HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?

Go down 
+4
frodomir
Regenerator
Spike991
Ghost Leader
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? Empty
PostSubject: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 10:11 pm

I posed this question on another forum, but I also want to hear the opinions of you guys here.

I'm posing this question because, as I sit here with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within running on my GC, I can't help but wonder if the "Golden Age" of gaming has come and gone with the departure of the PS2/X-box/Gamecube era.

A few "current gen" (that is, PS3/360/Wii era) games I had intense interest in prior to their release are Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed, and the new Prince of Persia, but I still can't help but be less interested in them than I am with certain "last gen" games like the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time trilogy, God of War & God of War II, and such.

I mean, if I liked the previous gen Prince of Persia games, I should like the new one just as much since it's the same concept I continue to play and enjoy, but it just doesn't seem to "click" in the same way. Yet I put Warrior Within or The Two Thrones in my Gamecube, and the gameplay I seem less interested in with the new one just pulls me right back in.
It's kind of difficult to explain, but...I hope you get what I mean.

So...did gaming's Golden Age pass us by without us even realizing it?
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 pm

I think that we just need some more time for some really great, memorable games to come out, then a few years from now we will be talking about some of them, as they are classics.Smile RE5 for example.Smile

Also, I have never played Prince Of Persia, although I had wanted to, I just never got it, and I also didn't realize that it is on GC, & since you talk about it very praisingly, I just might look into that.Smile
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 1:51 am

Spike991 wrote:
I think that we just need some more time for some really great, memorable games to come out, then a few years from now we will be talking about some of them, as they are classics.Smile RE5 for example.Smile
There are a few notable exceptions...among them Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Metal Gear Solid 4, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and the WWE SvR franchise...but games like Assassin's Creed and Heavenly Sword, I just absolutely could not wait for them to release, but once they did, they just seemed...uninteresting. I mean, I have yet to even complete Assassin's Creed yet.
Quote :
Also, I have never played Prince Of Persia, although I had wanted to, I just never got it, and I also didn't realize that it is on GC, & since you talk about it very praisingly, I just might look into that.Smile
Yeah, I highly recommend the Prince of Persia games. They're unique in that the hero, a Persian prince known only as "the Prince", isn't a muscle-bound monster that fights with a giant sword and the strength of an entire army. Instead he's average height, athletic, and extremely agile. He relies on his agility and acrobatic capabilities (used in conjunction with his environment) to defeat his adversaries. Sheer technique as opposed to brute force. Warrior Within (the second one) is my favorite, but I'd suggest playing them in order from first to last (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, then The Two Thrones) to better experience the story. The new one is a complete reboot of the series, having nothing to do with the Sands of Time plot line.

They're actually on all three last gen consoles, but the GC versions are the least buggiest.
Back to top Go down
Regenerator
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
Regenerator

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:47 am

you know I have been thinking about this the past week and yes I do think it has come and gone...I just miss all the great games they had for PS2...but I do think that some of the games that will be coming out will turn into instant classics
Back to top Go down
frodomir
Tyrant T-002
Tyrant T-002
frodomir

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 am

There will always come new stuff, and developers try to add more realism to games these days...

Most of them look great, but goes away from prev. series
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL82840D4D5BD5B60F&feat
Indiana Jones
Zombie
Zombie
Indiana Jones

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 pm

lol, the reason you think its over because you played games like Assassins Creed, and heavenly Sword Very Happy

Try playing MGS4, Mass Effect or Bioshock, trust me, the golden age has just begun...

as far as longing for past games, well thats just nostalgia, in other words it had good memories. When last gen came out, I missed old games like Mario 64, Zelda, and the past RE games. Same for now, I miss game experiences like the remake, Re4 (fucking bandwagoners) Mgs 2 and 3, and so on and so forth.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:
lol, the reason you think its over because you played games like Assassins Creed, and heavenly Sword Very Happy
I like platformer and hack'n'slash games. Sue me for being partial. Besides, I don't have the budget for "wild cards" like Little Big Planet (I know you didn't mention it, I'm just using it as an example).
Quote :
Try playing MGS4, Mass Effect or Bioshock, trust me, the golden age has just begun...
I have played MGS4 (and while it's a perfect 10 IMO, it still left a bit to be desired), but Mass Effect and Bioshock don't interest me. "Wild cards".
Quote :
as far as longing for past games, well thats just nostalgia, in other words it had good memories.
If you say so. But, too me, newer games just seem less engrossing.
Quote :
When last gen came out, I missed old games like Mario 64, Zelda, and the past RE games. Same for now, I miss game experiences like the remake, Re4 (fucking bandwagoners) Mgs 2 and 3, and so on and so forth.
Well, I guess the great thing about "last gen" consoles and games is that you can get them dirt cheap. Smile
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
Spike991 wrote:
There are a few notable exceptions...among them Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Metal Gear Solid 4, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and the WWE SvR franchise...but games like Assassin's Creed and Heavenly Sword, I just absolutely could not wait for them to release, but once they did, they just seemed...uninteresting. I mean, I have yet to even complete Assassin's Creed yet.
Quote :
Yeah, I highly recommend the Prince of Persia games. They're unique in that the hero, a Persian prince known only as "the Prince", isn't a muscle-bound monster that fights with a giant sword and the strength of an entire army. Instead he's average height, athletic, and extremely agile. He relies on his agility and acrobatic capabilities (used in conjunction with his environment) to defeat his adversaries. Sheer technique as opposed to brute force. Warrior Within (the second one) is my favorite, but I'd suggest playing them in order from first to last (Sands of Time, Warrior Within, then The Two Thrones) to better experience the story. The new one is a complete reboot of the series, having nothing to do with the Sands of Time plot line.

They're actually on all three last gen consoles, but the GC versions are the least buggiest.

I was really exited for MGS4, & I still haven't been able to play it, except the very very beginning, so I still want to play it alot, but other than that, Force Unleashed & RE5, there wasn't anything that I was personally exited for.Smile

I have seen gameplay from POP(Prince Of Persia), and it looks like alot of fun, with how "The Prince" is able to jump around on everything, it looks fast paced, and action packed, & I always remember in Trailers from Two Thrones how they used "Stand Alone" from Godsmack.Smile I can find those at Gamestop right, not have to search on ebay?Smile
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Spike991 wrote:
I have seen gameplay from POP(Prince Of Persia), and it looks like alot of fun, with how "The Prince" is able to jump around on everything, it looks fast paced, and action packed, & I always remember in Trailers from Two Thrones how they used "Stand Alone" from Godsmack.Smile I can find those at Gamestop right, not have to search on ebay?Smile
"Stand Alone" was in Warrior Within, not The Two Thrones. But, yeah, it's the game's theme song. It's also played periodically in certain "chase" portions of the game (but I'll leave you to ponder what that means...).

And, yeah, you could probably find them used at GameStop.
Back to top Go down
Regenerator
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
Regenerator

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 7:00 pm

I always see them games at a gamestop so maybe you could get a copy there instead of ebay
Back to top Go down
duralumin
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
duralumin

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 pm

I think you've got a pretty good point Ghost L. Just not the same amount of excitement for me anymore with new releases. RE5 seems great, but for somebody like me who still has only the GC and PS2, I'll have to wait a little bit, and that doesn't really bother me. I can remember a time ten years back when I drove around town just trying to find a copy of MGS1 for my PS1 (that was a great time...I was playing SH1, RE2, and MGS1 simultaneously). In a time when people have almost all but forgotten Lara Croft, well, just isn't the same anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.independenceproductions.gobot.com
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:

as far as longing for past games, well thats just nostalgia, in other words it had good memories. When last gen came out, I missed old games like Mario 64, Zelda, and the past RE games. Same for now, I miss game experiences like the remake, Re4 (fucking bandwagoners) Mgs 2 and 3, and so on and so forth.

I agree with what you said Indiana, at the time of the previous generation, I had missed all the good times with previous games, and after time I was able to make new memories, some have already done that for me for this gen, Smash Bros Brawl, RE4 Wii Edition, Umbrella Chronicles, Quantum Of Solace...Smile
Back to top Go down
charlieRE2
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
charlieRE2

Playstation Network The Beret

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 5:06 pm

yeah i agree in some ways with what your saying but what someone else may consider a golden age of gaming someone else might not. i do not enjoy gaming as much as i used too, i mean resident evil is bulit in to me. it caught me as a child and wont ever leave. i have never been as excited for a game as when i was waiting for resident evil 2.
Back to top Go down
PublicEnemy
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
PublicEnemy

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 2:10 pm

perhaps we might think if its the golden age of games whos dead,or OUR golden age...what i mean if you will never get the same feeling (on the same game)at 10years old or 28 years old...

but at all for me,no, the golden age of the video games has only begun.
and well i enjoy games more and more every days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?   The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over? Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Golden Age" of gaming ~ Is it over?
Page 1 of 1