HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Resident Evil Netflix
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm by Ghost Leader

» I'm back
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 9:29 pm by Ghost Leader

» Resident Evil 4 Remake has been announced!!
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptySun Feb 19, 2023 8:24 am by Nobudy

» Every So Often
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 pm by Ghost Leader

» My Custom statues of Resident Evil series (Updated thread)
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am by pit80

» Resident Evil: Assignment Ada Plus (v1.0)
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 pm by AngelOfSorrow

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptySat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am by AngelOfSorrow

» Check out this BRAND NEW Fan Film of the original games!
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 1:31 am by Ghost Leader

» It's coming!
Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 4:47 pm by Ghost Leader

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month
No user

Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story

Go down 
+6
Mass Distraction
CrimsonElder
Outbreakgirl
Nobudy
Vandal
00biohazard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story Empty
PostSubject: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 pm

WHY I ENJOYED THE HELL OUT OF RE5's STORY

by 00biohazard

Greetings fellow REF members. Today I felt like writing this article, due to the fact that many fans consider RE5 a weak entry in the series, a monotonous action shooter with the name RE slapped on it. Many claimed this was a sellout move, and hey, who am I to disagree with you. But one thing, one crucial element that remains underrated from this great game, is the story. The brilliance of the story is something that took me several playthroughs to fully understand, and I'm glad I did. Compared to the story of the other RE games, this one stands out, in more ways than one. Now, stating that this VG is free from the cheesy dialogue that RE is famous for would just be a flat out lie.This game is chalk full of the hollywood clichés, but done so in a manner that proves itself highly more sophisticated than its predecessor's. So without further ado, I will explain why I consider the story of RE5 to be a great one within the series.

IT'S A CHARACTER DRIVEN TALE

Understanding who the protagonist of this story is and where he comes from is vital to fully appreciate the narrative. We encounter Chris Redfield, a character who we hadn't seen since UC set in 2003 (and canonwise, since the LIN chapter). Here Chris explains, in a very realistic move by Capcom, that since the demise of Umbrella, B.O.W black market trafficking and terrorist attacks are the new threat, and the places these affect most are the developing, war torn countries. The game thus indicates that Chris has been facing these threats alone, changed forever since the events of 1998. This gives us a glimpse into who Chris is now, a veteran who works alongside military groups to stop these attacks. A post 9/11 world calls for such a grim view on world affairs, and seeing our once childhood heroes who faced monsters in a creepy mansion, now facing the horrors of war and evil for profit, gives us the sense that he's grown up alongside us. We also learn that Chris' partner and fan favorite, Jill Valentine, is dead. Another realistic blow to us fans, proving that our characters aren't invincible, and that death can affect everyone, even VG protagonists.

One thing present in RE5, and that I believed to be nothing short of genius, that within this fantastic world of science fiction, it is an ordinary man subject to extraordinary situations (the exception being when Chris punches the boulder)meaning, that they proceed with this outbreak just like they would proceed with it in real life. No convaluted plot to keep the characters in a claustrophobic ambient for camera angles. What happens is what would really have happened. Back on point, Chris is there to interfere with a blackmarket weapons deal headed by Ricardo Irving, a known black market dealer. But it is later revealed that Chris had information that his ex partner was alive, and that she was in a facility located in Africa. Chris was obviously never the same after the death of Jill. He was already a cold and solitary type soldier, but afer her death, and as the game reveals, he is even more of a cynic than before. We must also keep in mind that the ultimate enemy of the series antagonist, Wesker has always been Chris, and that he is the MAIN protagonist of the series (more than Jill, Claire, or Leon). Therefore, keeping this game focused on Chris Redfield, and the soon to be revealed antagonist, Albert Wesker, gave the game a higher meaning, higher stakes, and you felt for Redfield as he moved through the events of the game.

Chris is acquainted with a new partner, Sheva Alomar, and is subject to situations completely new to him (Chris had only faced zombies and other types of B.O.W.s, never Ganado and Majini). Going through Africa, seeing the extremely violent people and the monstrous creations, only ups the ante for Chris, as he is introduced to new characters and locations (Josh Stone, Delta Team). I was actually relieved that this didn't become an ''OKAY LET'S THROW CHRIS TOGETHER WITH OLD CHARACTERS LIKE BARRY AND CARLOS, OR REBECCA!!'', which would just seem random and out of place, or better said less realistic.

I'll write part two later today or over the weekend, since I have alot to say Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Well one thing I didn't like was that they did kill off Jill in-game, it probably was good for the characters but in the real world we all knew Jill was alive, Wesker was apart of the game, and Jill was working for Wesker. So to the fans this was a slap in the face, that should have been kept secret, instead of revealing the two in the trailers. It also would have been better if Jill had died in a previous game, rather than in Resident Evil 5's story; it should also be noted that Chris found out about Jill halfway in the beginning, and not prior to when the story took place, he didn't come to Africa for Jill, she was already there, which happens to be really convenient for Chris.

While these things are good for the characters it's not good for the audience playing the game. I do agree with you about the development of Chris, I stick by what I mean. Chris hasn't fought against las plagas before, be we have. It's good for Chris as a character, but not good for the audience.

I also would agree with you about something I previously wouldn't agree to prior to reading this, Sheva and Josh are important to the realism of the story, and it's good they were there instead of Barry who was actually planned to be Chris' partner through the game.
Back to top Go down
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Mercy wrote:
Well one thing I didn't like was that they did kill off Jill in-game, it probably was good for the characters but in the real world we all knew Jill was alive, Wesker was apart of the game, and Jill was working for Wesker. So to the fans this was a slap in the face, that should have been kept secret, instead of revealing the two in the trailers. It also would have been better if Jill had died in a previous game, rather than in Resident Evil 5's story; it should also be noted that Chris found out about Jill halfway in the beginning, and not prior to when the story took place, he didn't come to Africa for Jill, she was already there, which happens to be really convenient for Chris.

While these things are good for the characters it's not good for the audience playing the game. I do agree with you about the development of Chris, I stick by what I mean. Chris hasn't fought against las plagas before, be we have. It's good for Chris as a character, but not good for the audience.

I also would agree with you about something I previously wouldn't agree to prior to reading this, Sheva and Josh are important to the realism of the story, and it's good they were there instead of Barry who was actually planned to be Chris' partner through the game.

Chris actually requested to be in the operation to capture Irving beforehand. It was him who informed the BSAA of the weapon's deal.

Quote from RE5 FILES:

''After informing the BSAA African Branch about Irving, Chris urgently requested permission to participate in the operation to arrest Irving. As fro the reasons he wished to participate in this mission, Chris would not comment. Whether he is withholding information or not is unclear''.

Coincidece? want more proof? After you kill the Gigante dude there's a cutscene, where Chris talks about his personal stake. He says that before he had received intel that his old partner was alive. He says he didn't know what to think UNTIL he saw the data file. He had already been told somewhere that Jill was alive, BEFORE the story, and he requested special permission to go on the Irving mission. Look it up.
Back to top Go down
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Mercy wrote:

Barry was originally Chris' partner for 5? That would've made no sense seeing as Barry would already at least 48-49. Yes some people are still very active at that age, but it would still feel strange.
Back to top Go down
Vandal
Admin
Admin
Vandal

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 5:43 pm

00biohazard wrote:
Chris actually requested to be in the operation to capture Irving beforehand. It was him who informed the BSAA of the weapon's deal.

Quote from RE5 FILES:

''After informing the BSAA African Branch about Irving, Chris urgently requested permission to participate in the operation to arrest Irving. As fro the reasons he wished to participate in this mission, Chris would not comment. Whether he is withholding information or not is unclear''.

Coincidece? want more proof? After you kill the Gigante dude there's a cutscene, where Chris talks about his personal stake. He says that before he had received intel that his old partner was alive. He says he didn't know what to think UNTIL he saw the data file. He had already been told somewhere that Jill was alive, BEFORE the story, and he requested special permission to go on the Irving mission. Look it up.
I believe you, it makes it respectable. So he went to Africa intending to search for Jill, I wish they had made that more clear in the game, halfway through the game that's all he's saying, Excella even pokes fun at that almost in a breaking the fourth wall type of way; but I still didn't get that vibe from Chris that that's the reason he went to Africa. If Jill had been worked into Chris' monologue I might see it, but either way they should have had that in so the audience wouldn't have to go out of their way to know the story part of the story. It is good that that's the reason he went to Africa, I wish they made it more obvious though.

I'm confused about after the fight with the ndesu, didn't Josh show him a picture of Jill? I thought that was the point where Chris was sure about Jill. Clear this up for me?

@Nobudy: Wesker was near 50 years old, but of course he was high on Uroboros.
Back to top Go down
Outbreakgirl
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Outbreakgirl

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 10:16 pm

I thought the story is kind of meh. All I keep hearing is Chris bitching moaning about Jill that it's kind of hard for me to stay focused.

Back to top Go down
00biohazard
Select Police Force
Select Police Force
00biohazard

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Mercy wrote:
00biohazard wrote:

Quote from RE5 FILES:

I believe you, it makes it respectable. So he went to Africa intending to search for Jill, I wish they had made that more clear in the game, halfway through the game that's all he's saying, Excella even pokes fun at that almost in a breaking the fourth wall type of way; but I still didn't get that vibe from Chris that that's the reason he went to Africa. If Jill had been worked into Chris' monologue I might see it, but either way they should have had that in so the audience wouldn't have to go out of their way to know the story part of the story. It is good that that's the reason he went to Africa, I wish they made it more obvious though.

I'm confused about after the fight with the ndesu, didn't Josh show him a picture of Jill? I thought that was the point where Chris was sure about Jill. Clear this up for me?

@Nobudy: Wesker was near 50 years old, but of course he was high on Uroboros.

Chris sees the file with Jill's photo after he is recued by Delta team in Kijuju. He sees this picture, which confirms the intel he had recieved before the mission. After the Ndesu fight, Chris says he had received intel saying Jill was alive (beforehand) and that at first he didn't know what to think, but only AFTER he saw the data file, he knew for sure that Jill was still alive.
Back to top Go down
CrimsonElder
Helicopter Pilot
Helicopter Pilot
CrimsonElder

Playstation Network Jimlew316

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 11:22 am

I thought it was a great story. One of my favorites. Maybe in time people will look back and think abit more highly of this game. That was the case with RE4 alot of hardcores were pissed but in time they grew to love it.

I was more hyped for RE5 than I am for RE6 and for good reason. I think it had a much better story to it and it was the conclussion to the old ways of the series. RE6 seems like its the beginning of a new chapter or at least I hope it is. I dont want RE6 to be just a game that adds nothing to the series.

RE5 has some very emotional scenes. I actually prefer the controls for 5 over 6. Its more of a slower pace which has no silly diving around. It feels like I waited an eternity for RE5 but I just worked it out and we only waited an extra 4 months for RE5 than we did for 6. Thats kinda shocking.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:00 pm

CrimsonElder wrote:
I dont want RE6 to be just a game that adds nothing to the series.
I dunno about that. It already is adding quite a lot like Chris meeting Leon, Sherry coming back and Albert having a son.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twitch.tv/massdistraction
Nobudy
Hunter
Hunter
Nobudy

Playstation Network Clowngoon

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 4:20 pm

I'd be even Bigger if they decide to feature All of the surviving characters of the series in a future game (Final game) as DLC or something else.
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 2:30 am

Being DLC would most likely mean they're characters in Mercs or something which would not be a good conclusion to their stories. UNLESS you attach some prologues to each of them.
Back to top Go down
Mister Albert Wesker
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Mister Albert Wesker

Playstation Network the-evilking
Steam : Hoxton47

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Because of Wesker ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
will1234562
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
will1234562

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 11:25 am

I really liked the story in RE5 - it had some bad moments like Sheva acting too happy at times or Wesker's screams,but everything else was great.
Definitely better than RE4 - it might sound ironic,but for most of the time I really had the feeling that I'm playing in an "American movie" Laughing ,though the parts with Ada and Krauser were refreshing.
As for being scary - RE5 wasn't scary,but RE4 wasn't either - it had a few creepy moment,but it wasn't that much different than RE5.To honest Lost in Nightmares beats both RE4 and 5 in being scary or maybe it's just my love for creepy mansions and castles Laughing .
Back to top Go down
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin
Mass Distraction

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:16 pm

will1234562 wrote:
maybe it's just my love for creepy mansions and castles Laughing .
Maybe you're just Jamesy in disguise.
Back to top Go down
will1234562
Umbrella Scientist
Umbrella Scientist
will1234562

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:

Maybe you're just Jamesy in disguise.
I don't even know who that is.
Back to top Go down
Spike991
User BANNED
User BANNED

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 1:23 am

00biohazard wrote:

Chris is acquainted with a new partner, Sheva Alomar, and is subject to situations completely new to him (Chris had only faced zombies and other types of B.O.W.s, never Ganado and Majini).

Well he may not have personally faced Las Plagas infectees, but he had read about them in the Kennedy Report at least.

And I'm sure he had faced violent offenders of the law as a STARS and probably police officer.

And yes, RE5 did have an awesome story, sort of. I feel like it would've been better if Sheva wasn't forced, but otherwise, the stuff with Chris, Jill(Bird Mask disguise) and Wesker were cool. Definately liked the BSAA and the new threat introduced, the black market stuff, like with Irving and BOWs. It really gives RE more purpose. I mean, Umbrella being gone, but RE isn't over, we have more Umbrella leftovers and psychos using BOWs for whatever terrorist schemes. RER, RE5, Degen, Damnation, etc. Shows that RE can continue without Umbrella. Even though we all love Umbrella!
Back to top Go down
Industrial Ridden
RPD Officer
RPD Officer
Industrial Ridden

Playstation Network Jagerdu

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 8:45 am

I loved this game, and it would of made it to my top 5 games of all time but...Sheva ruined it for me. And I never really considered Jill to be dead. I just thought wesker saved her and did experiments and what not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story   Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I enjoyed the hell out of RESIDENT EVIL 5's Story
Page 1 of 1