Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Social media is a poison EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Social media is a poison EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Social media is a poison EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Social media is a poison EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Social media is a poison EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Social media is a poison EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Social media is a poison EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Social media is a poison EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Social media is a poison EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Social media is a poison

Go down 
+3
PWNERX
Aegis
Ghost Leader
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

Social media is a poison Empty
PostSubject: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm sure you're all familiar with Justine Sacco, the PR rep who recently lost her job after tweeting a tasteless but otherwise harmless joke on Twitter and has since become a social pariah. There's also Adria Richards, who harmlessly called out a co-worker over Twitter for what she felt to be a sexist joke only for people to respond by making death threats and leaking her personal details to the public. Then there was Alicia Ann Lynch whose dressing as a Boston marathon bombing victim (admittedly tasteless and insensitive, yes, but like Justine Sacco's joke, utterly harmless) got her fired from her job, harassed by phone, her personal details leaked to the public, and even nude pics of her spread online.

These women aren't the only ones, there are probably countless others (of both genders) who are probably happy I don't remember their names. The shit that an individual will say to people over the Internet would, if done in person, most often get one arrested and put in jail. I'm all for so-called "Internet freedom" and free speech, but isn't this getting out of hand? Last I checked, free speech doesn't encompass harassment or jeopardizing people's lives over something as trivial and physically harmless as a tasteless joke and people who take part in such cruelty really should be held accountable for their actions, but unfortunately people such as Ms. Sacco aren't "important" enough to warrant the effort.
Back to top Go down
Aegis
Zombie
Zombie
Aegis

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Actually it is illegal to harrass someone over the Internet, if it is done maliciously. Basically, if you would get in trouble for doing it face to face, you will get in trouble for doing it online. It is just harder to get caught online. And the principle of anonymity makes it very easy to harrass people online. Just ask Call of Duty.
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

Playstation Network PWNER-XIII
Steam : pwner_xiii

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Ah. Call of Dooty, that playable crap that isn't much different than it's own billion predecessors, and where kids are ALWAYS annoying. Always.
Back to top Go down
http://Isacwill_96@yahoo.com
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Aegis wrote:
Actually it is illegal to harrass someone over the Internet, if it is done maliciously. Basically, if you would get in trouble for doing it face to face, you will get in trouble for doing it online. It is just harder to get caught online. And the principle of anonymity makes it very easy to harrass people online. Just ask Call of Duty.
I don't deny it's illegal and, as I said, these cyber bullies need to be held accountable, regardless of whether it's done in person or through the Internet. But the thing is, the majority of us (like Justine Sacco) just aren't "important" enough to warrant the effort by the legal system. What if it was, say, Michelle Obama that was subject to such treatment (not trying to start any political discussion, that's just a name off the top of my head), what then? I'll tell you what, an FBI tactical team with assault rifles would be battering the cyber bully's front door down and hauling them off in handcuffs.
Back to top Go down
Aegis
Zombie
Zombie
Aegis

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 7:21 pm

True. But the same can often be said of real life harassment situations as well, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
ZombiePrincess
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ZombiePrincess

Playstation Network MisfitSilentts

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 8:41 pm

A woman my step-mother works with just got fired for making a comment about a customer on her own private Facebook page. She never mentioned the customer's name or anything, but they fired her anyways.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKidsInYourCorner
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 10:55 pm

A lot of this crap could be avoided if people would just get it through their heads that they don't need to share everything about their lives with the Internet.
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

Playstation Network PWNER-XIII
Steam : pwner_xiii

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 am

**JUST ATE SAMMICH**

Nah, 'm just playing off this thread situation...thing.
Back to top Go down
http://Isacwill_96@yahoo.com
RebelliousQueen
Government Official
Government Official
RebelliousQueen

Playstation Network Soulful-Decoder8
Steam : Missy Claire Gaming

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Cyber bulliers are immatures. The answer is; be mature, be open-minded, and move on. That's it. You really don't have to go that far. I mean this people we're joking. But truly they are just trying to be a macho man in the internet world. But sad to say, people are so sensitive and butt-hurted that's why they had to arrest and fire you only to this.
Back to top Go down
https://residentevilforums.forumotion.com
will1234562
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
will1234562

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 4:24 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
A lot of this crap could be avoided if people would just get it through their heads that they don't need to share everything about their lives with the Internet.
Indeed.
RebelliousQueen wrote:
I mean this people we're joking.
Joking? Gee,I don't know - comments like "You should kill yourself" don't seem like a joke to me.
There was a case in my school a few weeks ago - a boy got into a fight with a girl (by fight I mean a physical fight) and the school decided to exclude him. Then the boy started threatening the girl through facebook. I don't think that she took that for a joke.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 8:14 am

will1234562 wrote:
RebelliousQueen wrote:
Joking? Gee,I don't know - comments like "You should kill yourself" don't seem like a joke to me.
No, they certainly aren't.
Back to top Go down
Mcghie
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
Mcghie

Steam : BioDeamz

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Ghost Leader wrote:
will1234562 wrote:
RebelliousQueen wrote:

I agree with the majority of your points.
It's just one of these things that can't be helped, I mean we could fight back but in the end if the law or your job want's you to pay the price then you will.
I agree as well, we should just stop posting stuff like this if we don't want repercussions, but then again that is us bending over backwards
and letting the law unlawfully walk over the top of you.
I really hate cyber bullying in all forms (unless it's just harmless trolling) but then again I can't understand the vulnerable people that
see to take the bait and do something silly over things said online, I mean they don't know the person saying it so they should just ignore or laugh it off.
If I where to hamr myself or get depressed about every single child over call of duty that said they "F**cked my mom" or wished cancer upon me for being better than I
would have went insane and or topped myself many years ago lol.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 3:33 am

Mcghie wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:
will1234562 wrote:
RebelliousQueen wrote:
I agree with the majority of your points.
It's just one of these things that can't be helped, I mean we could fight back but in the end if the law or your job want's you to pay the price then you will.
I agree as well, we should just stop posting stuff like this if we don't want repercussions, but then again that is us bending over backwards and letting the law unlawfully walk over the top of you.
Something that few people realize is that freedom of speech doesn't always fly when it comes the workplace. Aside from illegal reasons like race, gender, and religion, your employer is well within their rights to fire you for anything you do that they feel reflects badly upon the company as a whole, whether that be your posting habits on social media or whatever. But as I said earlier, it all leads back to the the fact that if people would just realize that much of this can be avoided if they didn't share their every inner thought with the Internet.
Back to top Go down
Mcghie
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
Mcghie

Steam : BioDeamz

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 am

Ghost Leader wrote:

Something that few people realize is that freedom of speech doesn't always fly when it comes the workplace. Aside from illegal reasons like race, gender, and religion, your employer is well within their rights to fire you for anything you do that they feel reflects badly upon the company as a whole, whether that be your posting habits on social media or whatever. But as I said earlier, it all leads back to the the fact that if people would just realize that much of this can be avoided if they didn't share their every inner thought with the Internet.

That's the good thing about workplaces in the UK, they can only really take action if their is any racism, sexism etc,
but only if it's towards a member of staff.
However over here by law you have to have shown that you work for the company or have openly promoted that you work for said company.
It's not as strict here, the only thing they really fire people over is if you're stupid enough to add your boss on FB and call in sick one day but then post your
out at the pub for a few pints, then they can take action upon that for gross misconduct and such.  
I agree fully, I have FB and don't tell the world every single move I make in life.
I don't see peoples mentality when it comes to posting everything, are they craving attention or do they think their useless info is getting them somewhere ?
I really can't begin to fathom such intricate mindsets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Social media is a poison   Social media is a poison Empty

Back to top Go down

Social media is a poison
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Others :: Off Topic-
Jump to: