HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Voltius
Zombie
Zombie
Voltius

Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: Empty
PostSubject: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:

The 3 points of "survival horror": 1) not have enough ammo to kill all enemies 2) be forced to leave certain enemies alive and think carefully about which enemies to leave alive 3) to be given a choices and suffer the consequences of those choices.

It must have Atmosphere and a Closed World:
- It's not the location, it's the moodiness of the area. Atmosphere is the art of containing an area and creating things to do and feel within that area. An open world survival horror game is never as detailed, meaningful, narrative, as a closed world. An open world gives the player a feeling that they can run away or escape to whatever they see in the horizon. This is why I hate open world zombie shooter games like DayZ, Dead Island, and the 20+ others. I need to feel trapped, and further face my fears in order to escape the trap. Open world games just don't provide that. They give too much choice as to how to navigate the world. You can avoid closed off narrow areas. I want to be cornered, I want to feel trapped, I want to face my fears inside a limited space with enemies surrounding me. To me, that is fear. To be creative with a limited set of options and ammo, not placed in a giant map with freedom, infinitely spawning weapons and enemies.

Use Darkness, Night, Evening, Dusk, Twilight, Heavy Overcast, NOT daylight:
- We learned a valuable lesson with RE5, daytime is not scary, nor moody, nor atmospheric. People try their best to excuse it or argue the point but there's a reason why horror is synonymous with darkness and night time. Night time not only creates a more moody atmosphere but makes the player feel like the rest of the world is sleeping /or/ can't see you and therefor isn't coming to help you. Darkness can make you feel hopeless. 

Darkness also isolates the player visually into only seeing what is in their immediate vicinity. With daylight, the player can see far off into the distance. This makes a moody atmosphere more difficult to create as players start focusing more on the mystery of what's in the distance instead of the details of what's near them.

Even older RE game that take place during the day use lots of clouds or overcast weather to create the feeling of atmosphere and containment.

Use Pre-Rendered Backgrounds for Super Detailed Rooms:
- You have to admit something special was lost when we went from pre-rendered backgrounds in RE0, RE1, RE2, RE3 to fully 3D environments in Code Veronica, Outbreak, RE4, RE5, RE6, & Revelations. Even as beautiful as 3D can get, it's just not as masterfully created as a pre-rendered background which almost always features more grit, gack, objects, textures, uniqueness, flaws, dust, personality, and detail. 

The Paris Apartment Unreal Engine tech demo of 2015 and PT Trailer made using Konami's Fox Engine might be the best replacement for pre-rendered backgrounds but keep in mind...Every time 3D gets better, Pre-rendered backgrounds get EVEN better. Ever look through an IKEA catalog, a lot of those rooms and furniture you see are really 3D models. They would be considered Pre-rendered images and they are hyper realistic to the point where you can't tell it's computer graphics anymore. Pre-rendered backgrounds are just a snapshot of actual 3D rooms and will always, ALWAYS, have the ability to be more detailed than real time 3D because of artistic touches that can be added in and layered on. . A room with a billion objects in it, each with their own shadow would not be easy to render in realtime 3D. But a pre-rendered background of it can easily be shown to the player.

Use Camera Angles instead of 1st person or over the shoulder type cameras:
- First person views don't show your character's face, their costume, the back of your character, the state of your character, the emotion in your character's face, their breathlessness, their hopelessness, nor what is behind or to the side of your character. If 1st person /or/ over the shoulder cameras were best for narratives then movies would all be filmed in 1st person view. They're not. For a reason. Camera angles are best at showing a character in relation to the room and to others. Camera angles add emotion, atmosphere and direction to a narrative.

1st person = experience, 3rd person = observation. The way a player reacts to seeing their character approaching a zombie in a small hallway and the way the player reacts to walking up to a zombie in a small room are very different. 1st person gives you the feeling that you are in control while 3rd person lets you control another hopeless soul. 

Simply put I hate seeing the back of my character for the entire game. I hate not seeing a zombie chasing me. 

Master the sense of "Isolation" and "No one is coming":
Funny how in RE1, a mansion crawling with no more than 4 zombies in the occasional room is more scary, frightening, and offers a better experience than RE6's Hong Kong being infested with hundreds of enemies. Being a big city, with lots of people (even if most are infected or enemies) is almost never as horrifying as being alone in an abandoned building with a small number of infected enemies. Areas with lots of people give off a safety in numbers vibe while an isolated mansion, an underground lab, little streets and shops in a small midwest town give off a "everyone's dead and no one is coming" feeling. The feeling of people missing is one of the most powerful feelings a horror game can create. 

Just look at Alien: Isolation. 1 enemy, 1 big space station, mostly empty. Very few survivors. No one can help you. 

Music:
- Music is the emotion, fear, dread, and calm of Resident Evil. Play any of the 1st 4 Resident Evil games without music and you'll see what's missing. This is basically what the later resident evil games have turned into. Before, every room and part of the mansion/police station/city/island had it's own soundtrack. Now with RE 4,5,6 and revelations. Most of the areas have nothing but silence. No memorable emotional or dread inducing music. Nothing. And the music that does play occasionally is no where near as memorable as the earlier soundtracks

Minimal UI:
- Keep HUD menus off the screen. Health, inventory, ammo count should be tucked away.

Realistic Items & Upgrades:
- As fun as it was upgrading guns in RE4, the way RE2 handled upgrades was the most true to Survial Horror. It was realistic, and carried casequences. To upgrade a gun you had to find the upgrade parts, when combined the new gun would be more powerful but more slow. Things like the "merchant" from RE4, or the upgrade system in RE5 and Revelations are fun but do not belong nor fit in a survival horror game.

Show as few visual "game-elements" as possible:
- In resident evil ammo, health, and weapons would have a slight shine to them. They didn't have any UI pop up telling you you could pick them up, they didn't have a glowing cylinder of light above them. That's how you knew you could pick them up. THAT's how you do it. Subtly. Realistically. The more game like elements a survival horror game has the more it ruins the reality and pulls you out of the experience. In Dino Crisis, ammo boxes would levitate and rotate in a room. Yeah, don't do that. Nothing screams "it's ok! there's no reason to be afraid! this is only a game!" like controller tutorials and health and ammo HUDs being on screen throughout the experience.

Do Not reward the player for kills with points or ammo drops from enemies:
- Zombies, enemies, and monsters should generally NOT drop ammo unless it makes sense for them to (the enemy is a cop or swat team member, or Nemesis (boss)). This is unrealistic and encourages enemy interaction. It turns the game into a mow-em-down zombie action shooter. It rewards killing enemies with the ability to kill even more enemies and unbalances gameplay in favor of the player and not the horror element (zombies). There should only be so much ammo and so many enemies as to always make the player think and strategize about weather a kill is necessary. This is what separates survival horror from action zombie games.

Do NOT make enemies spawn perpetually: 
- This destroys the feeling that the player can affect and change the world around them. There's nothing better than clearing out an area of enemies and backtracking through that area knowing that I made it safe. Constantly re-spawning enemies just takes away realism, destroys cause and effect, and messes with game balance and ammo to enemy ratios.

RE: Outbreak had infinitely re-spawning enemies and it was annoying. You could never make an area safe. And since ammo was limited but the enemies were not. It was easy to screw yourself over. 

Have a high Ammo to Enemy Ratio:
If there's 100 enemies in the game, only give me enough ammo to only kill 50-60 of them. This forces me to choose and strategize. The thinking part of a game is what makes the game shine. Mindlessly mowing down zombies isn't survival horror it's a zombie shooter. 

Leave enemies on the ground, Don't fade them away:
- Resident Evil remake did this best. It showed it was possible. It was always possible to kill an enemy, step out of the room far away to the other side of the mansion, come back and have that same enemy on the ground in the same location you killed it. Most games now have the enemies bubble, fizz and fade away or disappear when you turn around.

Either use lots of slow enemies, 1 fast enemy, or 1 slow but insta-kill capable enemy, NEVER lots of fast enemies.
- Slow moving zombies are what it's all about, this gives you time to chose weather or not you want to waste ammo on them. It allows the player to think, to wonder, to evade or to fight, to lure or to confront. Left 4 Dead zombies are fast as hell and require no strategy. Just keep shooting and mow them down. How Left 4 Dead is considered a survival horror game I don't know. It's barely horror. It's "Zombie Shooter" more than anything else. The game is mindless and you almost never have to worry about strategizing to deal with the zombies. There is no choice, only bullet spraying. There's no reason to keep any of them alive.

Fatal Mele Weapons should be avoided:
- mele weapons that can kill are nothing more than short distance guns with infinite ammo. It messes with the ammo/enemy ratio. The Knife in RE games is a bit different because it's very risky to use. Mele

Generally avoid "Chapters":
- Was there any good reason for RE4's chapter system? No. You couldn't go directly to a chapter anyway. RE5 was a bit of a long game so a chapter system benefited replays. Generally though it should be avoided. Chatpers make the game feel like a book, one that has already been written and you have no say in the matter. Chapters give off a feeling of safety and remove a feeling of uncertainty. It makes the player think "someone else is controlling my destiny".

No RPG "level up" elements please:
- It's unrealistic and unnecessary.

What do you guys agree and disagree with? Anything to add?
Back to top Go down
MSR
User BANNED
User BANNED

Playstation Network Screw Sony

Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 7:07 pm

So much win right here.

Teh_Spike agrees with pretty much everything. But there wouldn't be any harm in having an effective sword that deteriorates. Like if it starts at 100% and goes down til it's useless. Use it up until it can't be used anymore, like certain machine guns in earlier RE games.

Also, infinite spawning enemies can be annoying and untealistic, but in the case of Outbreak...it kinda makes sense, as it is in Raccoon City.
Back to top Go down
Voltius
Zombie
Zombie
Voltius

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 8:16 pm

MSR wrote:
 infinite spawning enemies can be annoying and untealistic, but in the case of Outbreak...it kinda makes sense, as it is in Raccoon City.

True. Just not in places like the Abandoned Hospital in flash back scenario. Where I'd clear out the top floor of zombies and they'd spawn right back in in less than a minute.
Back to top Go down
MSR
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 10:01 am

you make some interesting points about it needing have a certain atmosphere and how open world affects a lot of this. But what about having open world (Ala DayZ, GTA, Undead Nightmare), but have areas you go to and it will contain all the claustrophobic narrow halls you could wish for.

Also, Teh_Spike would like to add to this the idea of the gameplay indeed using camera angles, but when you aim it goes OTS, but no laser sight or crosshair. Just the middle of the screen.

EDIT:

The controls are important as well. Honestly, REV2's controls are nearly perfect. Allow Teh_Spike to go into more detail

So using Rev2's C-1 classic control scheme as a base referrence. Sorry for those who use the newer control schemes and for those playing on something other than 360, especially since C-1 is NOT default. Most of you can probably translate Xbox to PS anyway, i.e. A=X, B=O, Y=Triangle, Right Bumper=R2, Etc.

HOLD R - Ready Weapon/Aim

Press X - Fire Weapon (while aiming)(pressing X on its own in RE6/REV2 usually does a physical melee but maybe that should be omit, in the name of horror? Voltius? )

Hold A - Run (Ok so Rev1 made it to where you just press forward slightly to walk and press the stick All the way forward to run without even having to use A. Rev 2 makes the A button more of a sprint .

Press B - Reload(while aiming or not)Teh_Spike likes using B to reload cause it feels comfortable as a GTA player.

Hold Y - Use Herb (yes holding it to quick use is best because you won't accidentally just use it by inadvertently pressing Y.)

Pressing Right Analogue Stick In - Crouch (this is new to the series but oh such a cool feature. Nothing wrong with having sneaking in the game)

Right Stick - Camera ONLY. I hate in Rev2 how moving the camera also moves the direction the player is looking, have it like RE4/RE5. Of course if the game utilizes camera angles maybe just allow the Right Stick to slightly move the camera view, like in UC? Come on Mass you gotta like that one! So like the camera view can see you at the end of a hall coming toward the camera and you hear a zombie moaning, just move the Right Stick to slightly move the camera and get more of a view. It's sneaky, and would actually be pretty cool. Think back to CVX especially, it would have the occasional automated moving camera.

Right Stick While Aiming - Straif while aiming/Shooting. (It's only slow movement not run n gun, so it's cool. )

That's all for now. Teh Spike will add to. Not really sure what L should be assigned. Honestly does anyone really like Holding L for Quick Knife? It was cool in RE4 when Leon and Krauser had their own unique knives. In RE5 it was so lame how EVERYONE had a knife, even Excella. Teh Spike is also unsure about Rev_2's dodging. It's cool, but honestly I forget to even use it most of the time and do just fine without.
Back to top Go down
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

Playstation Network DARIOC2013

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 8:22 am

what about a fatal melee weapon that can only be used in stealthy kills, like Rev 2 did? I don't like them, but personally I think it is because they felt the need to include them since LoU and Evil Within had them
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 9:20 am

PAULSAMSON wrote:
what about a fatal melee weapon that can only be used in stealthy kills, like Rev 2 did? I don't like them, but personally I think it is because they felt the need to include them since LoU and Evil Within had them

Fatal stealth melee is way better than the retarded way these chacracters usually use their knives. Just slashing at the face of the undead won't do much good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
MSR
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 10:01 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
PAULSAMSON wrote:

Fatal stealth melee is way better than the retarded way these chacracters usually use their knives. Just slashing at the face of the undead won't do much good.

That's an interesting idea PAULSAMSON. It would be like how Barry wouldn't only use his signature Magnum as a melee in RE5 Mercenaries Reunion. "Miranda Rights" and the "Gun Bash".

@Mass, yeah, the knife has always been lame. That's why Teh Spike enjoyed how in RE6, Chris, who has always been known to have and often carry big knives (RE1/REmake he had a 6 inch hunting knife from his days in the Air Force and in RE5 he had basically a machete on his back shoulder. Twas a cool idea, but Capcom seems pretty indecisive regarding what they want to do with C.Redfield) but the moves Chris had with the knife that were unique and exclusive to him ONLY (even tho Leon had a knife in the story and Jake's alt attire in Mercs was equipped with a knife) were fucking ace! Chris' neck snap move was replaced with a throat slit and the stomp was replaced with a stabbing move. Plus his quick-shot with the knife swings it around more purposefully than a simple swipe to the zombies face.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have:   Survival Horror Purist Bible: What any true Resident Evil Survival Horror title has to have: Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1