HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)

Go down 
+7
Mass Distraction
PWNERX
Ghost Leader
Pau Diaz
Vandal
Known_Hero
EQOAnostalgia
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EQOAnostalgia
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
EQOAnostalgia

Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) Empty
PostSubject: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 am

Happy Halloween!

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/EQOAnostalgia
Known_Hero
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

Playstation Network Known_Hero

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 5:31 pm

I agree that Indie gaming is the next big thing in gaming. Sony understands this as well which is why they are working with indie developers for the next gen.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

I don't feel that Slender or Amnesia has a right to be called survival horror. It could be horror, but not survival horror.

In order for it to be survival horror, I think it's always better if you have a clear form of self defense, ie a gun with ammo. If you can't defend yourself, there isn't that much surviving.
Back to top Go down
Pau Diaz
Zombie
Zombie
Pau Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 2:02 pm

I say the survival horror genre has given way to a more action oriented and dynamic mode of game play. I would say that the glitz and glamor of modern firearms is responsible.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Pau Diaz wrote:
I would say that the glitz and glamor of modern firearms is responsible.
Hardly. If that were the case, the transformation would have come far sooner.

Last edited by Ghost Leader on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

Playstation Network PWNER-XIII
Steam : pwner_xiii

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Vandal wrote:
I don't feel that Slender or Amnesia has a right to be called survival horror. It could be horror, but not survival horror.

In order for it to be survival horror, I think it's always better if you have a clear form of self defense, ie a gun with ammo. If you can't defend yourself, there isn't that much surviving.
Although Amnesia did not have a proper combat system, it's still survival horror due to how you try and stay alive. Slender...well it's inevitable death. And no matter what, it's a Horror Chase Simulator...with a single objective.
Back to top Go down
http://Isacwill_96@yahoo.com
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 2:46 am

PWNERX wrote:
Vandal wrote:

Although Amnesia did not have a proper combat system, it's still survival horror due to how you try and stay alive. Slender...well it's inevitable death. And no matter what, it's a Horror Chase Simulator...with a single objective.
I concur on Amnesia being survival horror. You have to use your wits to survive. You don't necessarily have to be armed to call it surviving.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

Playstation Network DARIOC2013

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:16 am

The Last of Us had some classic elements of Survival Horror (I know that the genre of this game IS survival horror but you know the term has changed over the years) that reminded me of old RE
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 am

Last of Us was way too easy for me to consider it even horror.
Back to top Go down
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
indeed, especially if you've played Uncharted before. Now that I think about it..... TLOU doesn't have any horror in it
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:13 am

PAULSAMSON wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
indeed, especially if you've played Uncharted before. Now that I think about it.....  TLOU doesn't have any horror in it
Yup. It's kind of like an Uncharted game where the awesome climbing is replaced with sub-par sneaking. It ain't no Metal Gear. Fun game, just not really what I was expecting.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 11:31 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
PWNERX wrote:
Vandal wrote:

I concur on Amnesia being survival horror. You have to use your wits to survive. You don't necessarily have to be armed to call it surviving.
True, you don't have to be armed to call it a survival horror, but I think if you can't defend yourself, it fails to be a survival game. If you have to resort to hiding or running it feels more like a horror game rather than a survival horror.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 2:40 am

Vandal wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
PWNERX wrote:
Vandal wrote:

True, you don't have to be armed to call it a survival horror, but I think if you can't defend yourself, it fails to be a survival game. If you have to resort to hiding or running it feels more like a horror game rather than a survival horror.
But even running and hiding is definitely surviving.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
Vandal wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
PWNERX wrote:
Vandal wrote:

I'd have to argue against that. That would mean technically every game ever made is pretty much a survival game because your hero or heroine survives to the end. First person shooters are just shooting out to live by the end of the level, adventure games are just surviving the harsh landscapes and mind bending puzzles. I don't see what's wrong with just calling Amnesia a Horror game, I think a survival horror game has to have several things; it must have a clear form of self defense, in Amnesia I'm sure everyone at least tried to swing something at the monster to no avail. Your form of self defense is limited and makes you think twice about freely using it. In Dead Space, you wonder if it was good idea to blast the necromorph on the floor rather than stomping on it until it's nothing but a pile of meat. Your health or condition is imparative, you have to be mindful of the damage you take in a survival horror and distribute your healing items accordingly, otherwise, one hit kills are sort of just a thing that happens in the game, it takes away from the survival element.
Back to top Go down
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 am

I think that the aspects of survival horror are just a few: scarse ammo (and little to no methods of killing enemies besides a knife Razz) narrow places, creepy music, creepy enemies, little chance of saving, NO CHECKPOINTS, and a shit load of difficulty settings
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 am

Vandal wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
Vandal wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
PWNERX wrote:
Vandal wrote:

I'd have to argue against that. That would mean technically every game ever made is pretty much a survival game because your hero or heroine survives to the end. First person shooters are just shooting out to live by the end of the level, adventure games are just surviving the harsh landscapes and mind bending puzzles. I don't see what's wrong with just calling Amnesia a Horror game, I think a survival horror game has to have several things; it must have a clear form of self defense, in Amnesia I'm sure everyone at least tried to swing something at the monster to no avail. Your form of self defense is limited and makes you think twice about freely using it. In Dead Space, you wonder if it was good idea to blast the necromorph on the floor rather than stomping on it until it's nothing but a pile of meat. Your health or condition is imparative, you have to be mindful of the damage you take in a survival horror and distribute your healing items accordingly, otherwise, one hit kills are sort of just a thing that happens in the game, it takes away from the survival element.
You point being? "Adventure game" is a very broad genre, so is "action", yet not all games that could fit these categories are labeled as such. Also, I am not saying the character "only survives". I am saying you survive the game by using your wits, not your weapons. Amnesia doesn't have one hit kills, although the likeliness of death is more than present when a monster sees you. There are healing items for both your mental and physical health and you can, in fact, survive the assault of one of the monsters if you are quick, know your way around and use your health items wisely. Hard but not impossible.

That all being said, I'm not at all against just calling Amnesia "horror". I'm just saying that it does indeed have the ingredients to be called a survival horror game.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 am

I suppose. I just don't immediately think of it when someone mentions survival horror. But I guess that's just me.
Back to top Go down
EQOAnostalgia
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
EQOAnostalgia

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Yeah for me survival horror in the classic sense of the word has to do with a steep difficulty, good management of the resources available to you. Limited resources available to you. Of course it has to be scary/creepy. The music as subtle as it may seem should be creepy and lend it'self to the atmosphere. Actually being able to fight in some capacity is a must. Like Shinji Mikami said in a interview about The Evil Within. Loosely quoting but he said something along the lines of. Having a scary enemy and then blowing it's head off is survival horror. I have to agree lol. Nothing like barely getting out alive with that last bullet blasting a zombies head apart as you limp away wondering "CRAP... i need ammo, i hope nothing else attacks me until i find a clip!"
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:25 am

EQOAnostalgia wrote:
i hope nothing else attacks me until i find a clip!"
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) Clip_vs_magazine

[/OCD rage]
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

Playstation Network PWNER-XIII
Steam : pwner_xiii

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:23 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
EQOAnostalgia wrote:

[/OCD rage]
Then in RE1 Handgun Ammunition...

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Back to top Go down
http://Isacwill_96@yahoo.com
AWDCP
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
AWDCP

Playstation Network IceFireWarden
Steam : IceFireWarden

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 am

PWNERX wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:
EQOAnostalgia wrote:

[/OCD rage]
Then in RE1 Handgun Ammunition...

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
That Hyperspace Arsenal working out for you yet?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AWeDontCareProduct/featured
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 10:39 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
EQOAnostalgia wrote:
[/OCD rage]
Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) 800px-RE4rifleLoad
Back to top Go down
EQOAnostalgia
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
EQOAnostalgia

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
EQOAnostalgia wrote:

[/OCD rage]
Details details.
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm

PAULSAMSON wrote:
I think that the aspects of survival horror are just a few: scarse ammo (and little to no methods of killing enemies besides a knife Razz) narrow places, creepy music, creepy enemies, little chance of saving, NO CHECKPOINTS, and a shit load of difficulty settings
I'd hate having no checkpoints as a requirement. It was always annoying how I'd have to run all the way back to a save zone just to save my game. Especially if I was a first timer. When I have work or school to go to in a couple of hours and I'm trying to limit my saves, I don't want to have to keep wasting them.
Back to top Go down
37 Narwhals
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
37 Narwhals

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 6:57 pm

PAULSAMSON wrote:
I don't think limited saves are necessary for survival horror. Did any SH games besides RE even do that?

Nobudy wrote:
I'd hate having no checkpoints as a requirement. It was always annoying how I'd have to run all the way back to a save zone just to save my game. Especially if I was a first timer. When I have work or school to go to in a couple of hours and I'm trying to limit my saves, I don't want to have to keep wasting them.
I think the limited saves thing is annoying too. If I grab every ribbon I see, then it's pointless and doesn't affect me. If I don't, then I'll have to run all the back to a different typewriter just because I don't want to lose an hour of progress. That being said, I don't think checkpoints are good for survival horror either. Imagine that you're running low on health and supplies and then the game auto-saves right before a boss fight.

Saving whenever you want could work well, but save-scumming could make things way too easy. So I think the ideal solution would be to have RE4 style typewriters for permanent saves, and let the player create a temporary save(similar to outbreak's typewriters) whenever they want
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)   Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video) Empty

Back to top Go down

Survival Horror:Where has it gone? (video)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next