Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
A new genre for RE? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
A new genre for RE? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
A new genre for RE? EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
A new genre for RE? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
A new genre for RE? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
A new genre for RE? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
A new genre for RE? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
A new genre for RE? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
A new genre for RE? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

A new genre for RE?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

A new genre for RE? Empty
PostSubject: A new genre for RE?   A new genre for RE? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Well RE and it's genre, gameplay, etc. is the basis for a lot of debate, and I would like to know what others think about this. A lot of fans seem to be segregating RE's, and discriminating based on minor things.

I have a dream, that one day old RE gamers and new ones alike will be able to play together in harmony, peace, love and understanding.

To say RE1 & RE5 are the same, is stupid, because they aren't. RE has been changing with each addition to the series, but until only recently, it wasn't anything that anyone would get their panties in a bunch about...

The RE series seems to be separated by the titles such as, "Original", and "RE4 & RE5". The survival and the horror both seem to be in question when talking about "RE4 & RE5", and I have found myself defending them 'til the end.

Now obviously when talking about RE5, it has many, many, many parts in the game that are a little more action, a little less horror, and I don't care for it at all. RE5 is a great, wonderful, and terrific game. Great story, amazing and epic music, awesome voices(except one that I can think of), and really fun gameplay(except for the addition of new control schemes, aimed at FPS and 3rd Person action fans). RE still has the "tank" controls, whether it's camera angles, or over-the-shoulder, so it isn't that much of a difference.

Anyway, the reason I make this is because I was watching a younger person(9year old) play RE4, starting from the beginning, and I saw genuine horror and terror on the face of the person playing. Then I remembered my first time playing, although not the same fear, I remember having a few moments that were intense my first time, just like I did with RE1(the REmake anyway), RE2 & RE3, and CVX. RE5 has some really intense moments, with certain enemies, and situations, but maybe not the same kind of horror.

I wouldn't say RE5 didn't have any horror, but I wouldn't omit it entirely either. Anyway, I think RE5 is deserving of Survial/Action/Horror, maybe even in that order, but to say that RE4 was that, or to label it like that in a negative or derogatory way, is unjust, as it isn't deserving of that..Smile
Back to top Go down
BOBLATHON
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
BOBLATHON

Playstation Network BOBLATHON

PostSubject: Re: A new genre for RE?   A new genre for RE? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 10:19 am

Well, for me every RE has had that "Oh Shit!!!!" moment (or many) that just scared the ever living outa me. The zombie eating Kenneth cutscene in RE1 and dogs crashing through the windows, zombie arms coming through the boarded up windows and grabbing you in RE2, the constant threat of the Nemesis and the pit in your stomach when you hear him say STARS, etc.... You know what stands out to me most from 4? Tapping buttons to run from a giant statue of a midget.... I just did not find 4 scary at all, or RE5 for that matter. Could it be age? Probably, seeing as I was 12 or 13 when I played the first RE on PSOne and I was 22 when I played RE4. I didn't say I just outright hate the games, I just don't view them as horror games anymore... (with the exception of Lost in Nightmares DLC, they did it right with that one) Now, I just get this "here are a BUNCH of enemies, try not to run out of ammo" feel from the series.

I still believe that every game has brought at least one new feature that betters the series as a whole, especially RE4 with the context actions during cutscenes... In my opinion, this forces you to pay constant attention to the game, which in turn helps you understand the story that much more.
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: A new genre for RE?   A new genre for RE? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 8:49 pm

BOBLATHON wrote:
Well, for me every RE has had that "Oh Shit!!!!" moment (or many) that just scared the ever living outa me. The zombie eating Kenneth cutscene in RE1 and dogs crashing through the windows, zombie arms coming through the boarded up windows and grabbing you in RE2, the constant threat of the Nemesis and the pit in your stomach when you hear him say STARS, etc.... You know what stands out to me most from 4? Tapping buttons to run from a giant statue of a midget.... I just did not find 4 scary at all, or RE5 for that matter. Could it be age? Probably, seeing as I was 12 or 13 when I played the first RE on PSOne and I was 22 when I played RE4. I didn't say I just outright hate the games, I just don't view them as horror games anymore... (with the exception of Lost in Nightmares DLC, they did it right with that one) Now, I just get this "here are a BUNCH of enemies, try not to run out of ammo" feel from the series.

I still believe that every game has brought at least one new feature that betters the series as a whole, especially RE4 with the context actions during cutscenes... In my opinion, this forces you to pay constant attention to the game, which in turn helps you understand the story that much more.

I'm sure some of it relates to age, in fact, alot of it does. You have definitely given some great moments from previous games, but to say that you opinion is biased, wouldn't be much of a stretch. In your time here Bob, I've seen that you are definitely willing, when it comes to Capcom's new games, as well as being a devoted fan in general, which is nice.

Although, you seem to have missed or forgotten all of the things in RE4, that are simply reused, or adjusted and amended from previous games. RE3 had so many changes for it's time, including many action packed gameplay features. I think LIN was terrific as well, but RE4 was that same kind of horror, mostly. There are so many things that I could point out, but I don't feel like writing a novel right now(same goes for the things RE4 has incorporated from previous games, that some think makes it different, but really doesn't), so if I'm feeling up to it, I might sometime, but otherwise, I'm good & dandy with the somewhat more brief responses.Smile

I don't think being kept totally defenseless is something we should look down on. Now while RE4 did get some complaints, RE5 took it a step further, actually alot further, in a way that makes me feel bad about what we might get in RE6. RE5 was on the edge, but didn't entirely cross a line, however I do feel, that RE6 may turn RE into an action series...

RE4 & RE5, they simply changed the fixed angles, to one fixed angle behind the character. I have introduced the series to many people, and when trying to get them to play earlier games(like just recently with REDS on the DS), the angles threw them off, not that they couldn't get into it with time, as another person I tried to get into the series, starting with CVX, had a great time with it. Anyway, I was going to mention how the "tank" controls and movement, is still there, as well as how the aiming worked, etc. In fact, the controls are pretty much exactly the same.

In your second paragraph you mentioned each game adding at least one new feature, RE4 with the cutscene commands, or whatever they're called. That is probably taken from RE3, and it's decision thing, where it would go all negative and give you a choice, I think it is fair to say that that system, maybe combined with the primitive dodge system in the same game, were perfected for RE4.

Also, while age plays a role, I'm not sure if it would in RE5. I will try to get a younger person to play it, but having a partner, that really takes away alot from the horror aspect, just making it less scary...by far.

PS, anyway else mad that Capcom took out typewriters in RE5...? And while the doorscenes could get annoying, or you just might not care(I was never excited to see them, except in RE2 when two zombies actually entered via the door sequence), they could return, as RE4 & RE5 both had loading sequences for certain doors, to like new areas, which could totally be replaced by a classic door scene.
Back to top Go down
BOBLATHON
Crimson Head
Crimson Head
BOBLATHON

Playstation Network BOBLATHON

PostSubject: Re: A new genre for RE?   A new genre for RE? EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:16 pm

You know Spike, perhaps I am being a bit unfair to RE4.... I think that I judged it unfairly initially because, for me, it was too much of a strecth at the time. I think what I need to do is go dig out the Gamecube and give it another try. Perhaps my negative first impression skewed my opinion and now that some time has passed I will enjoy it more. Maybe I didn't react as harshly towards RE5 because it is somewhat "common place" now in the RE universe. That and being a fan since the original I give a lot more leniency to games involving the original cast. Chris, Jill, and Wesker really gave me that nostalgic feeling.... Im not sure why I didn't feel that way towards Leon in 4. Never been much of a Leon S. Kennedy fanboy anyway, but that is another topic on its own.

While I do miss the old fixed camera and "tank" controls, I do love the new camera angles. The over the shoulder camera angle is now the standard in many games, and for a good reason. My only complaint with those in RE4 and RE5 is the lack of the ability to strafe and move while aiming. You are right about the team element, while it does take away from the "survival" aspect of it, It did make it fun on replay because you can go through the game with friends.

As far as being a fan of the series.... If it has the Resident Evil "label" I will own it... Be it a movie, game, tshirt, book, etc... I have literally "grown up" with the series and will continue to follow it regardless.

On a side note, I finally picked up Umbrella Chronicles on Wii.... I'm liking it so far, and when I finish (If I can ever pry myself away from Nazi Zombies on COD WaW and now Alan Wake), I will go pick up Darkside.
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: A new genre for RE?   A new genre for RE? EmptySat May 22, 2010 5:23 pm

That is pretty fair. In terms of nostalgia, RE4 wasn't there. It did have Leon, and Ada & Wesker, which was great, as well as the new locations, but it didn't carry on any existing rivalries(although it created a new one, that existed before the game, Leon & Krauser).

RE4 & RE5 both had the tank controls, although RE5 introduced new control schemes, which made it play more like a 3rd person action game, aiming with L and shooting with R, as well as aiming with the right thumbstick, rather than the traditional aiming with R and shooting with the action button. I also hated how this was the default in RE5, so I had to go out of my way to play like RE should be. Furthermore, most people didn't care to change it, and just got used to it as well...

I'm a sap too, I will buy it if it is RE.

Speaking of UC, it is great, although rail-shooters aren't the best, it was fun. While UC was good, Darkside is so much better, a true 10/10, considering that it's a rail-shooter. Playing through RE2, CVX and Operation Javier, great experience. Also because most of the great voice actors returned to voice their characters in Darkside, unlike UC and it's entirely new/experimental cast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new genre for RE?   A new genre for RE? Empty

Back to top Go down

A new genre for RE?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Resident Evil :: Resident Evil Discussion-
Jump to: