HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it

Go down 
+14
Known_Hero
AWDCP
DXP
Mcghie
Vandal
Nobudy
RebelliousQueen
Ghost Leader
will1234562
White Rock
ChrisRedfieldRE156
PWNERX
Mass Distraction
TeRoR KiD
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TeRoR KiD
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
TeRoR KiD

Location : Standing over Nemesis' dead body with a cocked magnum in the left hand

Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it Empty
PostSubject: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 11:47 pm

First off I want to say what's up? to any of the users who remember me. I haven't posted in a long time because I didn't get into Revelations or RE6 and I'd pretty much exhausted any discussion I wanted to have with a RE community about the older games I love so much.

I came back to get some other people's opinions though since I'm sure the people here know what they're talking about when it comes to one the greatest video game franchises of all time.

I started playing RE in 1997 and immediately became a huge fan. The plot was shocking, the gameplay was superb (I probably finished RE1 somewhere between 10-20 times) and at the time the graphics were top notch. I progressed to loving and completing RE2, Code Veronica and even thoroughly enjoying Survivor. (and much later 0 and 3 once I got a chance to play them properly)

This topic did not spawn from any discussion I've read here. I decided to start this topic based on a youtube video I just watched about unreleased RE games which included footage of RE4 beta. I'm not naive and I understand how nonsensical some of the comments on youtube can be. However, there were a lot of posts from people saying they would've liked RE4 beta to have been the direction the series took instead of the final product.

The concept and videos for RE4 beta look enticing but do you think this unfinished product would've been a better direction for the franchise to take? Keep it scary by the means of supernatural creatures since zombies are overplayed and not really scary anymore?

While the final product that is RE4 is not my "favourite" release in the franchise I do believe it has the best replay value. I probably only feel this way because it withstands the test of time better than the older game and for the most part the game is just simply really good fun. Yeah I like to play fun games sometimes as well Razz . The main reason it lacks the survival element the earlier versions had is because there is an abundance of ammo on offer. While you do backtrack through the map occasionally for treasure or plot reasons it's not the same as back tracking in the older games.

To risk ranting any longer I'll get to the point of the thread. Resident Evil had a great run and I think most fans need to get over it.

Not many franchises have stood the test of time but RE had a good run with 2 or 3 classics and maybe 3 or 4 more great games.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 am

So what you are asking is, should the fans of the series just get over their love for the series and move on to other series? Uh... I'm not leaving the franchise?
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
TeRoR KiD
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
TeRoR KiD

Location : Standing over Nemesis' dead body with a cocked magnum in the left hand

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
So what you are asking is, should the fans of the series just get over their love for the series and move on to other series? Uh... I'm not leaving the franchise?

No. I never suggested fans should leave something they still love. If you still enjoy what is happening in the franchise i am envious of you.

This is about people who continue to complain about what could've happened and need to get over it.
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

Playstation Network PWNER-XIII
Steam : pwner_xiii

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 4:21 am

Actually, what could've happened can happen in a parallel spin-off series where the games follow the ".5" direction...
Back to top Go down
http://Isacwill_96@yahoo.com
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 4:25 am

TeRoR KiD wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:

No. I never suggested fans should leave something they still love. If you still enjoy what is happening in the franchise i am envious of you.

This is about people who continue to complain about what could've happened and need to get over it.
I misinterpreted your post then. In this case I do agree.
Back to top Go down
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 5:17 am

TeRoR KiD wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:

Well there always will be people like that. I agree thay should get over it, but doubt that they will, since there's, as we think, a Video game director in each and every one of us and we think that we really are good at it, so saying that If They Did So (for example releasing RE4 or 5 beta instead of 4 and 5) would have been much better, but you know that, even if it happened so there still would have been people complaining about that. Guess i will stick to the franchise, no matter what, cs i still like whats going on, but some people dont, its impossible to fit everyones taste and most of the gamers dont want to see that. . .
Back to top Go down
White Rock
User BANNED
User BANNED
White Rock

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 1:18 am

Yeah. I have noticed a lot of RE related boards just moan about the good old days, but unfortunately for many people, things change. I do think they are right when they say they need to go make them like they used to, but I believe they feel they need a 2000s or 2010s attitude or it to work.
Back to top Go down
will1234562
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
will1234562

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 6:40 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
TeRoR KiD wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:

I misinterpreted your post then. In this case I do agree.
Add me to list of people who agree.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 7:59 am

White Rock wrote:
Yeah. I have noticed a lot of RE related boards just moan about the good old days
Ever consider they do that for a reason? Not everyone, myself included, is happy with the current action shooter direction of the franchise and those people have as much a right to voice their views as those who feel different.
Back to top Go down
RebelliousQueen
Government Official
Government Official
RebelliousQueen

Playstation Network Soulful-Decoder8
Steam : Missy Claire Gaming

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm tired of this. You can't stop technology from rising. If other fans can accept the fact that from survival-horror to action-pack-survival horror; from dodges to melee attacks; from walking to running; from mansion to big cities, and many more. Then why just leave Resident Evil alone. That is the best way to move on.
Back to top Go down
https://residentevilforums.forumotion.com
Ghost Leader
Admin
Admin
Ghost Leader

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 pm

My problem is that there is no survival horror to it anymore, it's just straight up action shooter now because they think they can dip into the CoD, Gears of War, and Halo crowds when those crowds really have no interest whatsoever in anything without those names on the boxes.
Back to top Go down
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:28 pm

RebelliousQueen wrote:
I'm tired of this. You can't stop technology from rising. If other fans can accept the fact that from survival-horror to action-pack-survival horror; from dodges to melee attacks; from walking to running; from mansion to big cities, and many more. Then why just leave Resident Evil alone. That is the best way to move on.

Absolutely agree with you. Plus if old motion limits and camera presets are so missed, im pretty sure there will be remakes of old games. I think it would have looked funny, if RE had old gameplay and wanting to compete with other mega games. It would have turned into one of those indie games.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 5:37 pm

ChrisRedfieldRE156 wrote:
It would have turned into one of those indie games.
More like, it would have died and withered away. Forgotten, like Dino Crisis.
Back to top Go down
RebelliousQueen
Government Official
Government Official
RebelliousQueen

Playstation Network Soulful-Decoder8
Steam : Missy Claire Gaming

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 am

Ghost Leader wrote:
My problem is that there is no survival horror to it anymore, it's just straight up action shooter now because they think they can dip into the CoD, Gears of War, and Halo crowds when those crowds really have no interest whatsoever in anything without those names on the boxes.

Yes, Resident Evil nowadays are action pack. It was like you we're watching a hollywood film instead of playing the game. I don't find it horrific. And I'm not horrified anymore.

RebelliousQueen wrote:

Absolutely agree with you. Plus if old motion limits and camera presets are so missed, im pretty sure there will be remakes of old games. I think it would have looked funny, if RE had old gameplay and wanting to compete with other mega games. It would have turned into one of those indie games.

Why don't Capcom give it a shot sometime. I mean they remake an old series but still old controller settings, old gameplay tactics, and techniques. But more enhance graphics. But I as they say it is impossible. Wasn't it?
Back to top Go down
https://residentevilforums.forumotion.com
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 11:29 am

RebelliousQueen wrote:
Ghost Leader wrote:

Yes, Resident Evil nowadays are action pack. It was like you we're watching a hollywood film instead of playing the game. I don't find it horrific. And I'm not horrified anymore.

RebelliousQueen wrote:

Absolutely agree with you. Plus if old motion limits and  camera presets are so missed, im pretty sure there will be remakes of old games. I think it would have looked funny, if RE had old gameplay and wanting to compete with other mega games. It would have turned into one of those indie games.

Why don't Capcom give it a shot sometime. I mean they remake an old series but still old controller settings, old gameplay tactics, and techniques. But more enhance graphics. But I as they say it is impossible. Wasn't it?

Well they enhanced graphics with RE 1 and plus back then capcom didnt have new controls and over the shoulder view, this time if they do say RE2 remake, really doubt that it will be super, mega tuned up, it will be much like RE1 remake, with much enhanced graphics compared to original. But if they decide to go all the way and make a 3rd gen quality remake, i think it would be great if they let gamer to choose which kind of controls and camera setup he wants from game menu (or when the game starts). Its a very complex process for developers, but i guess it will satisfy both old and new gen gamers.
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 12:34 pm

I fully agree. Those of your that complain about the series so much should just stop buying the games. Good for you if you did stop, but those of you still hoping for a true survival horror game will continue to be disappointed.

Though I can see why the series went from Survival horror to Action shooter from an in-universe and out of universe perspective. These aren't the same inexperienced people from 1998. They do indeed get scared, but they at leased know how to better combat the threats. Expecting them to be the way they were 15 years ago is like expecting an expert of his/her field to just instantly become a rookie once again.

From an out of universe perspective, Capcom wanted sales, and they tried to go for what would give the biggest payout. These days, survival horror just isn't it.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 7:03 am

While that may be true, the fans don't expect for Capcom to release an action title called "Resident Evil," they expect Capcom to release a horror game called "Resident Evil." If you can't agree with fans who complain--because lets face it, no one is satasfied on the internet--then you can at least understand where they're coming from.

Even Capcom stated they would be releasing a true horror experience with Resident Evil 6, despite the trailers suggesting otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Mcghie
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
Mcghie

Steam : BioDeamz

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

I think it's pathetic and truly insulting to our intelligence when Capcom
turn around and try to say that they want to balance resident evil due to the fact that the
demographic of gaming has changed, yes a lot of casual and hardcore gamers alike go for FPS, action heavy titles but for the Capcom to turn the blame on the market it ridiclous.
The be all and end all of the matter is that Capcom has never really listened nor have they respected there well respected franchises along with fans.
They have became greedy and the only reason for Resident Evil being action heavy is so they can try and get the FPS fanboys buying their games and cash in heavy.
Peoples reaction to Amnesia, Outlast and the numerous other horror titles and indie horror titles
suggests and clearly shouts out that horror isn't dead and there is an equally sized number of gamers that crave a horror experience.
This is why it pisses me off when they put the blame on fans not wanting horror, that's just them pulling the wool over your eyes and taking from behind.
I do enjoy the new Resident Evil games (kind of) but Capcom need to stop chasing this dream of getting millions of units of sales and just make a well rounded horror title with action involved.
Resident Evil is known for horror and if they deliver horror then they will get the sales they dream of.
People wouldn't pick up a RE game if they know it's just going to be generic action (even new fans)
they will however pick it up if they are promised a real horror experience.
I mean if the general population of gamers didn't want horror games then these indie companies wouldn't be making so much downloads/sales of these titles, Amnesia would never have blew up and Pewdiepie would never have the amount of fanbase that he has.
He has something like 14/18 MILLIONS subs and they all tune in to watch him play a FPS title .... oh
wait no they don't, it's horror titles !
Capcom just need to wake up and try to come up with a better formulae or Resident Evil franchise will die off, not just as a survival horror but as a generic action title as well.

My points are a little over the place and this rant may not be delivered in the best grammatical sense.
Just home from work and can't keep my eyes open but hopefully you all get what I mean.

Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Very well said, the Capcom blaming the fans, bit.

Honestly though, they did promise horror throughout the entire game of Resident Evil 6, saying Leon was classic horror, Chris was more like the Alien movies in horror, and Jake had the horror of constantly being pursued. Where it's true that Leon had horror elements, Chris' team was picked off one by one, and Jake was indeed being chased, they forgot to add the horror.

Just because there's a zombie in front of Leon, does that make it scary? His campaign was more of the equivalent of a really bad halloween party, with cliche cob webs and black cats scampering about. They were just scary things that didn't have any affect on anyone. I think Conan O'Brian said it best in his review of the game: "These aren't zombies, they're pinátas." They didn't pose an actual threat the entire game, and the number of zombies made Dead Rising on the Wii laugh.

I'm just disappointed that the fans were so hyped that Capcom finally brought zombies back and failed to deliver the experience that went with it.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 12:37 am

Mcghie wrote:
Peoples reaction to Amnesia, Outlast and the numerous other horror titles and indie horror titles
suggests and clearly shouts out that horror isn't dead and there is an equally sized number of gamers that crave a horror experience.

I do want to point out that those games are like 1/3 of the price of an AAA title. The same market doesn't necessarily translate from the indie market to the main market. Plus, so many people (including me) get those indie horror games during a Steam sale when they're like 2 bucks each. We'll see more on big budget horror sales when Evil Within releases. As for Let's Players, that's just it. Some people rather watch other people play scary games than play those themselves. This only means money for the person they are watching, not the companies who made the games. Plus, Capcom saw that the more they focused on action, the more money they got. Well, up until ORC and RE6, that is, which has now resulted in them reassessing their plans for the next title. Hopefully they don't screw it up.

Now, I'm not trying to defend anyone here, so don't take this as such. I'm merely trying to state the facts.
Back to top Go down
DXP
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
DXP

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 12:40 am

Remember when Hiroyuki Kobayashi said the relationship between Capcom and its fans is like a child and its parent not agreeing on something? Yeah....it is like that and with good reason.

Do we need to get over it? at this precise moment its evident Capcom don't give a damn about the franchise and only its fans give a damn about it, For me RE6 just didn't know what to do with itself was it horror, action a bit of both? They have no idea as to where they want the game to go next which never is a good thing. For now i'm sticking to the classics when Capcom knew what to do and not the modern if we keep making the game the same as re4 but add more action it will sell Capcom....

They blame us for the games downfall...yet we are the ones that on every occasion have stated what makes a biohazard game a biohazard game and all they do is ignore us because we aren't important....biggest mistake ever.

I really wish that Mikami does what Keiji Inafune did and makes a Biohazard clone just to continue the original game play and made by Platinum would be an epic game in itself.
Back to top Go down
ChrisRedfieldRE156
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
ChrisRedfieldRE156

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 1:07 am

Vandal wrote:
Very well said, the Capcom blaming the fans, bit.

Honestly though, they did promise horror throughout the entire game of Resident Evil 6, saying Leon was classic horror, Chris was more like the Alien movies in horror, and Jake had the horror of constantly being pursued. Where it's true that Leon had horror elements, Chris' team was picked off one by one, and Jake was indeed being chased, they forgot to add the horror.

Just because there's a zombie in front of Leon, does that make it scary? His campaign was more of the equivalent of a really bad halloween party, with cliche cob webs and black cats scampering about. They were just scary things that didn't have any affect on anyone. I think Conan O'Brian said it best in his review of the game: "These aren't zombies, they're pinátas." They didn't pose an actual threat the entire game, and the number of zombies made Dead Rising on the Wii laugh.

I'm just disappointed that the fans were so hyped that Capcom finally brought zombies back and failed to deliver the experience that went with it.

Well zombies pretty much always were pinatas in RE, the difference was due to the controls that gave you more freedom to deal with them and to compare it to realism, Romero type zombies are easy to deal with when there are only couple of them, what Leons story actually missed were "numbers", the place was supposed to be infested with the undead, when there were only couple of horde attacks per each mission (entire city went down in China, but it still was walk in the park, rather then city filled with zombies)
But despite that it still had a scent of an old school horror game, cant say that it was a waste all the way through. (i dig it)
The problem with RE 6 was that it was either rushed or too enormous, so that small details went without deserved attention. It had all those promised elements, but they were not taken to perfection.

@Mcghie: As for capcom blaming fans. They dont blame fans and RE fans in particular, they base their statements on the fact that entire gaming market has changed since RE 3 and they are trying to adapt with it. Yes RE would have extincted, if they remained their camera presets and motion limits. Capcom is trying to compete and find their spot among those mega Game titles, which set the fashion today and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. But yes they should remain the Horror. Is it that much impossible to find a good balance with action and horror? Game has everything it needs for the exception of being "blood freezing" and that's what they should pay their attention to, how to make a game that feels that good when you're playing it, to be scary and not to get back to what RE was 10+ years ago. Im not much of a Horror Survival fan, maybe thats why i dont know any of those games (though i've heard of Amnesia), but can you place them among such monsters as Assassins Creed, COD games, Battlefield etc? they still are indie games despite of having some sort of success.
Back to top Go down
PWNERX
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
PWNERX

Playstation Network PWNER-XIII
Steam : pwner_xiii

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 3:24 am

Well, here's to hoping they start closing plot holes soon. Those are the kinds of things that always piss me off.
Back to top Go down
http://Isacwill_96@yahoo.com
AWDCP
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
AWDCP

Playstation Network IceFireWarden
Steam : IceFireWarden

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 6:23 am

PWNERX wrote:
Well, here's to hoping they start closing plot holes soon. Those are the kinds of things that always piss me off.

Character plot holes are the worst. Where's Barry? Steve? Carlos?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AWeDontCareProduct/featured
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it EmptyTue Dec 17, 2013 7:08 am

DXP wrote:
Remember when Hiroyuki Kobayashi said the relationship between Capcom and its fans is like a child and its parent not agreeing on something? Yeah....it is like that and with good reason.

Do we need to get over it? at this precise moment its evident Capcom don't give a damn about the franchise and only its fans give a damn about it, For me RE6 just didn't know what to do with itself was it horror, action a bit of both? They have no idea as to where they want the game to go next which never is a good thing. For now i'm sticking to the classics when Capcom knew what to do and not the modern if we keep making the game the same as re4 but add more action it will sell Capcom....

They blame us for the games downfall...yet we are the ones that on every occasion have stated what makes a biohazard game a biohazard game and all they do is ignore us because we aren't important....biggest mistake ever.

I really wish that Mikami does what Keiji Inafune did and makes a Biohazard clone just to continue the original game play and made by Platinum would be an epic game in itself.
Well, for one I think The Evil Within is the answer to your last paragraph, and for the most part, I think the parental relationship metaphor is in a different light.

For the most part, yes, Capcom treats us like a bunch of kids, but not only that, they have favorites; they like the kids with a whole lot of money more than they like us, so they'll appeal to those kids rather than the kids who have been loyal and sticking with them from the beginning-- okay, this metaphor kind of just failed. At any rate, you get the gist. They're an parent who says "suck it up, you can enjoy this is Tommy enjoys this." and we're left with a toy that comes out ever several of years and has retard stains over it, but it's better than no toy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it   Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Resident Evil fans need to get over it
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next