Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
The God Delusion EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
The God Delusion EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
The God Delusion EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
The God Delusion EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
The God Delusion EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
The God Delusion EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
The God Delusion EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

The God Delusion

Go down 
+7
chocotricks
PAULSAMSON
Methsia
00biohazard
Sargent D
Spike991
NiteKrawler
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

Playstation Network NiteKrawler

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I am currently in the middle of reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and it is an absolutely great read. I think this book is something everyone should read, religious and secular alike. It has definitely reinforced my atheistic beliefs in a great way. Dawkins is a pure genius. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 11:45 pm

NiteKrawler wrote:
I am currently in the middle of reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and it is an absolutely great read. I think this book is something everyone should read, religious and secular alike. It has definitely reinforced my atheistic beliefs in a great way. Dawkins is a pure genius. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Ummmm, I thought you were on vacation, buddy?
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 am

I just got back yesterday n00b.
Back to top Go down
Sargent D
Government Official
Government Official
Sargent D

Playstation Network Demented_Warfare
Steam : Eldritch Enigma

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 am

I heard a lot of great things about that book, is it a recent book?
Back to top Go down
https://www.exophase.com/user/Mind%20Astray/
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 am

God exists. Perhaps hes not what is depicted in any religious sacred books or churches, but it would be the height of human arrogance to believe without question, that there is no superior entity to us. That in itself is a belief, which is as ridiculous as any of the whackjob religious nuts combined.
Back to top Go down
Methsia
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
Methsia

Steam : Mez

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:49 am

What if I am a superior entity.
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:55 am

00biohazard wrote:
God exists. Perhaps hes not what is depicted in any religious sacred books or churches, but it would be the height of human arrogance to believe without question, that there is no superior entity to us. That in itself is a belief, which is as ridiculous as any of the whackjob religious nuts combined.

The book was published in 2006 I believe. And Dawkins nor I believe 100% that God or some type of God does not exist. It cannot be proven. What we can do though, is look at statistical improbability and once we do that, we can safely say that God almost certainly does not exist. And for you to say simply that God exists is the same thing as saying he does not, which you lamented in your post. If you believe he exists, show us the evidence. But you can't. Also, God cannot exist in his Judaic/Christian form anyway. They believe that God is both omnipotent and omniscient. Those two ideals are completely incompatible. It is logically impossible for that to be true. If he is omnipotent, he can do anything. Anything. If he is omniscient, he know everything past, present and future. But if he knows exactly what is going to happen, he can't change it from happening. And if he can't change it from happening, he is not omnipotent. So, pick one.
Back to top Go down
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:26 pm

NiteKrawler wrote:
00biohazard wrote:

The book was published in 2006 I believe. And Dawkins nor I believe 100% that God or some type of God does not exist. It cannot be proven. What we can do though, is look at statistical improbability and once we do that, we can safely say that God almost certainly does not exist. And for you to say simply that God exists is the same thing as saying he does not, which you lamented in your post. If you believe he exists, show us the evidence. But you can't. Also, God cannot exist in his Judaic/Christian form anyway. They believe that God is both omnipotent and omniscient. Those two ideals are completely incompatible. It is logically impossible for that to be true. If he is omnipotent, he can do anything. Anything. If he is omniscient, he know everything past, present and future. But if he knows exactly what is going to happen, he can't change it from happening. And if he can't change it from happening, he is not omnipotent. So, pick one.

There are just some things that we will not comprehend, that we will not understand. There are somethings that our petty human science cannot even possibly begin to understand. And i think the entity that ties us all together and makes this crazy place called earth have some sort of purpose or even if it is a random mash up of lifeforms. I can´t give you evidence god exists, Im not as wise or all knowing to give you that, but I also cannot believe scientists and their ´theories´. God is something we will never understand, and I dont believe it is a being. I believe that god lives in us, is around us, and is the drive that gives life compatibility between ourselves. I think god thrives with love, and hurts with hate, because we thrive with love and hurt with hate. I know this sounds way too metaphysical, I can´t make sense of it in a scientific way, but i think you cant provide rationalization and proof to a thing as abstract and infinite as god. I mean with scientific theory and exploration we barely have technology exploring mars for christ sake. Science is too arrogant. We will never understand it. My honest opinion anyway. I haven´t read the book your talking about so I dare not debate you on it either.
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 1:34 pm

The "god" you are describing is basically the Einsteinian God. It is what many scientists, including Dawkins, refer to as God. But your logic of science not being able to explain everything will fail you in the sense that yes, science cannot explain everything. But, and this is very important, science has more and more evidence and truth piling up every day. The problem with theists is that they try to find things that science cannot yet explain and they instantly say "Science can't explain this! God is the only other possible answer!" And that is a terrible thing. Without science, we would not have the cures to horrible diseases, we wouldn't know anything about Earth or the cosmos, etc. In the end, religion is merely dangerous, obsolete, and so improbable that it is sad.
Back to top Go down
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:16 pm

NiteKrawler wrote:
The "god" you are describing is basically the Einsteinian God. It is what many scientists, including Dawkins, refer to as God. But your logic of science not being able to explain everything will fail you in the sense that yes, science cannot explain everything. But, and this is very important, science has more and more evidence and truth piling up every day. The problem with theists is that they try to find things that science cannot yet explain and they instantly say "Science can't explain this! God is the only other possible answer!" And that is a terrible thing. Without science, we would not have the cures to horrible diseases, we wouldn't know anything about Earth or the cosmos, etc. In the end, religion is merely dangerous, obsolete, and so improbable that it is sad.

Your absolutley right, science has given us wonderful things, and I think you misunderstand me when I say that science does not have the answer to everything, and it never could. I don´t assume that whatever we cannot explain is God´s doing, in fact, I´m against that. But sometimes, we kid ourselves in believing that if science can´t prove it, it doesn´t exist. There are somethings that science will never comprehend, period. I dont deny that science will evolve more and more each day, and go on to discover even more things, but that just proves the faulty scientific theories are sometimes.

There was a time when we thought the earth was round. But thats a whole different debate altogether. God is too complex and infinite to begin to comprehend, and I´m fine with that. But it´s just the height of human arrogance to assume that god doesn´t exist. That is a belief in itself. And as you said, that goes both ways, assuming that there is a god is exactly the same. But that´s my belief. Except that I accept that I could be wrong, and scientific facts and atheists tend to go down the same route as crazy churches telling people what to believe. Thats just my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sargent D
Government Official
Government Official
Sargent D

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Wait, isn't there a rule about religious arguments on this forum?
Back to top Go down
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Sargent D wrote:
Wait, isn't there a rule about religious arguments on this forum?

I´m not debating, I´m merely giving an opinion. In no way am I debating, nor have we fallen into insults. I´m neither a butthurt religious person nor scientific fact person.
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm

What kind of blasphemous rule would disallow religious argumentation?

Anyway, I don't want to generalize here, but it is much much much more common to find religious people who "know" 100% that God exists. Virtually any scientist will accept that they cannot prove he does not exist. To me (and Dawkins), atheism is the idea that God may exist, but it just just as probable that fairies live at the bottom of gardens.
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 12:58 am

Doesn't Tom Cruise worship aliens?
Back to top Go down
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

Playstation Network DARIOC2013

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:19 am

Spike991 wrote:
No, no no no...he worships a guy's story about aliens...even more stupid
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:21 am

PAULSAMSON wrote:
Spike991 wrote:
No, no no no...he worships a guy's story about aliens...even more stupid

Yeah, he's definately into some risky business.
Back to top Go down
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

Playstation Network DARIOC2013

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:21 am

I see what you did there
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 am

Well I don't want to get too into this debate myself...but my own opinion does lean a little bit more towards Nite's...just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
Methsia
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
Methsia

Steam : Mez

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 4:51 am

'God' image, I think, was both to control and distract.

I don't believe in god, but it certainly made Amish people happy, truthfull
humble and sincere.

All you need is a little happy, and you don't need god.

@Paul and Spike, I think you mean he believes in Scientology.
Back to top Go down
chocotricks
Hunter
Hunter
chocotricks

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 7:33 am

THE UNIVERSE IS TOO MASSIVE AND CONFUSING FOR MANKIND TO EVER FULLY UNDERSTAND I AM ALSO SPEAKING LOUDLY, BANANA!-
Back to top Go down
Jill Sandwich
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
Jill Sandwich

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:04 am

I'm not going to get involved with a debate about this topic. So all I'm going to say is this. I believe in God to the fullest and nothing or anyone will change my mind, let alone question myself about that. So you believe what you want to believe and I'll do the same Wink.
Back to top Go down
Sargent D
Government Official
Government Official
Sargent D

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 10:26 am

00biohazard wrote:
I´m neither a butthurt religious person
I hate those kind of people. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 10:40 am

Jill Sandwich wrote:
I'm not going to get involved with a debate about this topic. So all I'm going to say is this. I believe in God to the fullest and nothing or anyone will change my mind, let alone question myself about that. So you believe what you want to believe and I'll do the same Wink.

If you were brought up somewhere else in time or geography your quote would be "I'm not going to get involved with a debate about this topic. So all I'm going to say is this. I believe in (Allah/Zeus/Juju/Ahura Mazda/Shiva/Fairies/etc. etc.) to the fullest and nothing or anyone will change my mind, let alone question myself about that. So you believe what you want to believe and I'll do the same Wink." I implore you to question your own beliefs as much as possible. That is the only way we as people may grow.
Back to top Go down
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 am

If your godforsaken European ancestor pirates wouldnt have raped my lands and killed my people, and whitewashed them with the lies of the white jewish saviour, my country wouldnt worship the christian god in the first place. I believe in god, but not mankind´s definition of it. The rest, the church, the crusades, well, you just have to do a little reading on that dontcha? (in Forest Gump´s voice) and that´s all I´ve got to say about that.
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 am

00biohazard wrote:
If your godforsaken European ancestor pirates wouldnt have raped my lands and killed my people, and whitewashed them with the lies of the white jewish saviour, my country wouldnt worship the christian god in the first place. I believe in god, but not mankind´s definition of it. The rest, the church, the crusades, well, you just have to do a little reading on that dontcha? (in Forest Gump´s voice) and that´s all I´ve got to say about that.

Are you talking to me, or Jill? Trust me, I know about the Crusades.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The God Delusion Empty
PostSubject: Re: The God Delusion   The God Delusion Empty

Back to top Go down

The God Delusion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Others :: Off Topic-
Jump to: