HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?

Go down 
+3
Mcghie
Prince of Judah
Parabellum09
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Parabellum09
Raccoon Citizen
Raccoon Citizen
Parabellum09

Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? Empty
PostSubject: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 am

Now, I enjoyed the co-op aspect of RE5, in fact it brought me back to the game and adds a nice touch to replayability. But RE5 did lack that sense of dread and fear that loneliness seems to.
I like co-op but in survival horror I find it takes the horror out a bit and ramps the game more into an action horror sort of game. And while RE has opted the co-op I quite liked the fact that one of large survival horror players had remained distinctly solo: Dead Space, but we all know that co-op is also being introduced in that.

I believe it was the director (or possibly producer) who made a comment to a magazine that todays gamers don't like survival horror, hence for the push in RE for more action oriented play.
I think he is wrong, there is still a market out there for survival horror. I'd like to see a bit of diversity, instead of all developers conforming to a single consensus based wholly on profit.

As consumers, more and more developers are taking us for granted in what we like and it's refreshing to see a developer show a bit of individuality. I love COD, but I don't want every FPS to be a COD clone, just like I love RE but don't want every other survival horror to be an RE clone.

Back to top Go down
Prince of Judah
Cerberus
Cerberus
Prince of Judah

Steam : BigYehudah

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 am

ALL GAMES SHOULD HAVE CO-OP.
Back to top Go down
Mcghie
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
Mcghie

Steam : BioDeamz

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Yeah since the general gaming market is more towards action based titles, as that seems to be the hot topic within the gaming world this generation, Capcom had a lot of pressure when developing Resident Evil 5 because they thought survival horror wouldn't sell as much as it used to back in the good all days. They tried to find a formula that would balance both aspects of action and horror out, although the end result was more in favour of action but it still was a decent game, not as good as I was expecting from the earlier Beta stuff but not too shabby. The just wanted to try and get a wider audition drawn into the series but a lot of hardcore fans where not as impressed as they felt like Capcom had left there view and opinions out of the agenda.
I wouldn't go as far as too say they sold out there long time fans but I did feel a little let down that the game didn't have a little more focus on the horror aspect, things such as even taking the campaign co-op partner out would have helped as you would be alone against the horror's that await.
I do feel though that survival horror would sell in today's climate even it had no action within and just pure horror, Penumbra and Amnesia back this up.
YouTube directors also seem to have a big impact within the gaming community and can even turn peoples interest to another area of gaming, people such as PewdiePie, Cry, Psychedelic Snake and others are helping bring horror games to the limelight.
More and more people are playing horror because they idolize these guys and see them getting scared shitless that it makes people go and purchase the game and summon up the bravery to play horrors and they also find the fun element in getting scared (just like the way it used to be back in 90's early 2000)

So I do say survival horror is not metaphorically dead just yet, it is coming back with a vengeance and this in turn might see game developers such as Capcom and konami go slightly further back to there roots and make more horror based games or even bring a little more horror back to there titles.
I see that RE6 is slightly more horror based and is shaping up to a one HUUUUUGGGGEE game. I like that they have finally found a winning formula to keep all types of gamers happy and also a little extra to keep long time RE fans happy as well.
Not saying Resident Evil will ever to the original way it was because in all fairness it has to progress with the times but at least it's brining more horror back to the series.

I think games in all should have a Co-op mode but not in campaign.
Leave co-op for online and such, although for certain games co-op campaign is good but leave it out of horror titles.

A little off topic here but then so was some of my material in this post

In case you didn't know already Shinji Mikami (original Resident Evil developer)
is in the midst of making is own True survival horror, he want's to try and go back to his roots and create a game that focuses on pure survival and terror.
The code name for it just now is "Zwei" but by the sounds of it and concept renders that have been released the game looks like it be something unique and terrifying.
Defiantly keep you eye on the development of this game.

PROJECT PAGE
http://tangogameworks.com/project/index_en.html

ARTICLE FOR IT
http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/technology/ingame/zwei-has-father-resident-evil-returning-his-roots-737171

Back to top Go down
ThomVD
Spec Ops Field Unit
Spec Ops Field Unit
ThomVD

Playstation Network ThomVD

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Prince of Judah wrote:

Not every game. In a game like shadow of the colossus it would only ruin the lonely atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Mcghie
Leech Zombie
Leech Zombie
Mcghie

Steam : BioDeamz

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:00 pm

ThomVD wrote:
Prince of Judah wrote:

Not every game. In a game like shadow of the colossus it would only ruin the lonely atmosphere.

God what a game SOTC was :')
Such beauty and originality.
Ico was a great game as well.
Back to top Go down
PAULSAMSON
STARS Bravo Team
STARS Bravo Team
PAULSAMSON

Playstation Network DARIOC2013

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:04 pm

In my personal opinion, co-op and survival are opposite terms because I think that you ahve to be on your own to survive.

@Mcghie: come on dude, that's too fucking long to read
Back to top Go down
DXP
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
DXP

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 2:53 am

Prince of Judah wrote:

Subjective...not every game needs co-op Resident Evil 1/4 never had co-op and they sold and played perfectly, outbreak had both offline and online co-op again worked perfectly.

Did RE5 need co-op? no not really they just tacked that on to make it more gears of evil more than anything and hell did I hate co-op(dumb AI is one of the reasons.)I prefer single player games because I can enjoy the game more than if I had 7 other people on mics spewing abuse at each other, Dead space 1 and 2 never needed co-op and now it has for 3.... that would be like taking Mass Effect and shoving a co-op mode on that it would ruin the entire experience. If I want co-op I want it local not online only something that capcom should have really done for RE5....
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 6:30 am

I don't really mind co-op in games like RE. I do, however, only play the campaign co-op splitscreen and use online strictly for minigames. RE6 is really shaping out to be a great title, not only because it's long but also because it garners to all kinds of fans. Campaigns based on action and horror seperately BUT also with that one solo campaign. They really overdid themselves with this one. I'll propably co-op Chris and Jake scenarios and leave Leon, and Ada of course, as single player experiences.

You mentioned Dead Space being a large survival horror title that has kept itself as strictly solo, at least till 3, but there is a couple of more actually big horror series that have kept themselves as solo. As I'm actually accustomed to RE being co-op and less horror now, I go to games like Project Zero, Siren and Silent Hill for single player horror. There actually is two SH titles with multiplayer but those are only spinoffs so... yeah. Haven't played them either, sadly.

Too bad that out of the series I mentioned Siren has kinda vanished after three games and a movie. The production team, Project Siren, does still exist and they even released a new game this year.

Addendum: I do prefer multiplayer on zombie survival games. It's always fun trying to make the best of what you have and survive with your friends and random people. Games like Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, DayZ, Dead Nation, Dead Rising and even the CoD zombie mode come to mind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?   Survival co-op: good, bad? In between? Empty

Back to top Go down

Survival co-op: good, bad? In between?
Page 1 of 1