Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

the Resident Evil Spin-offs

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

Playstation Network ThomVD

the Resident Evil Spin-offs Empty
PostSubject: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 am

I've played RE 0-5, REmake and CVX, so I haven't tried any of the spin-offs. Are they worth the money?
They don't get very high review scores, but I never cared about reviews. And what is the best spin-off?
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Oooooh boy, this is right up my alley. Ahem...

I would really recommend the spin-offs, just for the additional story. I don't care for the reviews as I've found every one of these pieces worth playing. Multiple times.

I'll start with the survivor series: Gun Survivor is worth the money just because being a canon entry in the series, the events being mentioned at the start of RE4 (Ark, the main character, is a friend of Leon's). Next up is Gun Survivor 2: Code Veronica, which is pretty much just a quick light gun recap of CV. Now, the final entry to the series (omitting Gun Survivor 3: Dino Stalker) Dead Aim is the masterpiece of these lightgunners. It has a totally creepy atmosphere, great new BOWs and likeable characters. The only thing I quite didn't like was the control scheme but I got used to it. The game pretty much looks like RE4 graphics wise but has a first person perspective when shooting. Oh, and you're also able to move while doing that.

Next up: the Outbreaks. Outbreak File#1 and #2 are a collective of chapters set within the Raccoon City during the original outbreak. They have 8 original characters and some cool cameos, you can visit familiar places with updated graphics and the game also lets you use improvised weapons as the ammo is REALLY scarce. Imust also mention that the characters have different traits, which makes playing as any of them a different experience (your team also varies according to which character you picked). Some people complain about the AI which isn't the brightest out there but I haven't found a problem with it aside from a few times I have had to wait for them. The loading time between rooms is excruciating in File#1 but this was fixed in #2. Each character has their own ending dialogue for every chapter and the game also features different endings so the game has lots of replay value. You'll also have side objectives and lots and LOTS of unlockables from skins to videos and hidden characters. In File#2 you can also move and shoot. Worth the money just for the amount of unlockables and replay possibilities.

The handheld games are a variable bunch.
  • Gaiden for the GameBoy is a top down rpg-like game featuring Barry and Leon as the main characters and a weird ass battle system. The game's ending deemed it uncanon but I still have my hopes up for the ending to be explained. This is a game you either love or hate. Rare, to say the least, but not that expensive. If I were you I'd check a few gameplay videos and judge for yourself.
  • Confidential Report for mobile systems is TOTALLY worth the download if you can find it. It features two new characters, RPD officer Tyler Hamilton and a FBI operative Naomi McClain. It is a tactical grid based game with a storyline set to discover the new MS-virus. If you like tactics games and original storyline I'd say get this one.
  • Genesis and Uprising (both on mobile) are worth mentioning as they retell the story of RE1 and 2 (respectively) in mobile format. Get them if your interest is high enough to try something like that. These games aren't the tactical kind, mind you.

For your question what is the best, I'd say Dead Aim, followed by Survivor and the Outbreaks.

Then there's Degeneration based on the movie for iPhone and N-Gage and iSurvivor for iPhone. Then there's a bunch more mobile games but they don't feature anything storywise.

Someone else should fill in with those two and the Chronicles games, as I don't have an iSomething nor a Wii.

If you want some more in-depth stuff and impressions on the games, here's a thread I made:
http://www.residentevilforums.net/t2342-spin-off-discussion?highlight=spin+off

Oh, one more thing: Whatever you do, stay the fuck away from Resident Evil: Missions.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks dude Very Happy
I will think about which ones I'll buy. I'm watching some gameplay on YT right now.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:00 pm

When you decide, tell me what your choices were.

I'd say, for the best experience, get the first and last Survivor (last being Dead Aim) and the Outbreaks.

The Chronicles are also recommended, but I don't have any experience from them.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:07 pm

I can't get the Chronicles unfortunately Sad . Just like you, no wii. I watched all the cutscenes on youtube a while ago.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 pm

ThomVD wrote:
I can't get the Chronicles unfortunately Sad . Just like you, no wii. I watched all the cutscenes on youtube a while ago.
Well then, just go for the Survivors and Outbreaks Very Happy Have you found anything interesting yet?
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah, I think so. And maybe Confidential report. I don't have a gameboy anymore, so I can't get Gaiden.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Too bad... Gaiden is a great title even though it gets a lot of bad rap.

Confidential Report is also a very good title. I like it how it actually has something to add to the series. That's actually why I like a lot of these spin-offs, they add a lot to the already awesome story.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Everything that adds something to the story is good for me.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 pm

It's nice to see someone interested in the spin-offs. So many dismiss them because of the bad reviews Sad
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:59 pm

I never cared about reviews. You cannot decide if a game is good until you played it yourself.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:08 pm

True that.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:14 pm

And there are some games that are made for hardcore fans only, and reviewers usually aren't hardcore fans (at least not on professional review sites like IGN).
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I wouldn't say IGN professional :/ Even their reviews tend to be crappy. I only visit them for FAQs and walkthroughs.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 pm

yup, IGN is pretty crap at the moment. But I meant for example Youtube reviews as non-professional reviews.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:51 pm

That's why I watch Classic Game Room for my reviews. Too bad Mark rarely does RE games, though :/

I'd watch reviews on ScrewAttack but they don't do reviews too often.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Was Mark that guy that always talked about Cosmic Carnage? If it was him, he reviewed CV (for dreamcast) and DSC as far as I remember.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:02 pm

That's the guy. He also reviewed RE5 but I kinda forgot that. The CV review is old as hell, though, the show still had a co-host at that point.

CGR Undertow also reviewed the Umbrella Chronicles but I don't quite like the Undertow reviews. Might be because of the reviewer.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:03 pm

He sounds like a little kid.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Yeah. Even though he's older than that I just can't get over it and I can't take a review made by a guy who sounds like a child seriously.
Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Same here. And he isn't nearly as funny as Mark.
Back to top Go down
Bub537
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
Bub537

Playstation Network Bub537

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 am

The only spinoff I've played was Outbreak but I loved it. I never got around to playing File #2 though. I wish they would make File #3 on PS3 and Xbox 360 that way it would have an actual dependable online network. I played the first Survivor too and it was okay. The first person thing just doesn't work in any RE game for me.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/#!/bubclifton
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 10:35 am

Bub537 wrote:
The only spinoff I've played was Outbreak but I loved it. I never got around to playing File #2 though. I wish they would make File #3 on PS3 and Xbox 360 that way it would have an actual dependable online network. I played the first Survivor too and it was okay. The first person thing just doesn't work in any RE game for me.
You should totally find File#2 and play it. We kinda got File#3 with ORC but it just isn't the same. The game looks awesomely cool, though, so I'm excited about it and gonna get it day one. I hope we'll get File#3 one day.

You should also play the last Survivor, Dead Aim. It's the second best RE I've played.
Back to top Go down
Bub537
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
Bub537

Playstation Network Bub537

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:23 pm

[quote="Mass Distraction"]
Bub537 wrote:
You should also play the last Survivor, Dead Aim. It's the second best RE I've played.

You've got to be kidding me? That's like the most maligned RE game of all time lol. It heard it was awful.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/#!/bubclifton
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 2:34 am

No. Dead Aim was awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the Resident Evil Spin-offs   the Resident Evil Spin-offs Empty

Back to top Go down

the Resident Evil Spin-offs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next