HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?

Go down 
+11
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Wesker's Fanboy
00biohazard
PAULSAMSON
Mass Distraction
Vandal
Cyberization
Ghost Leader
Nobudy
NiteKrawler
Limey
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Limey
Zombie
Zombie

Playstation Network LimeyPolo
Steam : LimeyPolo

What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? Empty
PostSubject: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm

I was inspired by Ghost Leader's remark in a thread of, "I'm strictly anti-piracy", which I'm sure he'll clarify here! I must say, nevertheless, that I agree, except when a user is fairly testing a product as practically demo(strations), planning to either purchase the product or dismiss it as /inadequate/. To me, no matter how abstract the essence of code is, the labor costs and skill level mandate necessary profits and creative endeavors should not be purely open-source when the world is financially-oriented.

Why do people insist on 'copying' the 'copies' of a software is right when the ownership is CLEAR with development? Do they not respect the essence of intellectual properties regarding very specific innovations as protection of creative industries? As an analogy: we're not talking about a patent for a word which are indeed free as roots of reality as liberated from private ownership, we're talking about an intricate story, seeded from the focus of many investors.

Maybe people have a mindset as stealing from corporations is acceptable, but the principle does accumulate into noticeable effects and these do have negative effect somewhere, regardless of how victimless the consequences are.

Last edited by Limey on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

Playstation Network NiteKrawler

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 pm

I see nothing wrong with it.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Limey
Zombie
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:44 pm

NiteKrawler wrote:
I see nothing wrong with it.

Spoiler:
Image not working, bro...or was it removed for copyright? Razz

Note: One rule if you want to keep the quality of threads up: don't be a righteous douche if someone doesn't share your opinion!
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm Neutral. However I only recommend it as a last resort. If you can't buy it because it's not for sale anymore, go for it.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 3:11 am

^Would you recommend grand theft auto as a "last resort" to someone in need of a car?

There's not really anything I can clarify, I do not condone nor engage in piracy of copyrighted materials. It's theft no differently than if I walked into your living room and started packing up your stuff. Contrary to what people like these Anonymous clowns like to think, theft is a crime whether you're stealing from "evil" corporations or the penniless sax player on the street corner.

If the holder of the IP decided they wanted to distribute it free of charge, fair enough. But it's that person's property to do with as they please. You think the movie, music, or video game industry would be here today if there was no form of IP protection? You think authors would write books if they couldn't retain legal ownership of their writings? I like to write and I can tell you I'd be royally pissed if someone stole my work and/or profited off it.

I seem to recall a story a while back where a woman downloaded and distributed close to 5,000 songs to people through social media and ended up getting slapped with a fine of well over $1,000,000, though I can't recall her name and a search turns up nothing. Tell me, would you rather pay that or $13.00 for a CD?
Back to top Go down
Cyberization
Zombie
Zombie
Cyberization

Playstation Network MrOutside-

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 5:57 am

The only time I would ever pirate something, is if there's an album or EP released by a producer/band/DJ that's no longer in print and is unavailable to download legally. I've done this quite a few times, as some of the artists I listen to typically don't release their music on physical copies to begin with.

Anything else though - music not falling under the above criteria, and obviously games/movies/software..... yeah, I wouldn't pirate that shit. It's just common courtesy to the artist.
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am

Picture is working for me.

Limey wrote:

Note: One rule if you want to keep the quality of threads up: don't be a righteous douche if someone doesn't share your opinion!

Was this aimed at me? Was I being a righteous douche? What is a righteous douche?
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 am

NiteKrawler wrote:
It's not for me, either.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Limey
Zombie
Zombie

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 am

NiteKrawler wrote:

Limey wrote:

Was this aimed at me? Was I being a righteous douche? What is a righteous douche?
Nope, bro, that wasn't - sorry for any misunderstanding.

Ghost Leader, that reminds me of, y'know, that advert: "Would you steal a car?, which seems a little extreme in practice, but I can definitely see the general idea as it does take money. Smile
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Limey wrote:
NiteKrawler wrote:

Limey wrote:

Nope, bro, that wasn't - sorry for any misunderstanding.

Ghost Leader, that reminds me of, y'know, that advert: "Would you steal a car?, which seems a little extreme in practice, but I can definitely see the general idea as it does take money. Smile

If I steal $1 from you it is still stealing from you; verses if I steal $100 from you. Either way, the act is the same, no matter the value.
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
^Would you recommend grand theft auto as a "last resort" to someone in need of a car?

There's not really anything I can clarify, I do not condone nor engage in piracy of copyrighted materials. It's theft no differently than if I walked into your living room and started packing up your stuff. Contrary to what people like these Anonymous clowns like to think, theft is a crime whether you're stealing from "evil" corporations or the penniless sax player on the street corner.

If the holder of the IP decided they wanted to distribute it free of charge, fair enough. But it's that person's property to do with as they please. You think the movie, music, or video game industry would be here today if there was no form of IP protection? You think authors would write books if they couldn't retain legal ownership of their writings? I like to write and I can tell you I'd be royally pissed if someone stole my work and/or profited off it.

I seem to recall a story a while back where a woman downloaded and distributed close to 5,000 songs to people through social media and ended up getting slapped with a fine of well over $1,000,000, though I can't recall her name and a search turns up nothing. Tell me, would you rather pay that or $13.00 for a CD?
No I wouldn't. That's on a different scale. If I were to own a company of my own, as long as I'm still getting some kind of profit, the piracy wouldn't matter too much for me. But one thing, what if it's not available for purchase?

I'll be honest. I'm only 17, but that doesn't mean that I understand every bit of the world as it is today. I have a job of my own, and if I ever do torrent, I experiment. If I like it, then I buy it. It's the very reason I torrented GTA IV and THEN bought it via steam. Instead of paying for it digitally (Sold out on physical) and not being able to get a refund. I gave it a test trial first.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 am

I've got hundreds roms of old games that are next to impossible get anyway. Yes, yes, it's a crime but if I want to play a NES game that doesn't cost me 100€ then I'll have to just download it. Trust me, anything older than a PS1 and anything less popular than a PS2 here are ridiculously pricy. Even the most common NES games are at least 20€ used. Then again, whether I bought those used or just downloaded them would make just about zero bucks to the companies that made them anyway. Modern games (PS1 onwards) I always buy, new and used.

Then there are anime and some foreign movies. Trying to get those here is, well, practically impossible. I buy a DVD box of a series that interests me if I see one. The chances of actually seeing one, though...

As for music, I rarely even listen to any commercial music on my off time anymore. As for regular movies, I download them if I'm not sure I'd like them. If I do, I buy them. I have quite a massive VHS/DVD collection.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

Playstation Network DARIOC2013

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:59 am

I have a pirated 360, wii, ps2, ds, psp. and an original ps3..., the reason: IMPORTS ARE FUCKING EXPENSIVE!!!!...

since movies music are released here their prices aren't as high as imported stuff, so when it comes to buying that kind of media i buy them.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Nobudy wrote:
No I wouldn't. That's on a different scale.
Theft is theft. Scale is irrelevant.

Quote :
If I were to own a company of my own, as long as I'm still getting some kind of profit, the piracy wouldn't matter too much for me.
And your passiveness would encourage more and more people to steal from you because they'd know you won't pursue the matter. Before long, you're losing money instead of making profit and your company goes bankrupt. What happens then?

Quote :
But one thing, what if it's not available for purchase?
Studibaker automobiles are rare and exceedingly expensive. Does that mean it's okay to steal one from someone else?

Quote :
I'll be honest. I'm only 17, but that doesn't mean that I understand every bit of the world as it is today. I have a job of my own, and if I ever do torrent, I experiment. If I like it, then I buy it. It's the very reason I torrented GTA IV and THEN bought it via steam. Instead of paying for it digitally (Sold out on physical) and not being able to get a refund. I gave it a test trial first.
You're one of a tiny number of individuals that follow such a model. The majority won't bother buying it even if they do like it.

Like I said, theft is theft. Doesn't matter if it's just a "test trial". I'm not condemning or judging you, I'm just stating cold, hard facts. A prosecutor in a courtroom isn't going to give a damn either way, you'd just be another criminal to slap a ginormous fine or jail time on.
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Warning: controversy imminent. I would never pirate anything if I had the money to buy it. But because of the republican fueled inequality in the distribution of our nation's wealth, I don't have the money. I barely have enough money to live comfortably. Meanwhile, most of the people who are being pirated from (huge film stars and musicians) are wallpapering their houses with money because they have so much they don't know what to do with it. That being said, I don't pirate anything. Haven't for a very long time. The way I see it, it is wrong to do it, but I honestly don't care. If someone gets in trouble for it, I won't have pity. They broke the law. Unless of course they pirated a loaf of bread to feed their starving child.
Back to top Go down
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 3:45 pm

PAULSAMSON wrote:
I have a pirated 360, wii, ps2, ds, psp. and an original ps3..., the reason: IMPORTS ARE FUCKING EXPENSIVE!!!!...

since movies music are released here their prices aren't as high as imported stuff, so when it comes to buying that kind of media i buy them.

90% of my games, are pirated. Not by me, but I buy them pirated. Don't have the money for originals. Don't care what anyone else says MUTHAFUCKAAAAS
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
Quote :
Studibaker automobiles are rare and exceedingly expensive. Does that mean it's okay to steal one from someone else?
At least by pirating you are not taking that product away from the person who owns it. I guess the equivalent to this in the car industry is that you build a Stubaker replica yourself and sell or give it away as the real thing.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 5:48 pm

NiteKrawler wrote:
But because of the republican fueled inequality in the distribution of our nation's wealth, I don't have the money.
I'm a Republican. Explain to me why I'm not rolling in Benjamins and driving a solid gold Ferrari right now. Rolling Eyes

Mass Distraction wrote:
At least by pirating you are not taking that product away from the person who owns it.
Actually, you are. Capcom owns Resident Evil, Hideo Kojima owns Metal Gear Solid, Katy Perry owns her song "California Gurl", Marvel owns Iron Man, DC owns Batman, etc.. It's legal ownership regardless of the form of the product and stealing that product, regardless of form, is theft.

Strictly speaking, just drawing a picture of a superhero is technically copyright infringement and therefor illegal, but most people are going to realize that no jury would ever make such a conviction because of the sheer lunacy behind the mere thought of pursuing it.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
At least by pirating you are not taking that product away from the person who owns it.
Actually, you are. Capcom owns Resident Evil, Hideo Kojima owns Metal Gear Solid, Katy Perry owns her song "California Gurl", Marvel owns Iron Man, DC owns Batman, etc.. It's legal ownership regardless of the form of the product and stealing that product, regardless of form, is theft.
Well, yes, theft but I meant like the difference between a physical, tangible object versus a digital copy of something existing only as data on a hard drive. I wasn't questioning the legality of the matter.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:
Quote :
At least by pirating you are not taking that product away from the person who owns it. I guess the equivalent to this in the car industry is that you build a Stubaker replica yourself and sell or give it away as the real thing.
Or what's more likely to happen; someone steals it from a dealership.
Back to top Go down
Wesker's Fanboy
Cerberus
Cerberus
Wesker's Fanboy

Playstation Network Yonwyn

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Well, since I've pirated a lot of stuff, I can't really say anything bad about it. My belief is that if you put something out there, be it a game, movie, music, etc, don't expect people to not try to pirate it.

Like some people have said, pirating is a good way to test if a product is good or not. If something's truly good, I'll buy it to support the company, if not, well, they should do better next time.

A game that I've always wanted, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, is impossible to find in any store and costs half of your soul to buy it online. I pirated a copy of the game (the company has long since gone under) and I'm not complaining.

Also, I've pirated the majority of my EA stuff. I absolutely refuse to give into EA's money grubbery. I remember the days when a Sims base game cost only about $40, while expansion packs only cost $20 and stuff packs cost $15. Now, expansions cost upwards of $30 and stuff packs $20. It's completely ridiculous and I refuse to support such behavior.

If my unapologetic opinion harms my good standing with certain people, then I'm sorry.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 2:35 am

Come to think of it, I buy most of my stuff used. In the end it really doesn't even matter for the company as my money rarely even reaches them Razz
Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros
NiteKrawler

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:57 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
NiteKrawler wrote:
But because of the republican fueled inequality in the distribution of our nation's wealth, I don't have the money.
I'm a Republican. Explain to me why I'm not rolling in Benjamins and driving a solid gold Ferrari right now. Rolling Eyes

I never said that any republican was rich. Merely that they support an ideal which makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 am

Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
I remember the days when a Sims base game cost only about $40, while expansion packs only cost $20 and stuff packs cost $15. Now, expansions cost upwards of $30 and stuff packs $20. It's completely ridiculous and I refuse to support such behavior.
Such price increases are one of the side effects of piracy.
Back to top Go down
Wesker's Fanboy
Cerberus
Cerberus
Wesker's Fanboy

Playstation Network Yonwyn

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 6:14 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
Wesker's Fanboy wrote:
I remember the days when a Sims base game cost only about $40, while expansion packs only cost $20 and stuff packs cost $15. Now, expansions cost upwards of $30 and stuff packs $20. It's completely ridiculous and I refuse to support such behavior.
Such price increases are one of the side effects of piracy.

I don't really think that's the case. EA's been doing it for just about any game they create, then churning out a lot of DLCs for them at astronomical prices. Even for my Sims 3 game for PS3, they have custom content for sale. I remember the days when EA made free to download custom content..

Mostly all that EA is to try to make a buck out of anything. And let's not mention what they actually do to game series that were once great *cough* Dragon Age *cough*.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?   What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are your opinions on piracy, very controversial online?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next