an official game timer to time your progress.

Yep, this is an idea I can completely stand behind. Two thumbs up.

HartleySan wrote:
Tons of DLC. I actually really like the direction that Capcom is going with the Street Fighter V DLC, and I think a similar approach would work well for the RE series. In essense, if you build an awesome base game, why not continue to continually add to it and refine it over time? (That's the Blizzard approach to Diablo and StarCraft, right, and it works great.) Furthermore, I think it would be awesome if Capcom basically built an RE remake platform that contained the RE0-3 and RE:CV remakes. In other words, kind of like Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES, you start the game, and from there, you choose which RE remake you want to play and all the different options you want to have for the game. I think doing something like that would greatly increase the replayability of all the games. For example, in additional to all of the extra options noted above, if you had a huge range of DLC costumes and new weapons to choose from and start the game with, I think it would really make things lots of fun. Also, if all the remakes were together in one package, they could start out with releasing just the RE2 remake to start with, and slowly bring out DLC for that as well as work on the remake for RE3, which could then be added to the game as a larger, $20-$30 DLC download. Also, it would be awesome to be able to have things like the machine gun and gatling gun already in RE2 available in RE1 as well, etc. It would just be fun (and that's the whole point of the game, right?!). Also, they could add extra story modes like maybe a Barry or Wesker story mode in RE1, or an Ada story mode in RE2. That would be awesome! Again, these could all be add-on DLC features that come after the base game is released. Personally, I'm more than happy to pay extra money for that kind of extensibility and flexibility. Maybe it's just me, but if I ended up having to pay $200-$300 over a few-year time period to get all the RE remakes done right with all the DLC, then I'm more than happy to do so. Also, more DLC minigames like Mercenaries in RE3 and Hunk/Tofu in RE2 would be totally awesome! Lastly, if all the RE remakes were together in one game/platform, they could maybe create some sort of superstory mode in which you could play through all the games together in sequence.

I'm not against DLC, at all, as long as it's not over priced like Mortal Kombat or MvC3's DLC. 5 dollars per character is waaaay too much, when in most other games they cost like 2 or something. Anyway, I think a complete set of remakes, and with that idea, they would essentially have to be built from the ground up (again). It would be way more expensive than it would be worth and I'm sure Capcom would lose more money than gain through it. As an idea, nice, as a realistic thing... ain't gonna happen. Ever. I do hope RE2 does get some extra content though, it has to even. It's realistically a pretty short game and two to four hours of story mode gameplay doesn't say "full priced game". Ada's story would be nice, in addition to a revamped 4th Survivor. Of course Tofu mode also has to be there. None of this should be DLC though because people would call bullshit. Leave stuff like costumes and extra modes for that.

Oh, and that super story you mention? It already exists. Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, also bundled as the Resident Evil Chronicles HD Collection. I would reeeeeeally love to see a new Chronicles game though. Just uh... fix everything that was pooped in DSC.

HartleySan wrote:
New areas/weapons/enemies. I have to believe that Capcom has entire filing cabinets full of room/weapon/enemy ideas that never made it into any of the RE games. Capcom, bust some of those ideas out and add new rooms to all of the RE remakes. I loved the new additional to the RE remake, and I hope they do the same for the RE2 remake, etc.

I'm 100% sure this will be a thing. They added soooo much new stuff to the first remake it would be a crime to leave stuff out from this one. Especially when, like I already mentioned, RE2 is a rather short game. They need to expand it. And no, two versions of the same storyline isn't going to work anymore since there already is an established timeline, unlike back then.

All in all, I am too afraid to come up with any ideas myself. I will just wait and see and hope they don't botch it up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Ssplain
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
Ssplain

Playstation Network ResidentJsee
Steam : Resident Jsee

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Welcome to the forums, always happy to see new people giving their input.

I will respond to your ideas by the numbers they were posted and give my opinion.

1. I have no problem with over-the-shoulder and it works great in most games. I don't think it belongs in the remakes because the fixed camera angles is a staple of these older titles. Keep it in the new titles though.

2. To me, the loading screen doors are just fine. I think they give each room a greater sense of mystery, hearing the heartbeat as you slowly go through the door. This never stopped Nemesis from following you through doors.

3. A real time cycling of weapons would be a nice option to have. This would not majorly effect game play and I actually feel like if this was an option, most people would default to it.

4. I am on board with this idea. If your inventory is full and you run into an herb/ammo. You should be able to use it without having to put it in your inventory. Or better yet, follow in re0's footsteps and just allow players to place items in their inventory on the ground and have it marked on the map.

5. Leader boards for speed runs are a great idea. It would be great for the community if they added this feature to Residentevil.net where players could compete for prizes. They could even have monthly events for completing certain difficulties within certain time limits for exclusive outfits (like the Mercenaries and Raid mode events they currently have).

6. I don't see where DLC would really fit into the remakes. I think it should all be unlockable through accomplishing different feats in game.

7. A practice type mode would be fun. There was a mode in Outbreak (the name of this mode slips my mind) that allowed you to fight waves of boss battles. That would be a fun bonus mode to include. Each boss you beat would be unlocked for the bonus mode.

8. Yes/yes/yes. I really hope they throw something new at us with each remake. The Crimson Heads and the whole Lisa Trevor segment were some of the best moments of REmake. We most definitely need more of that going forward. (I actually wonder if we will see Crimson Heads in RE2. Wouldn't that be terrifying!?)

9. Refer to 1. for my opinion on OTS. I think REmastered did it right with the two optional control methods.

10. That would be a lot of fun for a 2nd run through.

11. I think they should work to make everything look more fluid. None of it particularly bothered me though.

Really great input. It got me thinking about some ideas I had not considered for the remakes. Excited to see where they go.
Back to top Go down
http://steam://openurl/https://www.youtube.com/user/jchandleyou
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

Ssplain wrote:
2. To me, the loading screen doors are just fine. I think they give each room a greater sense of mystery, hearing the heartbeat as you slowly go through the door. This never stopped Nemesis from following you through doors.

Yes, I am pro doors too but I do get his point. I wouldn't be at all against an option to turn the door animations off or just the ability to skip them like in the PC versions of RE1-3. They were there to mask loading times which is something that can be dodged with today's technology.

Ssplain wrote:
4. I am on board with this idea. If your inventory is full and you run into an herb/ammo. You should be able to use it without having to put it in your inventory. Or better yet, follow in re0's footsteps and just allow players to place items in their inventory on the ground and have it marked on the map.

This! So much this! So many times I have been forced to walk back to the item box just because I have a health item that I don't need to use occupying a spot that I need to fill with a key item. Leaving items on the ground mixed with item boxes would be the best option imo.

Ssplain wrote:
I actually wonder if we will see Crimson Heads in RE2. Wouldn't that be terrifying!?

Good point. There were Crimson Heads in ORC which suggests they were at least somewhere around the town.
Back to top Go down
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 7:53 pm

Mass Distraction and Ssplain, thanks a lot for the replies. I can tell that you guys are both very passionate about RE (probably more so than me), and your replies gave me a lot to think about.

First and foremost, I'd like to advocate that I want to see the freedom for each player to be able to choose the gaming style they prefer as much as possible in the RE2 remake. While I personally would prefer an over-the-shoulder style camera, if Capcom were to do all of the environments in 3D, then they could easily make it so that you could toggle between the over-the-shoulder camera angle and the fixed-camera angle. That way, we could all pick the method we prefer.

I actually don't mind the fixed-camera angle a ton, but my biggest complaints about it are that it 1) greatly affects my ability to move my character with the control I desire, and 2) it makes it much harder to aim. Specifically with point 1, I like the HD remake on Steam a lot, but I still don't like the tank controls, but if you switch to the alternate movement scheme, then it gets kind of weird and hard to do things like run in a straight line sometimes, etc. In other words, I see the only way to get the control I want is to have an over-the-shoulder camera with a non-tank movement scheme.

That's not to say that Capcom should do that exclusively. I think that they should provide an option, as the amount of extra work it would be for them to provide both would be minimal (assuming they go with fully 3D environments).

Also, Mass Distraction, I can't comment on things like Outbreak Files, the Chronicles games, etc. I've seen them all before, but never really played them. And while I somewhat agree with the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, I do think that if Capcom makes the RE2 remake super rockin', then everyone is going to want to see all the other older RE games remade in the same light, including RE1 and RE0 (I know I would and I would gladly pay for them again too!).

Also, thanks for correcting me on the sales figures for RE6. I didn't realize that the game did that well. Still, the reviews for RE6 were lukewarm at best, and I know that the HD Remaster sales figures surpassed all expectations, and is likely why they're actually going through with the RE0 HD Remaster to begin with.

Also, yes, I do understand the frustration with companies overcharging for DLC, but at the same time, I'm the type of gamer that likes to heavily invest in a few great titles as opposed to spreading myself thin over a bunch of games. As such, when something is done right and to my liking, I personally have no opposition to supporting the company by giving them (too much) money for all the DLC that comes out, etc. At that point, I think of the money I'm spending more as charity to the company and a show of my support than anything (even if I really do want the DLC).

Also, Ssplain, getting more to your specific comments, I like the idea of the community-generated challenges a la residentevil.net. Great idea!

As for the DLC comment, obviously, I would rather get all the content for free, but we know that that will never be the case, and with that said, if the remake(s) turn out to be great, I don't mind Capcom building onto them with additional content that we have to pay for down the line.

As for the loading-screen doors, I can certainly understand purists wanting to keep them, but like anything else, if they make it a toggleable option, I don't think that anyone would complain.

I think anytime you try to remake a classic (e.g., RE2, FFVII), as the developer, you're going to make some people mad with virtually every decision you make. While that is an inevitable part of life when people are so passionate about something, I think that with all (or at least most) of my ideas, the extra time it would take Capcom to add all the features as extras that can be toggled on and off would go a long way with making as many people happy as possible. That's all I really want.

Of course, I want things a certain way because that's the way I like it, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same way as me, and I don't want them to all hate a game just so I can like it.

As a final note, I'm actually a programmer and system engineer by trade, and I encounter the same type of problem on a daily basis in my office. There are almost always two sides to everything (and lots of people on both sides), and quite often (assuming it doesn't add too much time and effort) I provide a toggleable switch so that both options are possible and everyone in the office can choose to do things the way they want to do it. I may personally look at certain people's workflows as inefficient (and at times downright silly), but if they work best a certain way, then who am I to tell them (through restrictions I can put in my code) that they aren't allowed to do it the way that works best for them.

I hope the dev team at Capcom takes the same approach with my suggestions above and any other suggestions/ideas that fans have, and builds a truly awesome and flexible game that allows everyone that loves RE to get exactly what they want.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 2:54 am

HartleySan wrote:
First and foremost, I'd like to advocate that I want to see the freedom for each player to be able to choose the gaming style they prefer as much as possible in the RE2 remake. While I personally would prefer an over-the-shoulder style camera, if Capcom were to do all of the environments in 3D, then they could easily make it so that you could toggle between the over-the-shoulder camera angle and the fixed-camera angle. That way, we could all pick the method we prefer.

I kinda brushed that off in my post but I just have to mention that I am not at all against options. Since they most likely won't pre-render things anymore in this day and age, it would be more than plausible for them to let us choose between over the shoulder and fixed camera. Code Veronica was mostly rendered in 3D and even though I doubt they used the same assets in Survivor 2, that game proved the same environments also work from a FPS standpoint. If only the controls weren't so terrible... Also, they have had a few (albeit dodgy) occasions in recent games where the game used fixed camera, like in RE6. Lost in Nightmares in RE5 even had that easter egg that let you play through it with fixed camera. Worth pointing out though is that the mod for RE4 on PC that replaces OTS with fixed cameras works terribly, since the game wasn't meant for that kind of gameplay. What I'm saying is that they'd really have to think long and hard if they were to implement both options.

HartleySan wrote:
And while I somewhat agree with the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, I do think that if Capcom makes the RE2 remake super rockin', then everyone is going to want to see all the other older RE games remade in the same light, including RE1 and RE0 (I know I would and I would gladly pay for them again too!).

Remakes of remakes are almost nonexistent in the gaming industry and there's a reason for that. They cost money. A lot of money. And every time you remake something people love it's a huge chance you, as a company, have to make. Capcom isn't doing all that well financially to begin with so I see them as one of the last companies to ever even think of remaking a remake already loved virtually by everyone. Then there's the issue with the series' timeline and not fucking it up. REmake and Zero were made to fix the early timeline and present it in better graphics and new content. RE is not just a bunch of games where you kill zombies, it's an ongoing story with a surprisingly deep lore that goes way beyond the games. Also a project like that would take a lot of time, which would take away from their other projects and seeing as how the company is now, they keep wanting to move forward, which is understandable. It's a miracle we got RE2 remake in the first place.

Another point is that remakes are made to stand the test of time. If companies remade their games every time console generations changed, along with people's gameplay and graphics preferences, we would be seeing a lot more remakes than there are on today's market. Oversaturation, even. For example, the Pokemon company remade Red and Green for the GBA but even though their later remakes have far surpassed those in content and gameplay, they haven't re-remade them. They did release the original GB versions in the eShop though. Same goes for Square, they have remade a lot of their older games but despite almost every iteration of the franchise having fans all around, they haven't remade FF or FF2 since the GBA version or FF3 and FF4 since the DS version. Companies only, begrudginly, remake popular requests (like FFVII and RE2) when there's a huge demand for them. There's almost literally no demand for "remakes" of REHD and Zero, thus no market potential.

HartleySan wrote:
I think anytime you try to remake a classic (e.g., RE2, FFVII), as the developer, you're going to make some people mad with virtually every decision you make. While that is an inevitable part of life when people are so passionate about something, I think that with all (or at least most) of my ideas, the extra time it would take Capcom to add all the features as extras that can be toggled on and off would go a long way with making as many people happy as possible. That's all I really want.

Back in the late days of their glory days Capcom did manage to avoid almost any kind of hate. They remade a classic and the remake was loved by pretty much every single person who ever dared call themselves a fan of the series. However, most of the team that worked on that remake don't work at Capcom anymore. Furthermore, the pressure of trying to outdo themselves is ridiculous, I'd assume. The reason they keep asking fans what they want is that they really don't want to fuck this up. Having things like the 4th Survivor and Tofu mode as DLC, for example, would hurt them more than they can afford.

Btw. This is some good discussion going on here. Been a while since I've actually had to think deeper about the games. Thanks for that.

Oh, and if you really want to see that "super story" you were talking about, I wholly recommend checking out the Chronicles series of games. They are available for Wii (and through that, Wii U) and PS3 and span the story of the main series from 0 to 3, including Code: Veronica. They also both have some extra story never before seen in any of the other games.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 1:23 pm

HartleySan wrote:

[*]The biggest improvement RE4 brought to the series was the over-the-shoulder camera with fully 3D environments. I really, really hope that they do this for all future remakes
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

No shooter camera, no co-op, no multi-player, none of that bullshit. REmake didn't have them, didn't need them, and is all the better for not having them.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 2:02 pm

GL, you have plans of getting REmake 2?
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
GL, you have plans of getting REmake 2?
Tentatively, yes. That might change down the road when more details come out, though. For example, it having the shooter camera instead of traditional fixed angles would be a major deal breaker, hence my response above.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Yep, that's what I figured. Hopefully they manage to deliver.
Back to top Go down
Ssplain
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
Ssplain

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 4:32 pm

I wouldn't imagine they would actually implement OTS into REmake 2. I mean, if the fans have been asking for it the past 13 years and they do something that could butcher it they would likely lose a huge following. I don't think they would take a gamble that large at this point, however I could be completely wrong.

They have been heavily testing the waters lately. We have REmake 2 and Umbrella Corps coming soon. It is basically horror vs action. Whichever performs better will be a good indication of what to expect from Capcom in the future.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Ssplain wrote:
They have been heavily testing the waters lately. We have REmake 2 and Umbrella Corps coming soon. It is basically horror vs action. Whichever performs better will be a good indication of what to expect from Capcom in the future.

At least when looking at the early reactions by fans towards these two games, REmake 2 has this in the bag.
Back to top Go down
Ssplain
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
Ssplain

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
Ssplain wrote:

At least when looking at the early reactions by fans towards these two games, REmake 2 has this in the bag.

It certainly appears too. I really don't see how Umbrella Corps would match up in sale volume. Capcom clearly expects something though.
Back to top Go down
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Ghost Leader, thanks for your input. As I've said previously (and sorry, my posts are long), I personally prefer OTS, but I'm looking for the choice more than anything. Assuming fully 3D environments, Capcom could easily implement both and allow the player to choose / toggle the option on the fly.

I do like the fixed-camera angles to some degree, but there are frustrations too, which is why I prefer OTS. With that said though, I'm not implying I want an "action" remake. I want the remake to be in the classic survival-horror style of the original entries in the series. Having the option to switch to an OTS camera does not change the style of the game, just the camera angle.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

One last thing I will say is that I remember when USFIV was coming out and people finally realized that we weren't getting Alex in that game, there was talk of Capcom starting a crowd-sourcing effort to collection enough money for them to justify the development time needed to add him to the game. It never actually happened, but Capcom does seem to consider options like that at times. They could always consider something like that for another round of RE0 and RE1 remakes. Just throwing that out there.

As another quick note, I posted this same topic on three other RE forums. On two of them, I didn't get much feedback at all, but on the Capcom Unity forum, I have gotten quite a bit of feedback. Feel free to check it at all the following URL:
(link deleted by admin)

Sorry, but I had to format the URL like that since I'm a new member. If an admin or someone would like to edit my post and set the real URL, that would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ghost Leader on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Merged posts)
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Please avoid double posting in the future. Also, the site owner doesn't like members linking to other RE-related forums. Personally, I don't care and think it's a stupid rule that should be abolished, but we have to enforce it regardless.

HartleySan wrote:
Ghost Leader, thanks for your input. As I've said previously (and sorry, my posts are long), I personally prefer OTS, but I'm looking for the choice more than anything. Assuming fully 3D environments, Capcom could easily implement both and allow the player to choose / toggle the option on the fly.

I do like the fixed-camera angles to some degree, but there are frustrations too, which is why I prefer OTS. With that said though, I'm not implying I want an "action" remake. I want the remake to be in the classic survival-horror style of the original entries in the series. Having the option to switch to an OTS camera does not change the style of the game, just the camera angle.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
The issue with the OTS camera is that it encourages the player into combat. The fixed camera angles and their "frustrations" were all part of the horror atmosphere. OTS would completely ruin this.
Back to top Go down
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 6:05 am

If you removed the aiming reticle, which I recommended above, then there is actually no tactical advantage to using OTS compared to the fixed camera. In fact, I could imagine as a player switching between the two on the fly in order to carefully navigate certain situations.

Also, I see what you're saying by the fixed camera adding to the horror element, but really, to me, it just adds to my frustration in the sense that you can hear a zombie but you can't actually see it, and then you end up just waiting for it to show up on the screen or you chance it and guess (usually to your character's detriment). In theory, it adds to the horror, but in reality, it just annoys me.

Anyway, like I said before, I do like the fixed camera, but having the option for OTS would be nice so long as the game remained of the survival-horror vein and didn't encourage "high-octane action".
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 am

HartleySan wrote:
One last thing I will say is that I remember when USFIV was coming out and people finally realized that we weren't getting Alex in that game, there was talk of Capcom starting a crowd-sourcing effort to collection enough money for them to justify the development time needed to add him to the game. It never actually happened, but Capcom does seem to consider options like that at times.

Alex did eventually get to appear in SFV though. It might have something to do with fan support. Still, him as a character, which is still a minor thing, is still a more popular request than a remade remake. I didn't mention this before but Capcom redid a lot of assets for REHD so it's not just a quick port. They even changed some of the environments into 3D so they wouldn't look so static in high definition.

On a quick side note, have you played either of the Revelations games?
Back to top Go down
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 7:28 pm

No, I haven't played the Revelations games. Actually, I've really only played the main games in the series. In other words: RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE0, RE4 and the remake of RE1. I've played RE5 some, but didn't really like it, and RE6 looked pretty horrible so I never touched it. Also, I never had the time nor the money in the old days to check out the minor games in the series. Now that I have the money though, I don't have as much interest in the smaller RE titles. I just want to see the original series done right.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 1:19 am

HartleySan wrote:
If you removed the aiming reticle, which I recommended above, then there is actually no tactical advantage to using OTS compared to the fixed camera. In fact, I could imagine as a player switching between the two on the fly in order to carefully navigate certain situations.

Also, I see what you're saying by the fixed camera adding to the horror element, but really, to me, it just adds to my frustration in the sense that you can hear a zombie but you can't actually see it, and then you end up just waiting for it to show up on the screen or you chance it and guess (usually to your character's detriment). In theory, it adds to the horror, but in reality, it just annoys me.

Anyway, like I said before, I do like the fixed camera, but having the option for OTS would be nice so long as the game remained of the survival-horror vein and didn't encourage "high-octane action".
It isn't about the aiming reticle or "tactical advantages", it's about the fact that the shooter camera reveals everything to you at a glance. It doesn't leave any room for fear of the unknown. The Lisa Trevor encounter in the mines is one of the scariest sequences in REmake for expressly that. You can't see what's around the next corner, you can only hear it. Will the next camera cut reveal a death stroke or an empty hall? Do you chance it and go for broke or be cautious and wait? The shooter camera would completely ruin a sequence like that. You call it an annoyance, but I call it suspense and part of the horror atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 2:29 am

HartleySan wrote:
No, I haven't played the Revelations games. Actually, I've really only played the main games in the series. In other words: RE1, RE2, RE3, RE:CV, RE0, RE4 and the remake of RE1. I've played RE5 some, but didn't really like it, and RE6 looked pretty horrible so I never touched it. Also, I never had the time nor the money in the old days to check out the minor games in the series. Now that I have the money though, I don't have as much interest in the smaller RE titles. I just want to see the original series done right.

I do recommend checking both the Revelations titles then. They are basically a very close side story to the main series itself and play very much like RE4. Looking at the things you want to see from the series as a whole, I would think you'd like these titles too. They aren't "smaller titles", as you put it. In fact, before becoming a series of their own, the first Revelations was much like Code: Veronica in regards to its status in the series.
Back to top Go down
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 6:42 am

Ghost Leader, you make some good points, and I agree with you 100%. With that said, I'm sticking by my point that (as an added option) the OTS camera would be interesting and it would require virtually no extra effort on Capcom's part to implement. And as long as the game is designed with the fixed camera in mind, I don't think it's an issue at all, as most players would never use it.
Back to top Go down
Ssplain
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
Ssplain

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 9:52 am

Oh yes, highly recommend the Revelations titles. They both have excellent gameplay and atmosphere. Revelations 2 also has major story progression for Resident Evil as a whole.
Back to top Go down
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 12:05 pm

I see that they're both on Steam so I guess I'd better check them out. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, guys.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Should probably mention, since you haven't beaten RE5, that RER2 has some major ties to that game.
Back to top Go down
HartleySan
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
HartleySan

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Also good to know. I suppose I should play all these games someday. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)   RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom) Empty

Back to top Go down

RE Remake Wish List (to Capcom)
Page 1 of 1