Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
I'm glad that... EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
I'm glad that... EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
I'm glad that... EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
I'm glad that... EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
I'm glad that... EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
I'm glad that... EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
I'm glad that... EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
I'm glad that... EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
I'm glad that... EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

I'm glad that...

Go down 
+5
Vandal
PWNERX
37 Narwhals
Mass Distraction
will1234562
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
will1234562
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
will1234562

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Alright, name things you didn't like in the old games, things you're glad the new ones don't have.
I'm glad that the new games don't have spider boss fights or any giant spiders. I'll be honest - I hate spiders and fighting one that's bigger than my kitchen table is not fun.
Still, I take my sweet revenge on the spiders in RE5...with a knife MUHAHAHA!
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Tank controls. They worked well in the past with the fixed camera angles but after the change to over the shoulder camera the games were begging for the ability to move and shoot. We did get that in the Survivor series but it was missing from the main series.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Mandatory door cut-scenes. I understand that they that they were necessary to hide loading times, but supposedly Zero and REmake didn't need them. They could've at least made them skippable for those two.
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

Playstation Network PWNER-XIII
Steam : pwner_xiii

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Umm....

I'm lost. All I can think of is the merchant. I'll miss those old fashioned Jill Sandwiches.
Back to top Go down
http://Isacwill_96@yahoo.com
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 4:56 pm

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mandatory door cut-scenes. I understand that they that they were necessary to hide loading times, but supposedly Zero and REmake didn't need them. They could've at least made them skippable for those two.
Fun fact: You can skip the door loading sequences in the PC versions.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Bad voice acting. Could never take the games seriously. Even the actors knew they sucked.
Back to top Go down
DXP
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
DXP

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:48 pm

All these are what made RE what RE is O.o

Their your opinions though and I respect those, one thing I'm glad the new games don't have is Barry as a main character because you know Capcom would find a way to screw that up.

Mines going to be a weird list because i'm going over why i'm glad old games don't have anything that the new games have:

Door loading sequences
Sure they were for loading but think of the other reason they were there, what is behind door number 2? Wait I have to open it to find out...oh hell. You just don't get that feeling in the new games anymore.

Typewriters
Sure 4 had them but after that Capcom axed the one thing that was the main staple of any Biohazard game. That moment when the save room music played you knew you were safe, that a typewriter was in the room so you could save your progress...again you don't have that anymore since its how many holes you can put into a ganedo now.

Tank Controls
Yeah for older games they worked and I know people are like it wouldn't work with a newer game, but shall we take Outbreak file 2 as an example? That was technically the first 3rd person RE game to allow walking and shooting at the same time(sure you couldn't run but it still was walk and shoot which was enough imo.)

Using an F-Aid Spray decreases your rank
I loved this, it made you have to conserve every herb you acquired and decide when to use one or not, new games you can use them without any penalty whatsoever...where is the challenge in that?

Tyrants
Never seen one at all in the new games, and thank god for that those things had some screwed up history and now we get giant flies, mutated tentacle Wesker, frigging horses running up railway lines...where the hell is RE gone?

Static angles
To this day I still say this is the one thing that gameplay wise sets both types of RE apart. You can't see around a corner until you reach it and even then you can hear....but how far are they around the corner? Hell what is around that corner? With the behind the shoulder cam its just typical run in without any thought of atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 1:25 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
I might get those versions for that reason alone. Do you know if it's easy to make them work on Windows 7, or are there compatibility problems?

Vandal wrote:
Bad voice acting. Could never take the games seriously. Even the actors knew they sucked.
I think RE6 might benefit from some terrible acting, at least then it could be fun to laugh at all the stupid crap in it.

DXP wrote:
Tank Controls
Yeah for older games they worked and I know people are like it wouldn't work with a newer game, but shall we take Outbreak file 2 as an example? That was technically the first 3rd person RE game to allow walking and shooting at the same time(sure you couldn't run but it still was walk and shoot which was enough imo.)
RE5 and Revelations had optional tank controls. Rev even let you walk and shoot while using them.
DXP wrote:

Typewriters
Sure 4 had them but after that Capcom axed the one thing that was the main staple of any Biohazard game. That moment when the save room music played you knew you were safe, that a typewriter was in the room so you could save your progress...again you don't have that anymore since its how many holes you can put into a ganedo now.
That reminds me, I don't miss the ink ribbons. I would like for save rooms to return though.
DXP wrote:

Static angles
To this day I still say this is the one thing that gameplay wise sets both types of RE apart. You can't see around a corner until you reach it and even then you can hear....but how far are they around the corner? Hell what is around that corner? With the behind the shoulder cam its just typical run in without any thought of atmosphere.
I personally prefer Code Veronica's camera style, but those were nice too.
Back to top Go down
will1234562
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
will1234562

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 2:35 am

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
I might get those versions for that reason alone. Do you know if it's easy to make them work on Windows 7, or are there compatibility problems?
RE3 works just fine. For the others - you'll have to run RE2 in compatibility mode (Windows 2000 works best for me) and the original - in Windows 95. The only problem I encountered is that in RE1 the cutscenes run too fast (the sound is normal though).
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 4:16 am

DXP wrote:
Door loading sequences
Sure they were for loading but think of the other reason they were there, what is behind door number 2? Wait I have to open it to find out...oh hell. You just don't get that feeling in the new games anymore.
They were there for a reason, of course. They already existed before they were even used for the whole "hide load times" purpose. See "Sweet Home".

Still, they went over and beyond with those "open door, wait game to load" in Outbreak. I have never waited for almost a minute to get to another room in any other game, ever.

DXP wrote:
Tyrants
Never seen one at all in the new games, and thank god for that those things had some screwed up history and now we get giant flies, mutated tentacle Wesker, frigging horses running up railway lines...where the hell is RE gone?
Depends on what you count as a "new game", new storyline or new as in it has been recently released. Because ORC had tyrants.

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Not sure about the others but RE2 needs some tinkering, especially if you actually want to keep your save files intact.

37 Narwhals wrote:
RE5 and Revelations had optional tank controls. Rev even let you walk and shoot while using them.
What do you mean "optional"? As far as I know, RE5 doesn't have any other control scheme available.
Back to top Go down
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 10:29 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
What do you mean "optional"? As far as I know, RE5 doesn't have any other control scheme available.
Optional meaning you can choose to use it (by going in the options screen), but you're not forced to. I know the console port of Rev has both "Classic" and "Shooter" options available; with "Shooter" being the default. I don't actually have a copy of RE5 to check but I thought it had something similar.

Mass Distraction wrote:
Not sure about the others but RE2 needs some tinkering, especially if you actually want to keep your save files intact.
will1234562 wrote:
RE3 works just fine. For the others - you'll have to run RE2 in compatibility mode (Windows 2000 works best for me) and the original - in Windows 95. The only problem I encountered is that in RE1 the cutscenes run too fast (the sound is normal though).
Thank you both for the help.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 10:47 am

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Optional meaning you can choose to use it (by going in the options screen), but you're not forced to. I know the console port of Rev has both "Classic" and "Shooter" options available; with "Shooter" being the default. I don't actually have a copy of RE5 to check but I thought it had something similar.
You can only change the button configuration in RE5. As far as I know, the shooting mechanism in RER doesn't really affect the gameplay at all, apart from the aiming being either from the first or third person view.
Back to top Go down
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:19 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
You can only change the button configuration in RE5. As far as I know, the shooting mechanism in RER doesn't really affect the gameplay at all, apart from the aiming being either from the first or third person view.
The port doesn't have first person view. Shooter controls means that you press L1 to aim, R1 to shoot, the left stick controls movement while the right controls aiming; pretty much what one would expect from a modern shooter.The classic controls are a modified RE4 scheme; R1 to aim, square to shoot, left stick controls both movement and aiming.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:25 am

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
The port doesn't have first person view. Shooter controls means that you press L1 to aim, R1 to shoot, the left stick controls movement while the right controls aiming; pretty much what one would expect from a modern shooter.The classic controls are a modified RE4 scheme; R1 to aim, square to shoot, left stick controls both movement and aiming.
I know that but wasn't this whole thing about the tank controls? The button layout makes no difference.
Back to top Go down
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:45 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
I know that but wasn't this whole thing about the tank controls? The button layout makes no difference.
Play RE1-3 using the stick to move and it's pretty much the same as Rev's classic movement; pressing up on the left stick lets you walk forward, down goes backwards, and left/right make your character rotate.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 4:52 pm

will1234562 wrote:
There were spiders in RE5?
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 pm

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
Play RE1-3 using the stick to move and it's pretty much the same as Rev's classic movement; pressing up on the left stick lets you walk forward, down goes backwards, and left/right make your character rotate.
And..? Isn't that exactly what this whole thing was about? I know how tank controls work. I have played the games, you know. I just don't see how telling me the button configurations related to anything.

Ghost Leader wrote:
will1234562 wrote:
Big-ish ones in the ruins crawling on the walls.
Back to top Go down
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
And..? Isn't that exactly what this whole thing was about? I know how tank controls work. I have played the games, you know. I just don't see how telling me the button configurations related to anything.
I took your post as you saying that Rev doesn't have any alternate control scheme, maybe I misunderstood. I don't know if the 3DS version does or not so I explained how it is in the port. The point is that the left stick in the Rev's classic scheme functions exactly like in the old games and therefore it has tank controls.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
I took your post as you saying that Rev doesn't have any alternate control scheme, maybe I misunderstood. I don't know if the 3DS version does or not so I explained how it is in the port. The point is that the left stick in the Rev's classic scheme functions exactly like in the old games and therefore it has tank controls.

What I'm trying to say here is that whatever the buttons are in the game, they don't allow for non-tank controls. The game either plays with those or doesn't. No RE game gives to option to not have tank controls if those are the default. All games have optional control schemes but that has no relevance to the tank controls. For example, out of the main series only RE6 lacks tank controls.
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Let's see.....

Ink ribbons: So many times, I wouldn't be able to save just because I didn't have an ink ribbon on me....wasting a precious slot. This was a bigger problem in 0 since you literally had to carry everything on you.

Static cameras: Good grief, so many times I'd think I had space to run between a zombie only to find myself being bitten. That's what's always stopping me from doing No-damage runs.

Tank controls: As Mass said before, they were good with the early games, but they needed to be dropped eventually. Especially in Zero. You would have enemies with quick attacks and the Tank controls felt so slow.

Lack of proper aiming: Because of the cameras, all we could do is aim up, middle, and down. Getting headshots was a chore for non shotguns and magnums because we never got to be precise.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:
will1234562 wrote:
Yes but none pose any threat.
Back to top Go down
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
What I'm trying to say here is that whatever the buttons are in the game, they don't allow for non-tank controls. The game either plays with those or doesn't. No RE game gives to option to not have tank controls if those are the default. All games have optional control schemes but that has no relevance to the tank controls. For example, out of the main series only RE6 lacks tank controls.
So what you're saying is that the default "Shooter" controls are also tank controls, am I correct? I disagree because I consider the D-pad/stick configuration to be a part of what tank controls are. Semantics aren't an interesting topic of discussion so instead of debating about which definition is right I'll just try to be more clear about controls in the future.

I'll clarify what I meant from the start; Revelations gives you the option to choose between a Gears of War-esque control scheme and one close to Resident Evil 4 (and therefore similar to RE1-3). Can we agree on that?

By the way, your third sentence isn't completely true, the N64 version of RE2 actually does allow for non-tank controls. If you choose the type C or type D configuration, then the character moves in the exact direction you press, relative to the camera angle.

Last edited by 37 Narwhals on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:21 pm

There was a very good reason I never touched those C/D Type Controls.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 4:02 am

37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
So what you're saying is that the default "Shooter" controls are also tank controls, am I correct? I disagree because I consider the D-pad/stick configuration to be a part of what tank controls are. Semantics aren't an interesting topic of discussion so instead of debating about which definition is right I'll just try to be more clear about controls in the future.

I'll clarify what I meant from the start; Revelations gives you the option to choose between a Gears of War-esque control scheme and one close to Resident Evil 4 (and therefore similar to RE1-3). Can we agree on that?

By the way, your third sentence isn't completely true, the N64 version of RE2 actually does allow for non-tank controls. If you choose the type C or type D configuration, then the character moves in the exact direction you press, relative to the camera angle.
No, I am not saying that. "Tank controls" mean "press up to move forward" and that the character moves in a tank like motion with the whole turning around and all. The only reason I replied to your comment about the controls is because it hardly matters what button is shoot and what button is use when we are talking about the character's movement.

This:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Shooter controls means that you press L1 to aim, R1 to shoot, the left stick controls movement while the right controls aiming; pretty much what one would expect from a modern shooter.The classic controls are a modified RE4 scheme; R1 to aim, square to shoot, left stick controls both movement and aiming.
I was not saying anything about the "shooter" and "classic" controls. At all. I was talking about tank controls, which essentially means the character's way of movement. Aiming is a completely different animal.

Never owned a Nintendo console after NES, so haven't played RE2 on that.

Vandal wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:
will1234562 wrote:
Yes, but she just said that she likes to kill them to get revenge, propably due to a traumatizing event in one of the earlier games.
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 4:41 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:

No, I am not saying that. "Tank controls" mean "press up to move forward" and that the character moves in a tank like motion with the whole turning around and all. The only reason I replied to your comment about the controls is because it hardly matters what button is shoot and what button is use when we are talking about the character's movement.

This:
37 Narwhals wrote:
Shooter controls means that you press L1 to aim, R1 to shoot, the left stick controls movement while the right controls aiming; pretty much what one would expect from a modern shooter.The classic controls are a modified RE4 scheme; R1 to aim, square to shoot, left stick controls both movement and aiming.
I was not saying anything about the "shooter" and "classic" controls. At all. I was talking about tank controls, which essentially means the character's way of movement. Aiming is a completely different animal.

Never owned a Nintendo console after NES, so haven't played RE2 on that.

Vandal wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:
will1234562 wrote:
Yes, but she just said that she likes to kill them to get revenge, propably due to a traumatizing event in one of the earlier games.

On those FPS controls on RE2 N64...they're terrible. Just...terrible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm glad that... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm glad that...   I'm glad that... Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm glad that...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next