HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!

Go down 
+18
Known_Hero
Ghost Leader
Bub537
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Paperface*
JPHERO
00biohazard
weskersbarber
Voltius
chrisredfielmusculo
rawk82
Vandal
The CG
Mass Distraction
Spike991
DXP
The mastAH!
ChrisSherry
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Industrial Ridden
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Industrial Ridden

Playstation Network Jagerdu

Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 4:58 pm

It's breaking records because it appeals to COD fanboys, and action shooter players. If t was horror, it won't be that popular.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:13 pm

Industrial Ridden wrote:
It's breaking records because it appeals to COD fanboys, and action shooter players. If t was horror, it won't be that popular.
Well, the truth is that it didn't end up selling as well as they were expecting. It fell under those sales expectations pretty badly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Cyberization
Zombie
Zombie
Cyberization

Playstation Network MrOutside-

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
Industrial Ridden wrote:
Well, the truth is that it didn't end up selling as well as they were expecting. It fell under those sales expectations pretty badly.

It had sold 4.8 million by February, and that wasn't enough for them. I hate the gaming industry of today. Publishers have such ridiculously unrealistic expectations for their products compared to previous gens.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Cyberization wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
Industrial Ridden wrote:

It had sold 4.8 million by February, and that wasn't enough for them. I hate the gaming industry of today. Publishers have such ridiculously unrealistic expectations for their products compared to previous gens.
It's not any one individual or entity, it's a combination of factors. First and foremost, the financial state of the world today is leading to gamers taking less risks with unfamiliar games. Because gamers take less risks, only the near-guaranteed fun experience (like CoD and Gears of War, for example, although I dislike those games personally) will sell well. The gaming industry looks at these numbers and interprets it as "this is what they want", so they make clones of said games to appeal to that demographic. Gamers then go on and, again, buy more games that are the near-guaranteed fun experience. Ad infinitum.

At the end of the day, the gaming industry is a business just like any other and they have to make games people will buy to stay afloat. Due to most people not having the funds to take risks on unfamiliar games or genres, they make games that adhere to the "best-selling" demographic. Back in the day, games like the new Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal would have been guaranteed purchases for me in addition to the usuals (GTA, Uncharted, WWE, etc.). Today, I don't have the money for those second-tier purchases.

It's simple economics. Sad economics for gamers, but simple nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Cyberization
Zombie
Zombie
Cyberization

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 5:28 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
Cyberization wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
Industrial Ridden wrote:

It's not any one individual or entity, it's a combination of factors. First and foremost, the financial state of the world today is leading to gamers taking less risks with unfamiliar games. Because gamers take less risks, only the near-guaranteed fun experience (like CoD and Gears of War, for example, although I dislike those games personally) will sell well. The gaming industry looks at these numbers and interprets it as "this is what they want", so they make clones of said games to appeal to that demographic. Gamers then go on and, again, buy more games that are the near-guaranteed fun experience. Ad infinitum.

It's simple economics. Sad economics for gamers, but simple nonetheless.

I'm acutely aware that gaming is a business. Doesn't mean I have to like it Laughing But yeah, you're completely right, of course. Another factor you didn't mention though is the spiralling cost of actually developing games now. I heard the new BioShock had a budget of $200 million? I mean, come on. For a video game? That's higher than most movies. It's absurd.

When you say "sell well" though, I think it's important to note that the goalposts have shifted drastically when it comes to sales expectations. Mostly due to the stuff you mentioned. I was just reading the other day how the new Tomb Raider game is the highest-selling in the franchise so far (going by first month sales I think), 3.6 million or something? At the start of this gen that would have been more than acceptable. Now Square Enix are calling it a failure. And that game is awesome. The whole situation just sucks. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 am

Cyberization wrote:
But yeah, you're completely right, of course.
Did you expect anything less? I'm always right, even when I'm wrong. lol!
Back to top Go down
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 6:22 am

Cyberization wrote:
I heard the new BioShock had a budget of $200 million? I mean, come on. For a video game? That's higher than most movies. It's absurd.

Where the hell did you read that? ? ? Its nonsense, theres no way that game could cost that much . . . Im not much into bishock, does it have Leonardo De Cruise or Brad Clooney kind of cast? Even if so and Bioshock has mega Hollywood actors doing voice overs, 200 mils is still too much and as for game development, even the greatest games with impossible graphics, mocap and all the 21century gadgets cost much much much less . . . with budget of 5/10 mils you can make a brilliant game! only mega star cast can increase amount of numbers, but not that high . . .
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 6:25 am

The cost of Bioshock Infinite has been misinformation: [link]

For reference, here's a list of the most expensive games thus far: [link]

Last edited by Mass Distraction on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Cyberization
Zombie
Zombie
Cyberization

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 6:27 am

Yeah Mass, I just looked it up and was about to post that. I'd heard $100 million for the game and $100 million for advertising, which would still have been utterly depraved. I'm glad it's not true Laughing

Apologies for the misdirection!
Back to top Go down
Limey
Zombie
Zombie

Playstation Network LimeyPolo
Steam : LimeyPolo

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
The cost of Bioshock Infinite has been misinformation: [link]

For reference, here's a list of the most expensive games thus far: [link]
Wow, Final Fantasy seems to be the most expensive franchise.

I do have a secret desire for RE6 to fail financially, really, and them to perhaps change the action-oriented course, but I do have a concern it may compel them to either stop the series or reboot it into a worst state.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Limey wrote:
I do have a secret desire for RE6 to fail financially, really, and them to perhaps change the action-oriented course, but I do have a concern it may compel them to either stop the series or reboot it into a worst state.
I find the Eastern Roman Empire to be a proper metaphor here.

I'd rather see it go down proudly in fire and steel as the grand titan that it is, instead of watch it weaken until it crumbles into nothingness.
Back to top Go down
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Cyberization wrote:
Yeah Mass, I just looked it up and was about to post that. I'd heard $100 million for the game and $100 million for advertising, which would still have been utterly depraved. I'm glad it's not true Laughing

Yea, but still i think that spending 100 mil on game development is way over the line, i mean actual production (i mean making, programing) of game would take up 10 mils max. . .
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 2:11 pm

ChrisRedfieldRE156 wrote:
Cyberization wrote:

Yea, but still i think that spending 100 mil on game development is way over the line, i mean actual production (i mean making, programing) of game would take up 10 mils max. . .
It takes up a lot more than people think. Plus there's also crew paychecks, PR, and a little known thing called slotting fees---distributors have to pay retailers to carry their products. That's where the bulk of their profit comes from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slotting_fee
Back to top Go down
Limey
Zombie
Zombie

Playstation Network LimeyPolo
Steam : LimeyPolo

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
Limey wrote:
I find the Eastern Roman Empire to be a proper metaphor here.

I'd rather see it go down proudly in fire and steel as the grand titan that it is, instead of watch it weaken until it crumbles into nothingness.
Coup de Grace! Smile My hope is that whatever the outcome, it inspires eventually, perhaps even a direct homage, and that's where the Roman Empire and Brilliantine Empire are brilliant: They're the pillars of the modern era in many respects.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 am

^"Brilliantine" Empire? Is that an intentional spelling corruption or a typo? I'm pretty sure the proper (albeit historically incorrect) moniker for the post-330 AD ERE is Byzantine Empire.

In other news...

http://www.fmvmagazine.com/?p=16196

Semi-related to the topic, discussing how the disappointing sales performances of RE6 and Dead Space 3 are proof that trying to attract the CoD audience is going to turn out bad for developers. Good read.
Back to top Go down
Cyberization
Zombie
Zombie
Cyberization

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
^"Brilliantine" Empire? Is that an intentional spelling corruption or a typo? I'm pretty sure the proper (albeit historically incorrect) moniker for the post-330 AD ERE is Byzantine Empire.

In other news...

http://www.fmvmagazine.com/?p=16196

Semi-related to the topic, discussing how the disappointing sales performances of RE6 and Dead Space 3 are proof that trying to attract the CoD audience is going to turn out bad for developers. Good read.

Nice article. I agree with everything said in it; I think a few years ago, once we started seeing sequels changing to suit the casual market (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space, Splinter Cell etc), a lot of us knew this would happen sooner or later. All that remains to be seen is whether or not publishers will catch on, realise they're chasing a ghost, and go back to giving us unique and innovative experiences. Or if they'll continue banging their heads against the wall, sticking to their stubborn "Microtransactions and easy mode gameplay is the way forward" mindset, and drag the rest of us down with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!   Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom records!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3