» Your first Zombie Film
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:35 am by Bulls-3ye

» London Tube Map in RE1 REmake
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:07 am by zeolite

» What do you want for future games?
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:36 pm by Ssplain

» What has happen??
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 am by Nobudy

» Many new Resident Evil announcements coming this year!
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:30 am by Bulls-3ye

» Resident Evil 3.5 Revival
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:27 pm by DeathShadows

Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posting users this month

Share | 

Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

Playstation Network MassDistraction
Steam : MassDistraction

PostSubject: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Everyone propably knows that Resident Evil is considered one of the founding fathers of survival horror. It started a franchise that would take a nuclear blast to be eradicated, if only for a while before the next outbreak would happen... That all said, how many actually know the story behind Resident Evil?

It's not like the creators of the original game just came up with an awesome idea including an isolated mansion and evil creatures that go bump in the night. The original game was supposed to be a reimagining of a 1989 Capcom horror title Sweet Home. If you live anywhere outside of Japan it's unlikely you have ever heard of or played this game since it was released only for the Famicom and never ported on any other system. The game was based on a movie with the same name and they were released simultaneously.

"Shinji Mikami was initially commissioned to make a horror game set in a haunted mansion like Sweet Home."
-taken from The True Story Behind Bio Hazard

Here's a synopsis and some gameplay stuff for Sweet Home:
The game features a group of people going to investigate a supposedly haunted mansion in the middle of the woods and try to restore and document some frescoes located there. The team include Kazuo (team leader and producer of the documentary), Ryo (cameraman), Akiko (medic), Asuka (art restorer, though I always thought of her as a maid) and Emi (daughter of Kazuo). After getting stuck in the mansion in the beginning you can team up in groups of 3 people max. Although being an rpg style game (leveling, equipping weapons and random battles) it relies heavily on survival as any of your characters can die in battle or as a result of an event, never to be revived. The ending also differs depending on what you have done and which characters survived the mansion. The game also features a manageable inventory system, later implemented in the Resident Evil games.

Now it's time to give a rundown on stuff that the games have in common. All of the characters in Sweet Home carry a special item with them from the beginning and two of those were later used in Resident Evil: Kazuo has a lighter and Emi has some kind of a master key (usage similar to the lock pick). The game featured elaborate puzzles, door opening sequences, creepy music, gory imagery (something unusual in an early Nintendo game), backtracking, and the use of scattered memos and diaries as storytelling mechanics all of which we are familiar with the Resident Evil series. And let's not forget the mansion setting and emphasis on survival. There's also supposed to be death animations and "save rooms" which enable storing of items but I haven't had anyone die on me and I'm not that far into the game that as of now I have not seen any of these "save rooms". The game also had zombies as regular enemies. Still, the most shocking similarity I encountered while playing the game was the door opening sequences.

"Loading screen" comparison:

Other similarities can be associated with early versions of Resident Evil 4. The game was supposed to have more to do with possession and haunting, much like Sweet Home 15 years earlier. The version now known as the Hooked Man Version featured possessed dolls as enemies (seen in the short gameplay trailer) while they were commonly encountered in Sweet Home. Interestingly enough, the original version of Resident Evil 4 got made into a different game (DMC) just like what happened to the original Resident Evil being a remake of Sweet Home.

Long story short, without this movie we would never have encountered
the evil that resided in the Spencer mansion deep within Raccoon woods...

Thanks for your time, this sure took a lot of mine. If someone decides this is worth being a sticky, I'll be most honored.

Interesting fact: Nokko, who plays Emi in the movie, is the lead singer in a band called Rebecca.

COMMUNITY:
Resident Evil Forums Facebook: [link]
Resident Evil Forums Steam Group: [link]
Come check my Let's Plays: [link]

Last edited by Mass Distraction on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://colmillos.deviantart.com/
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 pm

i like it.. the movie and the game.... theres so much you can compare with RE specially the loading screens, i wonder where can i get it?

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros

Playstation Network NiteKrawler

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm

I've seen a lot of gameplay of it. Did you make this whole thing Mass?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Yes, it took a good while of research over the net and about one or two hours to write and find the pictures. I also have some experience from the game so it made this a bit easier.

@ace: The movie might be available on DVD somewhere, haven't been able to find it yet but I sure want to see it. The game you propably need to have imported or if you're lucky you might be able to get one from ebay. Thanks for the thumbs up Very Happy

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:07 pm

i might give a watch on the movie.. is it the 1973 film... ... ... where one girl is named... 'claire' ? or is it the 1981 movie... both seemed like horror movies... i also have a feeling that these movies are origins of cluedo the movie and board game Rolling Eyes ...

also the game is much similar to final fantasy with the RPG style... it seems like square is attempting to make a horror game but failed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:00 am

As I said in the post the movie came out the same year (1989) and all the characters had the same names as the ones in the game. The only strange resemblance to a RE character by name was that one of the actors was a singer in the band "Rebecca".

And yeah, every rpg style game might've looked like FF back in the day as the developers were limited by the hardware. This game was by Capcom though.

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:40 am

capcom huh... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:04 am

Oh come on, it reads in the post Very Happy

Oh holy crap, just noticed! A thousand thanks for the one who made this into a sticky! I did so much work on this that I couldn't be happier.

I can somehow see it was Nite Laughing

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
NiteKrawler
Uroboros
Uroboros

Playstation Network NiteKrawler

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:03 pm

I think it is important that every RE fan knows of Sweet Home and how it affected RE and this was brilliantly done so you deserve it. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:48 am

Thank you so much Very Happy I wanted to make this info accessible to other fans.

Btw. I wonder if that band, Rebecca, is still out there?

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 3:59 am

so i found a sweet home nes file i started to play it using nestopia, it's very hard theres tons of pizzles and you can also get poisoned.. this is good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 4:12 am

Oh yes, it's an awesome game. I wish I could find an original cartridge... That would make my collection about 20% cooler What a Face

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 4:59 am

kind of like 3.5...
theres evil dolls and spirits
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 am

ace.redfield wrote:
kind of like 3.5...
theres evil dolls and spirits
Yeah, the Hooked Man version. I made a point about that in the original post.

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 5:27 am

by the way, it's hard for me to get familiar with the names
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 5:50 am

What can I say, Japanese names Very Happy

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 6:09 am

i should have named, kazuo chris, because he has the lighter, akiko as rebecca, because she's a medic, emi as jill, because of the lockpick...

i'm confused with all of them confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 6:17 am

ace.redfield wrote:
i should have named, kazuo chris, because he has the lighter, akiko as rebecca, because she's a medic, emi as jill, because of the lockpick...

See what they did there? The resemblance is uncanny! Oh I love digging up stuff like this Razz

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 6:24 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
ace.redfield wrote:

See what they did there? The resemblance is uncanny! Oh I love digging up stuff like this Razz

yeah, btw i've mistaken the key for a lockpick Razz

it's weird how the lighter could do a big damage to enemies, but it is fun Smile
and i don't find the vacuum very useful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 6:37 am

ace.redfield wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
ace.redfield wrote:

it's weird how the lighter could do a big damage to enemies, but it is fun Smile
The vacuum is only useful in refurbishing some of the frescoes and getting stuff like glass out of the way. The lighter is more powerful against bugs and stuff like that, it's a good basic weapon.

Emi has some kind of a master key (usage similar to the lock pick). Well, at least that's how I see it.

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 6:50 am

Mass Distraction wrote:
ace.redfield wrote:
Mass Distraction wrote:
ace.redfield wrote:

The vacuum is only useful in refurbishing some of the frescoes and getting stuff like glass out of the way. The lighter is more powerful against bugs and stuff like that, it's a good basic weapon.

Emi has some kind of a master key (usage similar to the lock pick). Well, at least that's how I see it.

i see... i could compare that vacuum man to barry, since they're both just helping hands....
the key 'is' like the lockpick, it could open doors but not all, similar to some doors in RE... Razz

.... though jill died... er.. emi... and what killed her was this......
Spoiler:

Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 2:07 pm

The person with the vacuum is a woman Very Happy I thought of the cameraman as a Barry like person.

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
ace.redfield
Crimson Head
Crimson Head

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sat May 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Mass Distraction wrote:
The person with the vacuum is a woman Very Happy I thought of the cameraman as a Barry like person.

Laughing can't really tell the gender of the character
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mass Distraction
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:12 am

You know, I've been watching some Fatal Frame walkthrough videos and that game remind me of Sweet Home a whole lot! The cameras, the spirits and the creepy mansion setting. These thing seem to be some kind of urban legends or something like that in Japan. I still wonder if Tecmo had some inspiration from Sweet Home. A bit of the gameplay also reminds me of Resident Evil.

COMMUNITY:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.   

Back to top Go down

Home, Sweet Home... Where it all began.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next